VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re definitely missing some young developing mids on the list to dominate VFL games to help our performance.

I remember the days of Lukas Webb getting 30 touches and kicking a goal every week.

We’re definitely missing some young developing mids on the list to dominate VFL games to help our performance.

I remember the days of Lukas Webb getting 30 touches and kicking a goal every week.

West used to do that. Second in the Liston trophy in his first year.

VDM looks absolutely miles off it. Cleary and the usual Sweet ruck dominance the only positives. Clarke been a bit more lively in the third, can see him being similar to Arty Jones and looking a lot better at AFL level, still needs some time though.

My well considered thoughts after only watching the last 2 minutes of the game.

Oh to be a fringe player in this side!

The only chance you have to gain promotion is for the MC to completely ignore what they see with their own eyes.

And the umpiring is always s**t at this level. Any real contact between players seems to be strictly verboten.

Surely this isn't also a direct pathway into the AFL as well?

My well considered thoughts after only watching the last 2 minutes of the game.

Oh to be a fringe player in this side!

The only chance you have to gain promotion is for the MC to completely ignore what they see with their own eyes.

And the umpiring is always s**t at this level. Any real contact between players seems to be strictly verboten.

Surely this isn't also a direct pathway into the AFL as well?
Biggest issue is this is an average competition.

In saying that, no one promoted outside Hannan amd Mc Comb to a lesser extent have not been in the best for a couple of games in a row

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the second half.

O'Brien and Cleary the only standouts.

Buku was serviceable.

Rest were pretty average imo.

Busslinger has a bit of work to do on his defensive game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took a great contested mark in the third which was a highlight
Any idea how he's developing overall? Is he looking like that crumbing small forward we've been looking for?

It's early days of course. I remember this time last year Arty Jones looked a mile off playing senior footy let alone playing well at that level and yet look at how far he's come in 12 months.

Most young recruits need a year or two in the system. So I'm not trying to be judgemental, just trying to get a handle on how he's tracking.

What one can hope for is the occasional flash of brilliance to see what they might become. Maybe that contested mark is a sign of things to come but I was hoping we might have seen a few crumbing goals by now.

Any idea how he's developing overall? Is he looking like that crumbing small forward we've been looking for?

It's early days of course. I remember this time last year Arty Jones looked a mile off playing senior footy let alone playing well at that level and yet look at how far he's come in 12 months.

Most young recruits need a year or two in the system. So I'm not trying to be judgemental, just trying to get a handle on how he's tracking.

What one can hope for is the occasional flash of brilliance to see what they might become. Maybe that contested mark is a sign of things to come but I was hoping we might have seen a few crumbing goals by now.

I wouldn't be toooo stressed. Had an interrupted pre season. Even Weightman took a little while to get going.

Clarke gets to the right spots, but he doesn’t have a motor or the build to stand up against senior men.

His work ethic needs to be spot on if his to make it at the level. And his looked lazy when I’ve seen him play which is frustrating.

You don’t get long as a small foward, even if you a high pick. So I hope that he puts in the work over the next preseason.

Just sat through this replay. Wow.

We are extremely lucky to be only missing Ads from our best 23.

If we cop several injuries in a short period of time we are in strife.
That’s really not correct. There are players like Garcia and Bedendo on the injury list who would be good replacements.

Some players are also better at the higher level. VFL grounds, umpiring etc is generally rubbish… wouldn’t be putting too much stock in it

That’s really not correct. There are players like Garcia and Bedendo on the injury list who would be good replacements.

Some players are also better at the higher level. VFL grounds, umpiring etc is generally rubbish… wouldn’t be putting too much stock in it
Our 22 has been stable but our depth has been hammered with injuries this year which is a little frustrating, the young guys that we want pushing the fringes of the 22 like Garcia, Bedendo, Darcy, Gallagher haven’t really had a look at it and then a few of the older depth like Rourke, Bruce, Croz, TOB, VDM all have missed games.

It makes for ugly viewing in the 2s when it’s mostly pretty average VFL players and some talented kids still finding their feet rounding out the team

Surely Cleary gets another game soon

*hopefully in his natural position
Is he that intercepting/rebounding backman sort?

While I would like to see him get some game time, I feel like it would be hard to push out the likes of Duryea, Dale, Richard and JJ at the moment? Even Crozier was doing well for us before his injury.

