Glory Glory Footscray Bulldogs
We'll beat those filthy bastards whoever they may be
And we'll go marching on.

The siren! Let's sing the team song, one and all:

We'll beat those filthy bastards whoever they may be
And we'll go marching on.
So you're celebrating like an American patriot now DW. Perhaps a closeted Confederate?

Didn’t watch the game but assuming Darcy played forward?

How’d be play?
Played about 50% ruck and 20-25% resting forward.

Outstanding when rucking. His height meant he could palm the ball wherever he wanted and apart from shocking bounces in the centre that the umpire failed to call back (unless it favoured us) he won most of his tap contests. Great signs but it won't be that easy when he's up against equally tall but heavier blokes in the seniors.

Also took a few good marks and won a few ground clearances too.

Blotted his copybook in the last qtr by missing a soda from 15m directly in front after a mark. Then had a free to him at 50m overturned, which ended in a Hawks goal.

Very good signs overall. The bloke's a natural ruckman. Didn't play any minutes in defence as far as I could tell.

Last edited:
So you're celebrating like an American patriot now DW. Perhaps a closeted Confederate?
Well unless you write your own tune every song has its own baggage. I argue that Sons of the Sea is worse and I'm sure D Mitchell will back me up on this.

The words were actually of Union origin but they used the tune of a religious hymn created in the South well before the Civil War.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Full stats breakdown (full player stats at the bottom of the post)...

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 68%
BH: 68%

Kicking Efficiency

FO: 64%
BH: 61%

Hitouts / To Advantage
20 / 7 - Darcy
14 / 4 - Lewis
3 / 1 - Khamis
2 / 0 - Bedendo

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 12
BH: 9

First Possessions
FO: 51
BH: 28

Clearances / Centre Clearances

FO: 46 / 11
BH: 28 / 7

Contested Marks
FO: 12
BH: 8

Marks Inside 50
FO: 11
BH: 5

Defensive 50 Marks
FO: 17
BH: 31

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
FO: 6
BH: 10

Spoils
FO: 18
BH: 22

Score Launches
4 - Darcy
3 - Sullivan
2 - Lewis, McLean
1 - Bedendo, Cleary, Craig-Peters, Drummond, Garner, Hamad, Hunter, Jones, Kellet, Khamis, R. Smith

Inside 50 Efficiency

FO: 47%
BH: 44%

Shots At Goal
FO: 28 (50%)
BH: 17 (35%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Box Hill)
Set Shot: 6.4 / 1.2
Snap: 4.3 / 4.3
On Run: 4.1 / 1.2
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.1

0M-15M: 3.0 / 1.2
15M-30M: 3.4 / 3.1
31M-40M: 2.2 / 1.1
41M-50M: 5.2 / 1.3
51M+: 1.0 / 0.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 2.2 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 5.4 / 3.3

Smothers
FO: 5
BH: 4

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
137 - Sullivan
133 - Darcy
111 - Hunter
106 - McLean
104 - Bedendo
101 - Lewis
100 - Cordy
88 - Gilbee
81 - Kellet
81 - Garner
81 - R. Smith
77 - Garcia
75 - Khamis
72 - Cleary
66 - Orgill
59 - Craig-Peters
58 - Drummond
52 - Jones
52 - Macpherson
49 - Hamad
44 - Bade
40 - Hodge
23 - Chatfield

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

Player Stats Table

FT.png

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

My take on what I saw of Dog's players:

Hunter - played as a rover which is probably not his best role but was fairly prolific and showed a bit more class than most out there, mainly in his side-stepping and vision. Had the usual problem with so-so disposal. Not outstanding but good enough for a recall to the seniors this week or next.

Darcy - as stated above I thought he was outstanding when rucking. On today's showing that's got to be his future even if he serves a longish apprenticeship like his Dad did behind Scott Wynd. Didn't do much around the ground but it was hard to tell whether he was on the pine or in the forward pocket when not rucking. Definitely spent some time forward and didn't do a lot.

