VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been very critical on Clarke because we are crying out for a small forward/ creative half forward. This pick is critical for the list build.

I really think we need to give him a preseason before we cast proper judgement, my main gripe is that he doesn’t look conditioned for league footy which is understandable for a first year player that has not had a preseason. With Clarke’s fitness not being up to scratch it’s really hard to see what player projects to be, he looks more like a Gryan Myers type to me at this stage.

The big problem I see for Clarke is that you don’t get long on a list as a small forward if you aren’t playing afl footy early you are cast aside pretty quickly. He must have a big preseason and I hope the coaches drill this into him.

Buss looks a fair bit off afl footy. His improved, but I’d be suprised if he plays early next year. I’d rather Darcy play third tall supported by Jones and JOD.

The club would be well aware he was going to take time. I said in the draft thread last year Clarke would take a while before he’s ready as his endurance testing was poor. No preseason set him back further unfortunately.

The Miers comparison is a decent one for what it’s worth. Clarke was the number 1 assist player at NAB league level.

The club would be well aware he was going to take time. I said in the draft thread last year Clarke would take a while before he’s ready as his endurance testing was poor. No preseason set him back further unfortunately.

The Miers comparison is a decent one for what it’s worth. Clarke was the number 1 assist player at NAB league level.
Miers would get a game at every club in the AFL, gun player and was robbed of AA this year. Can only hope Clarke hits those levels - those writing him off are going way too early on him

Miers would get a game at every club in the AFL, gun player and was robbed of AA this year. Can only hope Clarke hits those levels - those writing him off are going way too early on him
39 goal assists - 14 more than the next guy.

The numbers got pumped a bit due to a couple of insane games against poor teams but still - impressive.

39 goal assists - 14 more than the next guy.

The numbers got pumped a bit due to a couple of insane games against poor teams but still - impressive.
Seeing how many assists Hawkins gets too tells me it’s somewhat a symptom of the system he plays in, but still beyond elite territory

The Busslinger talk is honestly baffling.

The fact he played to the level he did this season (which was actually quite good) after having the shoulder done and missing the whole pre season, is actually remarkable. We are talking about a key defender in his first year....

He probably played his worst game of the year on the weekend. Are we really going to put a line through him based on that? Come on...

If we get to this time next year, he gets through a pre season, hasn't improved and still sits on 0 AFL games. Then sure let's maybe start getting a bit concerned.

Yes he isn't blessed with pace. But he's composure and decision making looks elite for a key defender. And when you look at our Key backs over the last 5 years, composure and decision making has been non existent.

The fact he played to the level he did this season (which was actually quite good) after having the shoulder done and missing the whole pre season, is actually remarkable. We are talking about a key defender in his first year....

He probably played his worst game of the year on the weekend. Are we really going to put a line through him based on that? Come on...

If we get to this time next year, he gets through a pre season, hasn't improved and still sits on 0 AFL games. Then sure let's maybe start getting a bit concerned.

Yes he isn't blessed with pace. But he's composure and decision making looks elite for a key defender. And when you look at our Key backs over the last 5 years, composure and decision making has been non existent.
I have come to notice our supporters are the worst. We turn on the players and coaches so quick and now it’s starting on draftees in their first year with no pre season. It’s pretty sad to be honest. It’s SUPPORTER. Try it.
As for our draftees they have all shown glimpses.
Jedd does need to fitter and a bit more agility along with obvious strength. However he competed very well in the contest and is a good user of the pill.
Clarke like jedd needs to get fitter. He has also shown good moments especially second half of the year averaged a goal a game and 4 tackles a game in the last 10 games. Pretty good considering no base to work off.
For those saying he is slow. Go watch his 3 effort chase in the third quarter at the start around 1:40. I personally didn’t see at the game but standing near the bench Saturday and once Clarke come off Bevo come to the bench and called him over and was thrilled with the effort. Resulted in Sam Darcy’s goal.
Gallagher I think been the most impressive maybe it’s because he completed most of pre season even though he has had some interruptions. He is also a yr older. He shows great speed and balance & covers the ground well. Good ball user also.
Hopefully most of you can be more positive and support the players and trust the coaches and staff to make the calls. They have more idea than us.
Look forward to season 2024 go doggies

Please do not draft anyone from Footscray this year. That has to be the laziest, inept drafting strategy ever. There are clubs all over Australia, cast the net a little wider!
How is it lazy and inept?

