VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

So we think this is a good thing right? A basis for giving VDM a crack at the higher level in that role? I'm on board. A tackle and slightly better disposal would have been ideal but .... conditions.
He was drafted as a running defender and we have a real need for that on our list, particularly with JJ’s injury. Definitely worth a shot because I’ve pretty much ruled him out as not good enough in the front half of the ground.

He was drafted as a running defender and we have a real need for that on our list, particularly with JJ’s injury. Definitely worth a shot because I’ve pretty much ruled him out as not good enough in the front half of the ground.
That's reasonable. I didn't realise that that was actually what he was drafted as. I'd really like to see it at some point in JJ's absence.

Thought he was ok, didn't really notice him in a bad or good way. Seemed very puffed even in the 1st quarter, I assume we've been playing him on a reduced load to ease him into it due to injuries. His ball use seemed ok which is the major criticism he has in his game.

Thought he was ok, didn't really notice him in a bad or good way. Seemed very puffed even in the 1st quarter, I assume we've been playing him on a reduced load to ease him into it due to injuries. His ball use seemed ok which is the major criticism he has in his game.
Sometimes ball use can improve dramatically in the back half of the ground with a little bit more time and being able to see the whole ground.

I will say that the floating half forward types seem to be the hardest position to play in our game plan. No one has had much production or success in that role.

I see Darcy and Roarke Smith are back for todays clash at Avalon Airport Oval ??????
I hope they find the oval and plenty of the ball.

Darcy does a couple of nice things and sets up Rhylee West for a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poultry going well so far. West has two goals.
Geelol are not that good. Like really not that good, so it is more training run than competitive.

I mean I thought his nickname would surely be Poultergeist, but nope.

This is the one, Chicken.

First quarter showing gap between with hardly any listed AFL players and another with 16-18 listed players. Not sure why we are nearly last with so many AFL players?

Players:

- Sweet is having a day out and is still getting better. In many ways he is a perfect back up. English and Lobb-the Darcy are the first choice but he can come in if English is injured and do Ok.

- Yes I am a Raak fan - and he is showing his competitiveness. Playing forward and rotating back - covering a lot of ground for a 194 cm player.

- West is a mystery - he is a step above this level but is played in area where he plays well but doesn’t show his full potential. I assume the discipline is he needs to be better than the VFL Mids but surely he would be if played there. Must be something we don’t know - I believe the kid is a star and yes a bit of a strange cat but should be the long term Libba replacement.

- Keith and Bruce are a weird luxury at this level. Way above. As is Crozier - we know these are AFL level just behind fit and in form players.

- Darcy first game back and is already doing the double candies- love Jamarra and Naughty but he could end up being the best off all of them. Stay fit and we are going to be staggered at how good he is. For first game back he is amazing.

- VDM a bit disappointing and not much to see from Hannan, Khamis, Gallagher or Gardiner.

- Poulter and Cleary - so good signs.

- McLean and McComb both solid. Roarke showing some really good glimpses but not that involved.

- Gee Chatfield is a good player. Is he still NGA for us? Hope so.

Understand trying to win every game but we have only won two and would prefer we are more overt about AFL prep long term. We are playing West and McClean as FP/HFF because we have less coverage there at AFL perhaps but play both in the middle where they are best suited and give them a chance a career rather than some occasional games.

I would suggest Geelong are missing quite a few through injury. Also, we have been quite poor for most of our previous games.
We've had a very weak team for most of the year. Arguably we're stronger today than for most of the year. Our record looks better cause we've managed to win a few close games while getting smashed in the losses.

But this Footscray team should be top 4 not languishing at 2-6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back