Jedd Busslinger
18 disposals, eight marks, five rebound 50s

“It’s nice to see Jedd start to get that continuity in playing now and getting up to speed. He’s getting his hands on the footy, and I love the way that he uses the ball. The more times we can get it in his hands, the better it is for us. He’s just growing in confidence each week.”

Charlie Clarke
Six disposals, one mark, one inside 50

“Charlie’s been getting back to the basics – he had a couple of nice plays within the game to stay in the chain. He’s shown that he’s a very good overhead marker, so for a young guy coming through and finding his feet we’ll keep exploring what he can do and how he can improve each week.”

Hayden Crozier
14 disposals, four marks, five rebound 50s

“Croz just comes with that great attitude of an AFL-listed player – no matter what’s thrown at him, he tends to settle everyone around him whilst filling his roles. We always love having him there as a sort of rock for everyone – not just the backline but for the group in general. He’s making good strides.”

Rhylee West
13 disposals, eight tackles, three inside 50s

“It could’ve been a massive game for Westy if he finished his work in front of goal, but I can never question his desire or appetite for the contest – he’s got that in spades. It was a tough day for that sort of mid-forward type of player, but he battled well for the whole day. To his credit, he was able to carry that effort from start to finish.”

Toby McLean
14 disposals, five marks, eight tackles

“It was a game that suited Toby – that more congested and churning contest-to-contest type. He had someone sit on him, which he’ll get every now and then, but his ability to come help his teammates out was great.”

Tim O’Brien
19 disposals, 12 marks, five rebound 50s

“Tim was probably our best on ground. He intercepted everything – his willingness to generate and energise our offence off the back of reading the cues meant he was pretty much a roadblock for Werribee getting to goal. He was first-class. With that sort of calibre, attitude and application – he was probably unlucky to miss that week (through injury). He’s picked up from where he left off.”

9TryNslt.jpg

02:03MINS
Published 2 days ago

VFL RD8 | Match Highlights​

Check out the highlights from the clash against Werribee
Laitham Vandermeer
10 disposals, five marks, three inside 50s, two clearances

“Like I said, that sort of smaller forward type of player had a tough day, but if we had have used the ball a bit better he might’ve finished as a gamebreaker. He got himself into great positions – with an AFL quality person around, the times that he can give to his teammates is great.”

Buku Khamis
13 disposals, seven marks, two inside 50s, three goals, seven hit-outs

“Buks got a bit more ruck time this week. He actually competed very well, particularly in the combat side of the game through the middle which was pleasing to see. As a forward, he doesn’t need many opportunities to hurt a side and have that quality in front of goal when he gets his opportunities. It was a nice game.”

Robbie McComb
17 disposals, three marks, two inside 50s, four clearances

“Again, the game really suited that smaller combative type – I think our mids had their hands full with Werribee’s mids, but they battled really well to win their fair share of the ball and try to generate some offence for us. I enjoyed watching Robbie.”

Mitch Hannan
12 disposals, six tackles, two clearances

“Mitch had a bit of wing time, which was nice – especially for someone with those sort of attributes and ground-level speed. It was good to see Mitch going to make the play rather than waiting for it to come to him. He did some nice things down forward as well – his pressure and that cannon-ball sort of nature that he plays with, is always good to have in the side.”

Luke Cleary
20 disposals, five marks, six rebound 50s

“Clizz just keeps building and building. He keeps stepping in the right direction, and is starting to piece together some nice form. He’s taken the learnings on board each week and is implementing a lot of them well. He’s progressing really nicely.”

Cody Raak
11 disposals, four marks, two rebound 50s

“Raaky came forward after starting in the backline. He’s had a bit of a mixed bag the last couple of weeks, but his attitude and application to that is unwavering. He just takes it on board and tries to do things to the best of his ability to help the side. It takes a lot of courage to swap roles like that in-game as it’s not easy, but he was able to impact in front of the ball with us a couple of nice contests. He’s putting himself in the right positions which is good.”

Jordon Sweet
12 disposals, six tackles, five clearances, 53 hit-outs, one goal

“Having that ruck dominance – it’s always nice to have a big fellow like that who can give our mids good access. He just keeps building. He had a little bit of time in front of the footy which was nice too, and was able to get on the end of a chain to kick a goal. If our big guys can be doing that, it definitely makes life easier for everyone else. It was another nice hit-out from Sweety.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back