It actually has lots of benefits.
1) We get a closer look at players' ability, work ethic, etc.
2) It integrates them into the senior system faster by playing in our reserves team.
3) It attracts better players to our VFL team as they may consider it a more likely avenue to the AFL than other clubs. This makes the team stronger which obviously has many benefits.

It shouldn't be a hard and fast rule, but to foster a reputation within the league that if a player performs well for Footscray a senior position may be up for grabs has many benefits to the club.

2) It integrates them into the senior system faster by playing in our reserves team.
3) It attracts better players to our VFL team as they may consider it a more likely avenue to the AFL than other clubs. This makes the team stronger which obviously has many benefits.

It shouldn't be a hard and fast rule, but to foster a reputation within the league that if a player performs well for Footscray a senior position may be up for grabs has many benefits to the club.
It’s a great idea but I don’t think we’ve used it particularly well over the years so I think it’s left a bit of a sour taste in peoples mouths, in reality the issue has been taking the wrong players & probably giving them too much time.

Ie Gardner & Scott are probably wins overall, but it was frustrating that they both got so many chances when they came on the list and that’s what people remember, along with the more obvious fails like McComb/Hayes etc

I’d rather see us take more 19-21year olds, talented kids who have missed on the draft and come to Footscray and developed their games a little bit more - and to add to that guys who have weaknesses but at least some sort of strength which could carry to AFL level

Rather than the mid 20s VFL battlers, who have no standout attributes except maybe workrate, that I think everyone can see will never have much of a future at AFL level, except our recruiters for some reason.

There’s a few really good types in the current team who I’d be happy to pick up this year like Chatfield, McPherson etc

It’s a great idea but I don’t think we’ve used it particularly well over the years so I think it’s left a bit of a sour taste in peoples mouths, in reality the issue has been taking the wrong players & probably giving them too much time.

Ie Gardner & Scott are probably wins overall, but it was frustrating that they both got so many chances when they came on the list and that’s what people remember, along with the more obvious fails like McComb/Hayes etc

I’d rather see us take more 19-21year olds, talented kids who have missed on the draft and come to Footscray and developed their games a little bit more - and to add to that guys who have weaknesses but at least some sort of strength which could carry to AFL level

Rather than the mid 20s VFL battlers, who have no standout attributes except maybe workrate, that I think everyone can see will never have much of a future at AFL level, except our recruiters for some reason.

There’s a few really good types in the current team who I’d be happy to pick up this year like Chatfield, McPherson etc
At the point of the draft we're taking these players the hit rate is incredibly low. Also you still need a percentage of the list to be OK depth players - you can't just have a build around stars and talented longshots.
I'd say on the whole we've got more output than most other teams at picking at this point in the draft.

At the point of the draft we're taking these players the hit rate is incredibly low. Also you still need a percentage of the list to be OK depth players - you can't just have a build around stars and talented longshots.
I'd say on the whole we've got more output than most other teams at picking at this point in the draft.
Don’t disagree and I think we’re saying the same thing mostly here, it doesn’t have to be only talented longshots but they need something to their game that projects above the afl average, whether it’s footskills, size, goalsense whatever they need something.

Guys like McComb & Hayes in particular just should not have been given a list spot, multiple AFL games & 2/3 years on a list - and you don’t need hindsight to say that. These in particular stick in the mind for people I think, but yes for the most part we’re doing pretty well out of Footscray.

I like the idea of keeping the last list spot open for a Footscray play as motivation and a potential draw for delisted players from elsewhere. Its what got Poulter to the club.

What I don't care for is the amount of time that many of them are retained on the list after they've been exposed to the highest level.

I’m concerned about the Busslinger pick if our game day strategy doesn’t have whole sale change.

Ive seen enough to go out on a limb and say he won’t survive in our current set up due to lack of pace. To play in the system we have you need speed given the amount of space we leave open.

This isn’t Buslinger’s fault. He will become a solid player in the right set up.

This ties into my frustration with coaching - I don’t think we are coached to the teams strengths. I hope this changes next season.

Name one other club who has done it as much as the bulldogs? They don't because they cast there net wider. Some of the players people want to recruit this year from Footscray make me shake my head...Remember they are great players at that level but have a limitation which is why no one else (the other 17 clubs) would draft them if we didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name one other club who has done it as much as the bulldogs? They don't because they cast there net wider. Some of the players people want to recruit this year from Footscray make me shake my head...Remember they are great players at that level but have a limitation which is why no one else (the other 17 clubs) would draft them if we didn't.
Because other clubs may not do it, is not a reason for us not to. It's possible some clubs might start to emulate it.

