Game Day Footscray v Richmond Whitten Oval 1:00pm 6 July 19 -no stream

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
From RFC website...

The VFL Tigers will look to stay atop the ladder on Saturday when they meet Footscray at VU Whitten Oval from 1.00pm.
Leading the Tigers out will be Jacob Ballard, who will take on the captain duties in Steve Morris’ absence.
It will be a familiar role for Ballard, who has skippered the Tigers on three occasions already this year.

After experiencing close contests against the Bulldogs in their past few meetings, Ballard is expecting another tough battle in enemy territory on Saturday afternoon.

“(Footscray) have always been a pretty tough opponent for us, it’s always a tough match-up,” he said.
A key member of the program, Ballard, 24, joined the VFL Tigers in 2016 after spending two years on Fremantle's rookie list.
His versatility on the field coupled with his leadership traits has seen him become a stalwart of the side.

A member of Richmond VFL’s leadership team for the past three years, Ballard said it was an “honour” to captain the side.
“I love being a part of the leadership group,” he said.
“It’s always a shame not having Moz (Steve Morris) out there because we know how good he is as a leader, and how he sets the bar really high.
“But the way we’ve been going this year and the way our team works, someone else just comes in and puts the jumper on and not too much changes.”

Ballard believes the continuity within the VFL-listed players in the team is something that has held the Tigers in good stead this year, currently with a 10-1 record.
“I think having a core group in the VFL now for a number of years has lent itself to success,” he said.
“I’m really proud. It’s definitely been a great start to the season, but it’s nothing that we didn’t expect that we had the potential to do.
“It’s a great position to be in and gives us every chance to build into a good finals run.”

The VFL Tigers have added seven to their Round 14 side, headed by AFL-listed rebounding defender Oleg Markov, who returns following a one-week suspension.

Chad Harris, Charlie Thompson, Shaun Mannagh, Connor Riley, Nick Baltas and Lachlan Street round out the inclusions.

Out of the side that defeated Sandringham by 15 points in Round 13 is Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, who will make his debut with Richmond’s senior side, Bailey Lambert and Morris.

The Bulldogs match will mark Connor Menadue's 50th VFL game.
The VFLW Tigers will run out onto VU Whitten Oval at 4.00pm to face the Western Bulldogs following the 1.00pm VFL clash.

Tiger fans can follow live updates from Footscray via the Richmond VFL Twitterand Instagram accounts.

VFL Round 14 team

B:
38. N. Balta, 53. H. Beasley, 78. D. Coffield
HB: 31. O. Markov, 42. R. Garthwaite, 45. P. Naish
C: 7. D. Butler, 26. R. Collier-Dawkins, 37. C. Menadue
HF:
39. J. Aarts, 79. W. Coates, 64. T. Silvestro
F: 48. L. Baker, 54. J. Ballard, 13. J. Higgins
R: 40. C. Coleman-Jones, 21. J. Townsend, 16. M. Weller
Int:
61. J. Fletcher, 56. B. Grewar, 58. C. Harris, 52. S. Mannagh, 62. L. Nelson, 68. C. Riley , 55. L. Street, 60. C. Thompson
23P: 71. N. Baltas

In: C. Harris, C. Thompson, S. Mannagh, C. Riley , N. Baltas, O. Markov, L. Street

Out: D. Eggmolesse-Smith, B. Lambert, S. Morris

Last edited:
If I am reading things correctly the Mutts should paddock 16 AFL listed players.

They had a massively dominant win v Port Melbourne last week and this form looks a little ominous for us. Port were similarly trounced by the Bombers before that so the Bulldogs form may not be as strong as it appears. Especially as two rounds ago the Dogs lost to Collingwood which is not all that easy to do, though the Pies' form seems to have improved sharply over recent weeks. The week prior the Dogs smashed the Blues. And before that they had a bye. So their form is a bit tricky to read given it generally looks very strong but they threw in a shocker at home v the Pies. The only thing about that loss was the deficit was all contained to the fourth term, so it is possible it is an outlier.

Our team looks generally well balanced beside a dearth of established key forwards. Our small forwards and small mid/forwards look a real strength. Egmolesse-Smith could be badly missed, he has been a constant winner in defence and a very crucial rebound player.

I sense this is a difficult one for us to win, but I have had a similar sense in several other matches, principally v Bombers, Cats, Hawks, and we keep finding the line. I won't be betting in this one but Tigers start clear favourite giving 8.5 start and I wouldn't be confident either way on that line based on form, venue and named teams.

This is a hard one. We match up terribly with Bulldogs in both AFL and VFL.

Well, at least I thought the same against Williamstown away this year and we beat them for the first time by a cool 51 points

Baker 9 disposals (6 kicks 3 handballs) 3 marks 1 tackle
Higgins 9 disposals (5 kicks 4 handballs) 1 mark 2 tackles 1.1
Menadue 7 disposals (5 kicks 2 handballs) 2 marks 2 tackles
CCJ 6 disposals (2 kicks 4 handballs) 1 mark 2 tackles 10 hitouts 1.0
Butler 4 disposals (3 kicks 1 handball) 3 tackles 0.1.
Markov 4 disposals (3 kicks 1 handball) 3 marks 1.0
Garthwaite 3 disposals (1 kick 2 handballs) 1 mark
Naish 3 disposals (1 kick 2 handballs) 1 tackle
Townsend 3 disposals (1 kick 2 handballs) 1 mark 2 tackles
Balta 2 disposals (2 kicks)
RCD 1 tackle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was one team that I wouldn’t mind us ever playing again it’s the Bulldogs. VFL and AFL level. Footscray have hardly been accurate this season and have scored 9.3 so far.

Baker 16 disposals (10 kicks 6 handballs) 6 marks 3 tackles
Higgins 13 disposals (6 kicks 7 handballs) 1 mark 5 tackles 1.1
Townsend 12 disposals (9 kicks 3 handballs) 3 marks 4 tackles
Menadue 11 disposals (5 kicks 6 handballs) 2 marks 3 tackles
Naish 9 disposals (5 kicks 4 handballs) 1 tackle
Butler 8 disposals (7 kicks 1 handball) 5 tackles 0.1.
CCJ 8 disposals (4 kicks 4 handballs) 2 marks 2 tackles 14 hitouts 1.0
Markov 8 disposals (7 kicks 1 handball) 7 marks 1 tackle 2.0
Garthwaite 4 disposals (2 kick 2 handballs) 2 marks 1 tackle
Balta 3 disposals (3 kicks)
RCD 3 disposals (1 kick 2 handballs) 2 tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back