VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Busslinger has slowly improved all year. He was poor today though. Give him a preaseason and he should improve his strength. Speed and agility is a real worry though.

I have been critical of Clarke’s fitness - which isn’t his fault given he had a interupted preseason. He needs to build his tank and strength significantly. From what I have seen he looks a lot more like Gryan Meyer’s type rather than Tom Papley. He seems to be a creative link up player. You don’t need to be super quick for this role. I hope the coaches put it on him about his tank because this is a area of need, he will get a game if he has a big pre-season.

Gallagher should’ve got a taste this year. I hope he lines up on a wing round 1 next year. One thing that’s hard to tell watching vfl without being there is

Its a little concerning that there isn't a lot of polish just waiting its opportunity at Footscray.

Gallagher not a high volume possession winner but is probably the stand out in this regard. Looks a neat player, good skills and reads the play well. But his role looks a little undefined. Not sure where his spot is, perhaps as a running half back or wing.

Cleary is probably next skill wise. He's pretty sound with ball in hand and understands how to find and use space. Im just a little concerned about his size and physicality.

Garcia was good, and was responsible for pulling the side back into game a couple of times as he worked his guts out, but jeez his kicking is very, very flawed.

Sweet dominated as expected. It'll be interesting watching over the coming days how much interest he gets, where he lands and how he goes when he gets there. I still dont think his game will translate, but we'll see...

Khamis was very good and of course has a pretty good skill set. You just have to wonder where he fits into a side with Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Darcy waiting in the wings. One would hope that with a more settled forward structure at Footscray next year that he would be sent back to answer the question of his role in the side once and for all. However that probably depends on where the club seesDarcy and Croft fitting in.

Darcy showed glimpses, looked like a guy who hasn't played much for about 6 weeks.

West. Looked like a guy who would rather be drinking a can of coke and sharing a joke with his mates on the hill. Looked checked out and disinterested, when it was a game that he should've slapped the salami on the table and saying look at me boys.

Busslinger, as a defender of his, it pains me to say this but he's getting shifted to the players of concern list. A big preseason for him.

Gardner just looks shaky as hell when he has the ball in hand. 3 years I hear you say.

O'Brien I prefer him over Gardner.

McComb tries hard, but he just lacks peripheral vision and skills. That was very evident today.

Crozier, still good enough to remain on the list as depth. Probably won't want that and probably won't be offered it.

Poulter still a bit one sided.

Clarke didn't get a lot of it, not sure he has the pace or tricks to cut it as a small forward at the next level.
Good analysis.
What do you think of trying Naughton as a KPD? (opens up a slot for another marking forward such as Karmis)

Khamis pushed his value up from a 4th rounder to a 3rd today.

Unfortunately I don't think he has a future with us. Any other decade he would be a walk up start in our forward line. But now that we have been kissed on the dick with key forwards, he misses out.
Maybe if he had Schache's tank we could use him as a roaming link up forward.

Just woke up so missed the game. Surprised we lost, given we beat them last time, and had a stronger team this time around, and a higher number of AFL players playing. Compared to the Hawks who seemed to be missing some. Was confident we would win well.

What didn't go right today?

Khamis pushed his value up from a 4th rounder to a 3rd today.

Unfortunately I don't think he has a future with us. Any other decade he would be a walk up start in our forward line. But now that we have been kissed on the dick with key forwards, he misses out.
Maybe if he had Schache's tank we could use him as a roaming link up forward.
If Khamis is to be a forward with us he will need to change the way he plays.

He will need to play more a medium link up forward. He will also need to bring the pressure. If he can do this he can play with Naughton, Lobb and JUH.

His size actually suits this role as he is undersized for a key forward. It’s just whether he has the tank. It does look like his tank has improved significantly, but it needs to go up another notch as he will get burnt the other way by rebounding defenders of it’s not up to scratch.

I think Clark and Buss have some excuses re development to this point. Like the coaching in general, I do wonder whether we are starting to have a development issue, drafting issue or general club malaise. God I somebody had the sack internally to demand an external review.

He's just awful. Should have kicked a couple. He's going to clog up our VFL was at the
Was at the game. His miss 20m out whe he could have straightened up for an easy goal was the difference. One of the worst kicks I've ever seen even though he has a massive crack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a little concerning that there isn't a lot of polish just waiting its opportunity at Footscray.

Gallagher not a high volume possession winner but is probably the stand out in this regard. Looks a neat player, good skills and reads the play well. But his role looks a little undefined. Not sure where his spot is, perhaps as a running half back or wing.

Cleary is probably next skill wise. He's pretty sound with ball in hand and understands how to find and use space. Im just a little concerned about his size and physicality.