I don't think it precludes us from "casting our net" as wide as we want. They aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think you can say with any certainty whatsoever that because we draft from Footscray it means we're ignoring other pathways to the draft. Bit of a long bow if you ask me.

I like the idea of keeping the last list spot open for a Footscray play as motivation and a potential draw for delisted players from elsewhere. Its what got Poulter to the club.

What I don't care for is the amount of time that many of them are retained on the list after they've been exposed to the highest level.
Def feel like it should be our KPP pipeline
Mids come and go

I’m concerned about the Busslinger pick if our game day strategy doesn’t have whole sale change.

Ive seen enough to go out on a limb and say he won’t survive in our current set up due to lack of pace. To play in the system we have you need speed given the amount of space we leave open.

This isn’t Buslinger’s fault. He will become a solid player in the right set up.

This ties into my frustration with coaching - I don’t think we are coached to the teams strengths. I hope this changes next season.
I’d like to make a judgement on jedd next year. He does a lot right at the moment speed is a concern I agree. However I’d like a preseason under his belt.
On another note vfl goal of the week our other two draftees involved. Spoil from Harvey, ground ball gather by clarke handball to Harvey, handball back to Clarke who nails the goal from the boundary with a drop punt. Exciting passage of play from the two. Multiple efforts and staying involved. Was enjoyable to watch during the live broadcast that’s for sure. Hopefully all of last years draftees can have a big off season and hit the ground running next season.

I think clubs will more and more draft onballers with there early picks. Players who can impact earlier. Rucks and under developed key position players will float further back. The way trades are going (more and more each year) your better off letting another club invest 5 years in Busslinger and then snap him up in a trade.

I think clubs will more and more draft onballers with there early picks. Players who can impact earlier. Rucks and under developed key position players will float further back. The way trades are going (more and more each year) your better off letting another club invest 5 years in Busslinger and then snap him up in a trade.
Especially if free agency gets brought forward like Dangerfield and the players association have lobbied for.

Don't disagree as a general concept, but if we could redo our last few years drafts, we still wouldn't be passing on English, Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy with high picks. I'm not sure we can rely on attracting players of that calibre through trade

I think clubs will more and more draft onballers with their early picks. Players who can impact earlier. Rucks and under developed key position players will float further back. The way trades are going (more and more each year) you’re better off letting another club invest 5 years in Busslinger and then snap him up in a trade.
You still need to draft high end KPP though, look at the numbers floating around to get the likes of McKay or Esava, and how often do we really see top end KPP move? Last was probably Cameron 3 years ago for 3 first rounders, FA opens it up a little bit but any good KPP will always be restricted and you’ll always have to trade anyway.

So I think with your very early picks you still have to prioritise genuine elite KPP, they’re just too hard to get otherwise. If you’re not picking in the top 5 though you’ve got a much much better chance of getting an elite midfielder with your 5-15 picks than an elite KPP.

I think we’re in a ridiculously blessed position, because usually in a rebuild you want to draft KPP earlier but at the same time you get zero early results out of them so you almost need to draft your midfield first if you want to be somewhat competitive.

We’re in the position right now that we were able to bring in top end elite KPP in Naughty, Marra & Darcy whilst we were already being carried by an elite midfield. Now these guys are all in the processing of developing into consistent AFL players aided by their development in a mostly decent side with good midfield support, and yes our midfield is fading but now we can load up our early picks on high impact midfielders that will contribute early and completely transition the list without bottoming out and can reload for another decade of being a good side.

As bad as our season was if we improved by mere 8 points on average we win another 5 games and we finish equal second. Plus 22 points was our biggest losing margin after round 2. What appeared to be a disaster season on face value and to the eye requires only marginal improvement score wise in 2024. However, i get the feeling there was a lot broken that contributed to the close losses.

As bad as our season was if we improved by mere 8 points on average we win another 5 games and we finish equal second. Plus 22 points was our biggest losing margin after round 2. What appeared to be a disaster season on face value and to the eye requires only marginal improvement score wise in 2024. However, i get the feeling there was a lot broken that contributed to the close losses.

Trouble is while we are playing with incremental improvements, other clubs are going ahead in leaps and bounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back