VFL Footscray Bulldogs - VFL 2022 Pre-Season Update

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 Pre-Season Update - Footscray Bulldogs​

The Footscray Bulldogs have lacked big signing news so far this pre-season but have confirmed one Ex-AFL player that will join the Bulldogs in 2022 while a range of other players has departed to other clubs for further opportunity. Footscray was named the winner of the minor premiership at the end of the 2021 season after an undefeated run including wins against the Casey Demons and Geelong Cats. They looked unstoppable in 2021 and will attempt to have the same feel around them as they run out at the beginning of 2022.

Competition Updates​

The Victorian Football League will return for the 2022 season on March the 26th and will continue to align closely with the Australian Football League Men's season for a 22 round season with each team taking 4 byes each. The Aspley Hornets are the only team to confirm their exit from the eastern coast competition with the remaining 21 clubs beginning to strengthen their sides for another run.

The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.

The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

Outgoing Players​

Jesse Glass-McCasker was reliable in the ruck and across the ground for the Footscray Bulldogs in 10 games during 2021 but has departed the kennel for Carlton's reserve side. Glass-McCasker averaged 10 disposals across the season, 15 hit outs, and included a big game against Frankston in round six where he won 33 hit-outs, collected 16 disposals, five tackles, and was even seen to find the scoreboard as he kicked one of seven goals for the season.

After being awarded a position in the VFL's team of the year, Robbie McComb has also left the VFL program but has not gone far as he picked up an AFL contract with the Western Bulldogs during the 2021 AFL Rookie Draft at pick 32. McComb had an outstanding 2021 VFL season as he averaged 25 disposals across nine games and will still be available for selection in the VFL if he is not required by the AFL side.

The same applies to development list player Cody Raak who was also picked up as a rookie but will be part of the club's category B list after spending time in the Western Bulldogs next generation academy. Raak managed just three VFL games in 2021.

Reuben William is another that has departed the Bulldogs to join Werribee and joins Tate Short (Caulfield), Nick Baltas (Caulfield), and Darcy Cassar (Werribee) in finding a new home.

Baltas and Cassar were not able to find game time in a strong Footscray outfit last season, whereas Short was selected in five but could not do enough to be a consistent selection at the level. William tops the quartet with seven 2021 games that included two-goal games on two occasions.

Ben Cavarra, Will Hayes, Patrick Lipinski, and Lewis Young will also leave holes in Footscray’s list as their time finished up at the Western Bulldogs and will no longer be available for the Footscray Bulldogs at the VFL level.

Lipinski has joined Collingwood's AFL list after a strong three-game stint at the VFL level averaging 34.7 disposals and even included a 40 disposal game in round two.

Ben Cavarra and Will Hayes were also both unable to find a list spot for an AFL side. The duo played in eight games over the course of the season with Cavarra averaging 18.6 disposals and Hayes averaging 28 disposals while bringing immense tackle pressure across the ground.

Incoming Players​

The Footscray Bulldogs have signed a key player in their run for premiership success with Ex-AFL listed Joel Garner moving to Victoria for 2022.

Garner played four matches over four years at Port Adelaide after being drafted in the 2017 National Draft with pick 60 overall. It took Joel till 2019 to debut and that season was the last time he lined up at the AFL level as he was delisted at the end of the 2021 season.

The Port Adelaide departee instead spent the majority of his time at the South Australian state level where he played 17 games in 2021 and included highlight games against Central District (22 disposals, 1 Goal) and Adelaide (21 disposals, 2 goals, 6 tackles).

Joel Garner will be an important signing for the upcoming season and will ensure the Bulldogs can stay on top.

Summary​

Stewart Edge is expected to continue to lead the VFL squad as a range of talent leaves the club, he’ll have a task ahead of him to remain the league’s best.

Edge was appointed the head coach of the Western Bulldogs reserve side prior to the 2021 season after taking over from Daniel Giansiracusa and was named the VFL's coach of the year.

The Footscray Bulldogs have 30 list spots to fill.

IN: Joel Garner (Port Adelaide)

OUT:
Jesse Glass-McCasker (Carlton), Robbie McComb (AFL), Cody Raak (AFL), Reuben William (Werribee), Jordan Boyd (Carlton AFL), Nick Baltas (Caulfield), Darcy Cassar (Werribee), Tate Short (Caulfield)

RE-SIGNED:
TBC

TO BE CONFIRMED:
Lachie Sullivan, Nathan Drummond, Bailey Van De Heuvel, Nayef Hamad, Corey Preston, Liam Nash, Daniel Orgill, Ewan MacPherson, Josh Kellett, Lachlan Dawson, Cooper Craig-Peters, Charlie Cormack, Austin Hodge, Lachlan Stephens, Charlie Langford, Jarrod Gilbee, Ned Nichols, Chance Doultree, Spencer Anderson

I hope you all don't mind that I post this here. I have been doing similar threads on reddit to bring more attention to the VFL/East Coast competition and thought the Big Footy community would also enjoy. Footscray were one of my favourites in the previous season and I wish them all the best for 2022.

Last edited:
I hope you all don't mind that I post this here. I have been doing similar threads on reddit to bring more attention to the VFL/East Coast competition and thought the Big Footy community would also join. Footscray were one of my favourites in the previous season and I wish them all the best for 2022.
Thank you for that lost a few players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back