Garcia was good, and was responsible for pulling the side back into game a couple of times as he worked his guts out, but jeez his kicking is very, very flawed.

Sweet dominated as expected. It'll be interesting watching over the coming days how much interest he gets, where he lands and how he goes when he gets there. I still dont think his game will translate, but we'll see...

Khamis was very good and of course has a pretty good skill set. You just have to wonder where he fits into a side with Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Darcy waiting in the wings. One would hope that with a more settled forward structure at Footscray next year that he would be sent back to answer the question of his role in the side once and for all. However that probably depends on where the club seesDarcy and Croft fitting in.

Darcy showed glimpses, looked like a guy who hasn't played much for about 6 weeks.

West. Looked like a guy who would rather be drinking a can of coke and sharing a joke with his mates on the hill. Looked checked out and disinterested, when it was a game that he should've slapped the salami on the table and saying look at me boys.

Busslinger, as a defender of his, it pains me to say this but he's getting shifted to the players of concern list. A big preseason for him.

Gardner just looks shaky as hell when he has the ball in hand. 3 years I hear you say.

O'Brien I prefer him over Gardner.

McComb tries hard, but he just lacks peripheral vision and skills. That was very evident today.

Crozier, still good enough to remain on the list as depth. Probably won't want that and probably won't be offered it.

Poulter still a bit one sided.

Clarke didn't get a lot of it, not sure he has the pace or tricks to cut it as a small forward at the next level.
Accurate summary. Was there the last 2 weeks.

For me buku was the stand out, really wish we'd put him as an intercept defender and back him in. Great hands and beautiful kick. Thought sweet was the other stand-out. He'll be an afl 1st ruck next year and deserves it. Darcy showed some great signs marking at the highest point. Most other dogs players didn't impress me, although McPherson's son cracks in as hard as a cats head.

Only a few with the talent to play AFL.

Buku should have played 3rd intercept defender this year, back the kid in. Wasted year behind JUH and Naughts.

Clearly will make it and should play next year.

Darcy to have a big role next year, hit the food.

Garcia can be a role player.

West looked like he had already finished for the year.

Bus and Clark a long way to go. Clark will struggle in the current pace dominated times.

Please do not draft anyone from Footscray this year. That has to be the laziest, inept drafting strategy ever. There are clubs all over Australia, cast the net a little wider!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a little concerning that there isn't a lot of polish just waiting its opportunity
Lack of midfield depth on show yesterday.

It’s no secret, but it was really highlighted that there’s not a lot coming through.

Sullivan our best, but only VFL level. Garcia good as well. West horrendous. McLean was injured.

I can’t see us as a contending senior side if any of the above players are getting regular midfield minutes, It’s actually depressing thinking that’s what’s next in line. Desperately need to nail a good mid with our first rounder this year.

Struggling to see it with Clark. Slow and lacks the high energy for a small fwd. Has a lot of Jack Higgins about how he plays, just not sure it’s enough. Will be disappointing if he doesn’t make it, a wasted first rounder in the years we had to outlay plenty on Marra and Darcy is bad.

Buss another first rounder with question marks? Still has a lot of time on his side but there’s some genuine concerns I reckon after watching yesterdays game. Several times an opposition player shook off his half assed tackles with almost zero effort. All good and well he has good skills and can take the odd mark, but he won’t get many AFL games at any club if he doesn’t improve his competitiveness. Lacking badly. Showing a bit, but needs to keep improving.

Darcy the only player to get genuinely excited about. Didn’t do a heap yesterday but you can see how good he’s going to be. Hopefully we see him get more ruck minutes next season blended with his game as a forward. The quicker he comes on in that role the better. Especially now with the rumours about Lobb.

It’s no secret, but it was really highlighted that there’s not a lot coming through.

Sullivan our best, but only VFL level. Garcia good as well. West horrendous. McLean was injured.

I can’t see us as a contending senior side if any of the above players are getting regular midfield minutes, It’s actually depressing thinking that’s what’s next in line. Desperately need to nail a good mid with our first rounder this year.

Struggling to see it with Clark. Slow and lacks the high energy for a small fwd. Has a lot of Jack Higgins about how he plays, just not sure it’s enough. Will be disappointing if he doesn’t make it, a wasted first rounder in the years we had to outlay plenty on Marra and Darcy is bad.

Buss another first rounder with question marks? Still has a lot of time on his side but there’s some genuine concerns I reckon after watching yesterdays game. Several times an opposition player shook off his half assed tackles with almost zero effort. All good and well he has good skills and can take the odd mark, but he won’t get many AFL games at any club if he doesn’t improve his competitiveness. Lacking badly. Showing a bit, but needs to keep improving.