Cordy - solid and unspectacular. Did some good things. The odd clanger. A typical Cordy game. If Bevo cracks the shits with the seniors defence I suppose he's a rough chance for a call-up.

McLean - kicked a couple of goals and still has a touch of class. Not ready yet but maybe in another week or two. Hasn't forgotten how to get low for a free kick but the umpire wasn't buying it most of the time, even when it was justified.

Khamis - I was a bit disappointed. I watched him closely because I like what he brings at his best - good positioning, strong hands, good leap, straight shooting, etc. He did kick three goals including a beauty from the 50 but spilled quite a few marks, didn't chase and harass as much as he could. He also rucked a bit up forward but was pretty ineffectual. It just seemed like a game of wasted opportunities despite the three goals. I wouldn't be rushing him back into the 22 on that showing.

Bedendo - the name that's a commentators nightmare. Maybe settle for the Bandido. Played OK but wasted a few kicks with unforced clangers. Not a game that says pick me this week, especially for a game in Brisbane. But you never know with Bevo. He had 20 disposals including 18 kicks so others may see it differently to me. He took a few ruck contests too and wasn't too bad, probably with his great leap.

Jones - an up-and-down performance. Had a few dazzling moments including a difficult shot on goal on the run and a great grab in defence but early on he had some shocking disposals, both HBs and kicks. Overall I felt it was a promising game. Not ready yet though. We might need to wait until 2023.

Cleary - quiet game. Not surprising after Covid. Didn't do anything bad but didn't do enough to get a call-up. Maybe in another week.

R Smith - an OK sort of game. Took an early hanger for a goal but suffered a head cut from a boot after diving for a mark in the 2Q. Came back on later and did some good things. Not many disposals but probably had reduced ToG. He's pretty reliable but not prolific.

Garcia - I was hoping for a bit more. Busy as always and never lacking for courage at the bottom of the pack. Didn't do enough for a call-up to my way of thinking.

Absent for one reason or another (I think some may have Covid):

Wallis, Martin, Bruce, Butler, Vandermeer, Parker, Hannan, McNeil, Raak, (plus Duryea and English who are out of the seniors of course)

Overall a good performance from the VFL side. Sullivan again the best of the non-WB list but they all put in and can hold their head high. I liked Lewis Gilbee and Drummond among others. Nice to have 2 from 2 this weekend and it's not even Saturday night yet.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Well unless you write your own tune every song has its own baggage. I argue that Sons of the Sea is worse and I'm sure D Mitchell will back me up on this.

The words were actually of Union origin but they used the tune of a religious hymn created in the South well before the Civil War.

The problem with Sons Of The Seas is it is only 2 chords.
that means it has to be sung with a lot of gusto and inflection, otherwise boring as all get out .
Team song after a win is shizen 👎

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The problem with Sons Of The Seas is it is only 2 chords.
that means it has to be sung with a lot of gusto and inflection, otherwise boring as all get out .
Team song after a win is shizen 👎
I remember as a kid, that bigger boddied kid in the Barkly St band .Who at half time at the old Western oval would be blowing that trumpet to the bobbing up and down theme.Like there was no tomorrow
And the inspiration it gave us all.
Maybe an unofficial song like Liverpool has ,would work. Can we sing the voice .

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember as a kid, that bigger boddied kid in the Barkly St band .Who at half time at the old Western oval would be blowing that trumpet to the bobbing up and down theme.Like there was no tomorrow
And the inspiration it gave us all.
Maybe an unofficial song like Liverpool has ,would work. Can we sing the voice .

And West Coast unofficially has Eagle Rock, but we should find one that doesn't encourage dropping of pants.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Played about 50% ruck and 20-25% resting forward.

Outstanding when rucking. His height meant he could palm the ball wherever he wanted and apart from shocking bounces in the centre that the umpire failed to call back (unless it favoured us) he won most of his tap contests. Great signs but it won't be that easy when he's up against equally tall but heavier blokes in the seniors.

Also took a few good marks and won a few ground clearances too.

