VFL Footscray v Southport Sat 23 April, 3.05pm @ WO

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel gutted for these kids. The consensus was they'd get smashed by Southport and they led for most of the match.

Great effort with no recognised AFL players on the field. Only three have played at AFL level and they have a grand total of 9 AFL career games among the lot of them.

I hope the seniors were watching ...

I feel gutted for these kids. The consensus was they'd get smashed by Southport and they led for most of the match.

Great effort with no recognised AFL players on the field. Only three have played at AFL level and they have a grand total of 9 AFL career games among the lot of them.

Yeah, I doubt that they'd have won if West or Roarke was out there.

Commentator: "After all the adversity they have had today. " I thought their plane flight was just delayed a few hours, wasn't aware that it crashed midflight and they had to be saved by lifeboats to get to the game in time.

Yeah it's not like they were going in given no chance of winning, they were the overwhelming favourite.

Khamis could be handy as a swingman or even a replacement for Williams who has struggled all season.
Cleary is improving nicely but needs a year or two in the gym.
Jones is a very long way off AFL physically and fitness wise. Likewise, another year of strengthening would enable him to compete with bigger bodies.
Raak does some nice calm things in the backline but doesn't stand out as a running, dashing type and is too short as a key. Worth more development.
Not convinced about Sweet at all. He gets his usual quota of hitouts but not sure we benefit much from them. Did more around the ground in the final quarter but he just doesn't stand out against reasonable opponents at this level.
Butler worked hard but this is his level.
Parker gives the impression he's still working into fitness, spends a lot of time off the ground. May have more impact with more games under his belt. Played Ok.

Last edited:
Stats not final, CD will do a review tomorrow and I will post an update one it's done.

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 68%
SO: 60%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 62%
SO: 54%

Hitouts / To Advantage
37 / 11 - Sweet
9 / 1 - Khamis

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 12
SO: 17

First Possessions
FO: 44
SO: 56

Clearances / Centre Clearances

FO: 37 / 8
SO: 49 / 11

Contested Marks
FO: 7
SO: 7

Marks Inside 50
FO: 10
SO: 6

Defensive 50 Marks
FO: 23
SO: 17

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
FO: 7
SO: 5

Spoils
FO: 48
SO: 25

Score Launches
3 - Chatfield, Macpherson, Parker
2 - Doultree, Goater, Raak
1 - Butler, Cormack, Craig-Peters, Garner, Gilbee, Jones, Khamis, Lewis, Sweet

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 50%
SO: 37%

Shots At Goal
FO: 26 (46%)
SO: 23 (57%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Southport)
Set Shot: 7.3 / 4.1
Snap: 3.3 / 3.4
On Run: 2.3 / 5.0
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 1.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 0.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 3.3 / 3.2
31M-40M: 4.2 / 4.1
41M-50M: 5.5 / 4.2
51M+: 0.0 / 0.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.2 / 2.1
Scores In Time-On: 6.6 / 7.5

Smothers
FO: 9
SO: 5

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
131 - Orgill
111 - Macpherson
107 - Sweet
101 - Gilbee
96 - Cleary
89 - Khamis
85 - Drummond
79 - Doultree
79 - Hamad
79 - Chatfield
74 - Vanderhuevel
74 - Parker
71 - Jones
70 - Hodge
68 - Butler
65 - Garner
63 - Raak
58 - Kellet
53 - Cormack
48 - Goater
46 - Lewis
33 - Bade
17 - Craig-Peters

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

Player Stats Table
PS.png

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

VFL side has been always been a very strong for at least the last 8 years. Two flags, unbeaten last year and constantly having 15-18 AFL listed players in the side. Up against this season, good effort tonight , played as well as what they could and unlucky.

Out of the ones listed it looks like Khamis and Parker are the furthest along while Cleary & Jones are not far off that. Sweet, Raak, Butler are at the low end.

It was a great effort. You could tell that our VFL/Top-up players gave it everything they could, many just happy to be out there for a rare appearance in the Red, White and Blue. Bit of a shame they couldn't hang on but they gave a good team a real dogfight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was good last week.

If he backs this up with another good performance I’d give him a debut at afl.

It would be good to play a genuine winger than a makeshift one.

I think he'll still take some time to develop as he's a pretty raw prospect. As long as we make sure that we're developing him as a winger instead of throwing him about the ground.

Crozier and West were out on Mars running sprints after the game. Why on earth wouldn't they just go play an actual game!? Would love to know the logic behind that one..

Bevo will probably blame the soft cap. Again.

I think he'll still take some time to develop as he's a pretty raw prospect. As long as we make sure that we're developing him as a winger instead of throwing him about the ground.
Typically I would expect he’d have a extended stint in the 2s and get a look in for the 2nd part of the season, but our bottom 6 is really getting exposed at the moment and there is a particular lack of depth on either wing.

Therefore I wouldn’t be against giving him a early taste for it and seeing what he capable of.

Saying that im not sure if his still on managed minutes, seems like he is still spending a fair portion of games on the bench.

Final VFL stats...
PS.png
kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back