Darcy the only player to get genuinely excited about. Didn’t do a heap yesterday but you can see how good he’s going to be. Hopefully we see him get more ruck minutes next season blended with his game as a forward. The quicker he comes on in that role the better. Especially now with the rumours about Lobb.
What are the rumours about Lobb?

Going to Saints. Might be horse s**t, but the poster has had some decent intel previously.
I hope not. He was at the VFL game yesterday, obviously is interested in the club.

Good analysis.
What do you think of trying Naughton as a KPD? (opens up a slot for another marking forward such as Karmis)
I think the knock on effect of taking Naughton out of the forward line would be detrimental to the development of JUH. I dont think that Khamis or anybody else in the side has the physicality to shake up opposition defences like Naughton does. If we remove Naughton from the forward line then the ability to convert dumb/dump kicks into scores goes with him. When the idea of switching him back comes up, the one thing that I think gets overlooked is how he can make something out of nothing with his contested marking.
Accurate summary. Was there the last 2 weeks.

For me buku was the stand out, really wish we'd put him as an intercept defender and back him in. Great hands and beautiful kick. Thought sweet was the other stand-out. He'll be an afl 1st ruck next year and deserves it. Darcy showed some great signs marking at the highest point. Most other dogs players didn't impress me, although McPherson's son cracks in as hard as a cats head.

The thing I'd like to know about Khamis' transformation as a forward is.

Did they see enough of him as a defender to put a line through him?

Was it because we saw that the best use of his skillset (his marking and kicking) was better utilised up forward?

Or was he moved their out of necessity due to the dearth of talls at Footscray if Darcy was injured or playing in the AFL side?

Either way the move forward has to be seen as a success even if thats only in the context of Footscray's season. Given he was the cornerstone of the teams 11 game turn around in form from early in the season. The problem is that if the answer to each question is yes. Then that finds him no closer to establishing himself in the AFL side. I dont see a rangy hf in him but he'd be a nice foil to a side with one KPF. He's surplus to requirements in a side with as many as 5 of them!

His only hope in our AFL side is that they reassess him in defence. Otherwise he'll spend the rest of his time at Footscray playing ff until somebody without 5 KPF gives him a second chance.

Yes. None of these guys will go too far addressing our needs through the middle of the ground. they could all play minutes through there, but thats not what we need. We need guys with the scope to play entire games through there.
Yes it is.

They're both coming from a long way back, but they're both a concern. We'll have a better idea after they've both completed a pre-season. Its not all doom and gloom though. I quite like what I saw of Gallagher yesterday.
He's the one.

I dont place much stock on the Lobb rumour. We shall see.

A bit of overreaction here - up until yesterday the VFL doges were on a really good streak and a number of players showing something.

McLean out was. A big loss and just allowed them to get on top - he plays different game.

- Khamis was moved forward because we don’t have a mid tall. Raak moves there also. They are both on a definite upwards trajectory and are not far away - Raak needs to get into the gym with Morris and Khamis needs to build his tank. Both have skills and attributes.

- Some young players are like diamonds that just need polishing and some are like coal that need a lot of pressure and work to get there.

- Buss and Gallagher are diamonds - they have obvious ability but are kids - both have had very good games and shown great glimpses.

- Our coal brigade has included some superstars that just took time - Morris, Boyd, Picken, Libba Snr etc etc. For now you can see Raak and Khamis have something and give us options. I want to see them both continue their development and play forward and back. We have a high chance of Keath or LJizz being injured sometimes even both.

So if our best is:

Red Jones JJ

JOD Keath Dale

7: Duryea

Then with injuries to older players it could be:

Red Jones/Keath VDM

Buss JOD Dale

(Fair lack of grunt)

Or worse:

Red Gardner VDM

Buss JOD Dale/Cleary

Khamis gives a bit more attack on the ball - and Raak has fight and so both as a 7 defender would be valuable.

I’ve been very critical on Clarke because we are crying out for a small forward/ creative half forward. This pick is critical for the list build.

I really think we need to give him a preseason before we cast proper judgement, my main gripe is that he doesn’t look conditioned for league footy which is understandable for a first year player that has not had a preseason. With Clarke’s fitness not being up to scratch it’s really hard to see what player projects to be, he looks more like a Gryan Myers type to me at this stage.

The big problem I see for Clarke is that you don’t get long on a list as a small forward if you aren’t playing afl footy early you are cast aside pretty quickly. He must have a big preseason and I hope the coaches drill this into him.

Buss looks a fair bit off afl footy. His improved, but I’d be suprised if he plays early next year. I’d rather Darcy play third tall supported by Jones and JOD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back