Footscray VFL 2021

JUH spent most of the first half, deep forward or on the goal line directly behind his opponent trying to use his height to advantage to pluck the ball at its highest point. At this he mostly failed and actually looked a little out of his depth. He looked a lot better in the second half when leading up at the ball but still managed to spill a lot of ball that he should've grasped.

5 goals notwithstanding (sounds crazy...eh?) the reality is that he is still a fair way off being anywhere near the senior side. Let alone ready to hold down a key position post. His time will clearly come, but I doubt its anytime soon.

Theres going to be a lot of media hype in the coming days about his game, but that's all it for anybody who is and wiling to look beyond a slightly padded goal tally and is not interested in generating clickbait. So you know, not anybody with AFLMedia accreditation and a deadline to fill.

Last edited:

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we outsourced our twiiter feed to to the Philipines...?

20210422_221706.jpg

West and Lipinski too good for that level.

Garcia and khamis impressive. Garcia looks a small mid, but id take him as a small forward over McNeil right now.

I want a small forward in the seniors so bad, but it’s not Cavarra the more I see of him. Looks a VFL level guy.

Weightman will benefit so much from a full VFL season. Needs to study Toby Greene. Nice talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Pretty impressive effort

Lipi, West, Buku very good

Schache didn’t get a lot of ball but kept pushing all night so kudos to him

Juh didn’t impress me on the night. Lazy and wanted to many over the back cheapies. The class is there but First game I’ve seen him play and some things I didn’t like.
Could not Strongly disagree more what you said on JUH

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tonight was a prime example of how great our vfl development pathway is

So many of the vfl listed might have gotten some scouts to get them out more

Some tough, skilled VFL players in the Footscray side. Sullivan, McComb and Boyd are all quality.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Garcia, Weightman and West were all very impressive. I could see all of them breaking through and having a real impact as a pressure small forward. I would put Cavarra fourth in line after watching that.

Garcia is an inside animal with power and speed. Weightman has plenty of burst and was finding plenty of it in the second half. West is AFL standard as a mid or pressure forward.

If you add McNeil to the three above our small forward options are perfectly fine.

I also think Schache was much more contested than in the past. Took some really competitive marks in the air and showed some scrap at ground level too. Loved it.

Buku is ahead of Young. Different type of defender but would be way more effective in our system. Is always in the right spot and knows when to mark and when to spoil. Aside from a soft broken tackle in the first was very good.

Young looked miles off it.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's clear Jamarra still has some stuff to work on. But I think it's worth repeating over and over and over that while he could hit the weights last year, he didn't actually get to play. Integral to development, but he couldn't do much about that.

But I think the right perspective here is that he's still dominating the VFL despite already copping a fair bit more defensive attention than your average VFL player, and despite the fact that his fitness isn't where it needs to be (as well as some other minor issues).

Fortunately as long as English-Naughton-Bruce keep on producing goals, then Jamarra can have plenty of time to work it out, even if he is kicking bags. Then if we get to a point where Jamarra is fit enough, we can look at maybe (I apologise in advance here) shifting certain guys around to make sure we have the best possible team at AFL level.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those wanting stats from the VFL tonight there is a full team table at the bottom of the post...

Be warned that stats are missing from the first 8 minutes of the third quarter. Once they get added by Champion Data I'll update the post.

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 74%
GW: 68%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 69%
GW: 65%

Hitouts/To Advantage
38/13 - Sweet
3/2 - Glass-McCasker
2/0 - Schache

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 15
GW: 8

First Possessions
FO: 42
GW: 31

Clearances/Centre Clearances

FO: 41/20

GW: 28/9

Contested Marks
FO: 11
GW: 17

Marks Inside 50
FO: 22
GW: 14

Marks Inside Defensive 50
FO: 15
GW: 24

Score Launches
5 - Khamis
4 - Hayes, Sweet
2 - Sullivan, Raak
1 - Young, Butler, Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Lipinski, Hannan, Garcia, Glass-McCasker, Cormack, Boyd, McComb

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 52%
GW: 46%

Shots At Goal
FO: 33 (64%)

GW: 16 (63%)

Ranking Points
139 - West
119 - Lipinski
119 - Sweet
118 - Hayes
115 - Sullivan
105 - Ugle-Hagan
102 - Butler
95 - Cormack
94 - Cavarra
91 - Hannan
86 - Wallis
86 - Khamis
84 - Weightman
78 - McComb
67 - Garcia
67 - Young
67 - Schache
61 - Raak
60 - William
55 - Bedendo
47 - Boyd
34 - Glass-McCasker

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.17.06 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.17.26 pm.png

Player Table
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.18.14 pm.png

West and Lipinski too good for that level.

Garcia and khamis impressive. Garcia looks a small mid, but id take him as a small forward over McNeil right now.

I want a small forward in the seniors so bad, but it’s not Cavarra the more I see of him. Looks a VFL level guy.

Weightman will benefit so much from a full VFL season. Needs to study Toby Greene. Nice talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agreed on Cavarra, he just doesn't have it IMO.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam Power has a big job keeping our next wave of talent (Lipinski, West etc.) together over the next while.

wian

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
Watched the whole game. How West hasn't got a gig before McNeil and Scott especially is absolutely beyond me.

Think Cavarra played well today and pissed off he was made the scape goat again 🐐

Back