VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Buss is a tall skinny guy, will take a bit longer to develop. He's got a footy brain which can't be taught.
With how quickly guys like Daicos and Jackson burst onto the scene and started performing, it’s given an extremely skewed view among some fans on how developed these guys should be. In reality, most players, even the very best, aren’t looking at a concrete best 22 spot until their 3rd or 4th season, if not later for talls. We really can’t expect Buss and Clarke to be consistently best 22 until at least 2025. Same goes for Darcy

With how quickly guys like Daicos and Jackson burst onto the scene and started performing, it’s given an extremely skewed view among some fans on how developed these guys should be. In reality, most players, even the very best, aren’t looking at a concrete best 22 spot until their 3rd or 4th season, if not later for talls. We really can’t expect Buss and Clarke to be consistently best 22 until at least 2025. Same goes for Darcy
You might well be the most intelligent poster on this forum. I feel most of our supporters are delusional and removed from reality. The negative mindset is terrible. Putting down players is bad enough but first or second yr draftees is beyond a joke.
I’m sure those negative comments either come from naive teenagers or overweight couch potatoes that haven’t done any exercise in years. Be better guys.
On busslinger he has been very solid coming off a shoulder opp and no preseason. He reads the game extremely well and his skill execution and disposal are elite. Obviously needs fitness and strength. He may get a few games next year but 2025 he will be ready to be a more regular senior player.

Still very undersized and not aerobically there. Big preseason ahead for the Buss.

At this stage O'Donnell looks more like pick 13 and Busslinger a category B rookie. Got a steal with JOD may have missed out with Busslinger but still early may bloom next season.
He’s improved out of sight.

However I am worried about his speed and agility. He Could get exposed at afl level, especially early on.

Thanks.

Although he was impressive, he seemed a fair way off when I saw him live mid season.

I think expectations should be regular footy by 25/26. Early 20’s, probably in line with most developing key defenders.

I thought Buss looked comfy as. His disposable looks good and he reads play well. Not necessarily dominant.

With a preseason he should play seniors with Jones and JOD
Really liked the penetration on his kicking. And he used the ball very well, with a big preseason he could be a great asset

I think Busslinger will play senior football next season providing he can strengthen his upper body. He has looked just fine when roaming around the backline intercepting and delivering to team mates. One on one against stronger opponents he has struggled somewhat. This is understandable for a 19 year old tall. Just get him in the gym.

Not suggesting he will get to the same level but see a lot of Harris Andrews in the way Buss plays, Doesn't "stand out" athletically but seems to often get to the right positions tidy by foot and has the ability to take an intercept mark or two when needed,

Have been very impressed with his overall development and was fuming Keath kept getting games over him to finish the year

I'll probably be at this one.

Live in Hawthorn so I don't have many excuses not to waddle on down and watch rhylee west shit on inferior opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So win this week and it would be a prelim in Queenland against Gold Coast.

Make the GF and it would be a game against Brisbane, Werribee or Williamstown at Marvel
Grand Final will be Sunday 24th @ Ikon Park

A day out from the semi final cannot even see our team selection but the bulldogs website is all over the AFLW. Nothing against women's footy but not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Out injured.
Good to know. I haven’t watched much VFL but was surprised given Josh has a state combine invite and has apparently been in good form.

The tweet above would have been much more informative ending with “coming in for the injured Josh Chatfield” rather than “Josh Chatfield makes way for him”.

VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back