VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve killed our Bukus development by playing him as a lone FF/2nd ruck for the better part of two years.

The guy is a 4th tall and would be a bloody talented one

Laughable that people are suggesting he’s not playing midfield at VFL level because he’s not good enough - he’s quite clearly our best Mid.

I understand him playing forward though because rightly or wrongly that’s where he will play at AFL level.
I do not know where that narrative came from.

Dude just side stepped 3 players and burst out of the centre.

He also hit someone clean on the chest streaming inside 50- off his non preferred too.

Just play him Bevo.

I do not know where that narrative came from.

Dude just side stepped 3 players and burst out of the centre.

He also hit someone clean on the chest streaming inside 50- off his non preferred too.

Just play him Bevo.
I’d love to see him get an extended run alongside AJ & Cody at the feet of Marra, Naughty and Lobb - would be some serious heat at ground level when ball hits the ground

We’ve killed our Bukus development by playing him as a lone FF/2nd ruck for the better part of two years.

The guy is a 4th tall and would be a bloody talented one
I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that you absolutely cannot get away with playing a fourth tall who doesn't impact the game unless he's targeted. He can't find his own ball nor impact defensively (actually a similar, albeit more athletic, player to Ferg). His role is either as a lead-out target forward or an intercepting defender, but he has weaknesses that make both positions difficult to crack at AFL level.

I don't buy the "oh he's unfit" criticism, it's lazy. But he just doesn't neatly fit into any AFL role archetype. I'd be surprised if he's on a list next year despite being a good VFL player.

I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that you absolutely cannot get away with playing a fourth tall who doesn't impact the game unless he's targeted. He can't find his own ball nor impact defensively (actually a similar, albeit more athletic, player to Ferg). His role is either as a lead-out target forward or an intercepting defender, but he has weaknesses that make both positions difficult to crack at AFL level.

I don't buy the "oh he's unfit" criticism, it's lazy. But he just doesn't neatly fit into any AFL role archetype. I'd be surprised if he's on a list next year despite being a good VFL player.
Fritsch has made a pretty good career out of it, tbf I’m not sure we can safely say he can’t impact in that role when he’s never had the luxury of playing it because he’s chained to the goal square and asked to fly from behind. When he has been able to play high and lead up at the ball and we’re moving it well he does find the footy.

As a lead up 3rd/4th tall around some genuine forwards he has more than enough weapons, including being extremely efficient in front of goal

Do you reckon any of our players have heard of spoiling the ball when they're out of position in a marking contest?

Genuinely getting out marked in EVERY contest when they're trying to outmark their opponent from the defensive position.

Punch the ******* thing!!!

If you think our player numbers are low, yes it's due to our performance but there has also been an issue with the data capture and there are over 80 disposals still to credit for the match. So final numbers will be significantly different and they should be corrected either later tonight or early tomorrow.

This. He just doesn't have a ground ball nor defensive game.

We already have 3-4 tall marking targets in the forwards 50. I would suggest that 3 of them are better tham Khamis when it hits the ground.

I dont think he's been mismanaged. I think that the club has been trying to round out his game by challenging him to develop a skill set beyond using his athleticism to mark the ball.
Our current VFL team is not a patch on previous seasons. Coaching? Personnel? Motivation? Rather disappointing season.

It's our midfield depth. As in its non-existent.

Having said that.

Injuries and our preference for fast tracking our developing talls in the seniors has cruelled any real chance that Footscray have had this season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a painful game to watch
There's been 3 fantastic games all of which have been more advantageous to the club than Footscray's result.

You should've watched those instead. I did.

Full Time - Thank dog for that! Not much to see as positives. West and McLean tried hard and were good in patches. The rest? Well, let's move on to next week. It's becoming clear that we should probably not persevere with some of these players next year. Despite tha fact that I have often pushed for his promotion, I just can't see how Khamis fits in to the senior team. Raak, last year. Sweet, static development, time to look around.
Busslinger needs to improve his pace and ground ball recovery. Clarke has been generally disappointing though he's got time on his side. Good to see Gallagher on the park and should find his feet with more experience. The pace of the Suns players looked too much for Crozier and Bruce. Keath was probably the best of the defenders but no promotion from this game. Also, Poulter to me looks like a very sound VFL performer but I don't see an AFL standard wingman in his game. If recruited in the mid season draft, perhaps this might act as a boost to his performance. Not convinced.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back