2nds Footscray Bulldogs 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyd and Jong being back makes me real happy.

Now we bat so deep in the midfield, Jong's future at AFL level if any I could see as a defensive forward with his speed to try & contain the likes of Laird/Lloyd/Whitfield. Can take a good mark, his disposal won't hurt as much as being up the ground if he's just trying to put them through the goals & he's not the worst on the list for taking shots at goal

Now we bat so deep in the midfield, Jong's future at AFL level if any I could see as a defensive forward with his speed to try & contain the likes of Laird/Lloyd/Whitfield. Can take a good mark, his disposal won't hurt as much as being up the ground if he's just trying to put them through the goals & he's not the worst on the list for taking shots at goal

It’s not a bad idea. I’ve been a Jong critic but the main reason for that is because his lack of awareness/skill errors often break down attacking chains through the guts.

Pushing him forward mitigate those weaknesses and he would help stop the interceptors because he is a marking threat, his tackling is good and obviously his closing speed is great. Play him as a 3rd tall forward in VFL and if he does well I could see him as the 4th target (behind Naughton, Schache and Gowers) with additional defensive pressure.

It’s not a bad idea. I’ve been a Jong critic but the main reason for that is because his lack of awareness/skill errors often break down attacking chains through the guts.

Pushing him forward mitigate those weaknesses and he would help stop the interceptors because he is a marking threat, his tackling is good and obviously his closing speed is great. Play him as a 3rd tall forward in VFL and if he does well I could see him as the 4th target (behind Naughton, Schache and Gowers) with additional defensive pressure.
Not the worst depth to have. People s**t on Jong a lot, but I really do rate him in terms of our players outside the 22. He obviously has his deficiencies, but it's pretty hard to fix that when he's always unlucky enough to cop some sort of impact injury (like the last shoulder one entirely out of his control). I am confident that if he has a decent run at it and find a suitable role, he could eventually secure a spot in our best 22. His marking and tackling ability is quite underrated, and his disposal isn't much worse than some of the other guys on our side (Wallis, Dunkley, Hunter to name a few)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez the VFL team is going well this year.

Is Gia the coach this year? According to some on here he's a terrible coach. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over when Bev departs.

I hope we have a good look at picking up Gardner in the mid-season draft with the extra list spot we get from Picken's retirement. I know nothing about him but a very good sized KPP (198cm, 98kg). Give we need depth at KPF and KPD he could be a handy pick-up.

We should only consider Footscray players as they'll already know the AFL teams structures and could slot straight in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back