2nds FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS v COLLINGWOOD Saturday 27th August, 12:00 PM @WO

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't consider that an act of desperation. It's good pressure and work rate, but I don't classify that as such.

Other players on our list would do that far more often each and every single week.
Yeah nah if it was Picken everyone would be talking about his desperation and intensity. Because it's Stringer it becomes "others would do that more often". The guy can't win.

I do agree partly, but I think the last sentence is harsh. When Stringer is on offensively he is not simply papering over the cracks he is a dominant force. He expends a lot of energy offensively and prioritises that over defence a little too much, but he's a burst athlete who is best utilised as an offensive finisher. Of course he's going to coast to some degree outside of those opportunities. If he defends like Picken we lose a lot of his offensive drive due to fatigue and defensive rather than offensive positioning.

He needs to keep working to find the balance and consistency. But I think you overplay how much it holds him back when he plays well.

Maybe partly but I think he's primarily just out of form. One of his best attributes is his cleanliness but he hasn't been clean, particularly at ground level, for a while now (worse after the injury). In my view, Stringer's playing VFL because he's not executing the basics. He's not picking up the ball cleanly, he's not keeping his feet and he's not making the right decisions. Last week all of these problems were present and, despite the noticeable effort, he wasn't rewarded with selection.

The biggest problem he faces is that the basics normally come so naturally to him that he's unsure how to reignite that. He's thinking too far ahead. We're seeing him over-run the ball a fair bit, overshoot handballs and fumble receives because he never really has to think about those things. They just happen and he focuses on fending off twelve guys and snapping goals while doing backflips. When that rhythm's out you have to bring it into conscious awareness and I don't believe that's natural for Jake.

Today wasn't a dominant performance but we saw him do the fundamentals better than last week. He found the ball and used it more efficiently, and pressured when it was his turn. It's a good first step back to form in my mind.

I agree ... I think he is at his best playing as a purely instinctive footballer. His struggles this year have been partly due to injury, though also I feel he has suffered from the criticism (externally, maybe internally) of being selfish at times with the ball. This means he has become less instinctive and I now see him making poor decisions by aiming to be more unselfish. There was a really bad one a few weeks ago when he handball to Hunter (who was under pressure) about 30 metres out when Jake would normally have taken the shot (and should have). He is second guessing himself ... I think the aim of VFL was to let him get his hands on the ball more often and have more decision making opportunities.

maybe Stringer plays more midfield in the first final. I hope so, and another reason for his VFL stint is to play more midfield. Would love to see Stringer get a lot of the ball in the first half of a final, then have some confidence to go forward and win a game off his own boot.
If i was Bev, thats what i would be aiming for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a massive fan Bailey Dale fan since day one, but for mine he's been one of the great disappointments of the year. Today showed what he is truly capable of, hard running, surprisingly strong overhead, long kicking and lethal finishing in front of goal in tricky conditions.

was one of our best for mine. we're miles apart in how we saw his game

Yep you are right about that. Perhaps he was better (a lot better!) in the 1st half as he would have been lucky to have had 6 touches in the second half, skirted the contests and didn't take a mark.

When? Stringer is my fav player but he definitely hasn't done this. It's something I have been specifically looking out for for awhile now. It's his #1 weakness right now, he just doesn't compete in the air unless it's 1 on 1. And whenever he's in a situation to run back with the flight, he will always pull out at the last second.

Wayne Carey said it best a couple of weeks ago, Stringer will always pull out of marking contests and look to crumb, or get out the back even when he's in the best position to take the mark(unless he can take a speccy). He has taken only 2 legit pack marks in the last 2 years, r21 against Eagles last year and against Crows this year, and both those were speccys where there was no chance of him taking any body contact.

It makes no sense because when the ball is on the ground he is fearless, and will take on anyone.

When? Stringer is my fav player but he definitely hasn't done this. It's something I have been specifically looking out for for awhile now. It's his #1 weakness right now, he just doesn't compete in the air unless it's 1 on 1. And whenever he's in a situation to run back with the flight, he will always pull out at the last second.

Wayne Carey said it best a couple of weeks ago, Stringer will always pull out of marking contests and look to crumb, or get out the back even when he's in the best position to take the mark(unless he can take a speccy). He has taken only 2 legit pack marks in the last 2 years, r21 against Eagles last year and against Crows this year, and both those were speccys where there was no chance of him taking any body contact.

It makes no sense because when the ball is on the ground he is fearless, and will take on anyone.
When he was playing defence under McCartney.

Speaking of finals, if Port lose tomorrow then we get an away qualifying final against Collingwood next week. If Port win then we get a home elimination final against Essendon

edit: Additionally, if Casey win today and Port lose then we have an away final against Casey.

Casey won by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back