Blotted his copybook in the last qtr by missing a soda from 15m directly in front after a mark. Then had a free to him at 50m overturned, which ended in a Hawks goal.

Very good signs overall. The bloke's a natural ruckman. Didn't play any minutes in defence as far as I could tell.

Cheers DW.

Stoked to hear he played the ruck/fwd role. Been really keen to see that happen and the fact he’s played it well is a massive positive.

What was his physicality like? Although his fwd game won’t require it as much at this stage, he’ll need it if he’s playing big minutes in the ruck.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My take on what I saw of Dog's players:

Hunter - played as a rover which is probably not his best role but was fairly prolific and showed a bit more class than most out there, mainly in his side-stepping and vision. Had the usual problem with so-so disposal. Not outstanding but good enough for a recall to the seniors this week or next.

Darcy - as stated above I thought he was outstanding when rucking. On today's showing that's got to be his future even if he serves a longish apprenticeship like his Dad did behind Scott Wynd. Didn't do much around the ground but it was hard to tell whether he was on the pine or in the forward pocket when not rucking. Definitely spent some time forward and didn't do a lot.

Cordy - solid and unspectacular. Did some good things. The odd clanger. A typical Cordy game. If Bevo cracks the shits with the seniors defence I suppose he's a rough chance for a call-up.

McLean - kicked a couple of goals and still has a touch of class. Not ready yet but maybe in another week or two. Hasn't forgotten how to get low for a free kick but the umpire wasn't buying it most of the time, even when it was justified.

Khamis - I was a bit disappointed. I watched him closely because I like what he brings at his best - good positioning, strong hands, good leap, straight shooting, etc. He did kick three goals including a beauty from the 50 but spilled quite a few marks, didn't chase and harass as much as he could. He also rucked a bit up forward but was pretty ineffectual. It just seemed like a game of wasted opportunities despite the three goals. I wouldn't be rushing him back into the 22 on that showing.

Bedendo - the name that's a commentators nightmare. Maybe settle for the Bandido. Played OK but wasted a few kicks with unforced clangers. Not a game that says pick me this week, especially for a game in Brisbane. But you never know with Bevo. He had 20 disposals including 18 kicks so others may see it differently to me. He took a few ruck contests too and wasn't too bad, probably with his great leap.

Jones - an up-and-down performance. Had a few dazzling moments including a difficult shot on goal on the run and a great grab in defence but early on he had some shocking disposals, both HBs and kicks. Overall I felt it was a promising game. Not ready yet though. We might need to wait until 2023.

Cleary - quiet game. Not surprising after Covid. Didn't do anything bad but didn't do enough to get a call-up. Maybe in another week.

R Smith - an OK sort of game. Took an early hanger for a goal but suffered a head cut from a boot after diving for a mark in the 2Q. Came back on later and did some good things. Not many disposals but probably had reduced ToG. He's pretty reliable but not prolific.

Garcia - I was hoping for a bit more. Busy as always and never lacking for courage at the bottom of the pack. Didn't do enough for a call-up to my way of thinking.

Absent for one reason or another (I think some may have Covid):

Wallis, Martin, Bruce, Butler, Vandermeer, Parker, Hannan, McNeil, Raak, (plus Duryea and English who are out of the seniors of course)

Overall a good performance from the VFL side. Sullivan again the best of the non-WB list but they all put in and can hold their head high. I liked Lewis Gilbee and Drummond among others. Nice to have 2 from 2 this weekend and it's not even Saturday night yet.

Good summary.

I thought Cleary was very good though and deserves a call up. Seemed to be playing deep in defence for a fair bit of the match and spent some time on Fergus Greene the leading goal kicker who did nothing all game. Intercepted well, spoilt well, used it very well and I don't remember him losing a one on one. Played his role to a pretty high level IMO.

I also thought Cordy defended very well.

This was a far different Bulldog effort than the very lacklustre performance they put in against Carlton. The pressure on the opposition stifled their run and carry and the Footscray listed players played their roles much better.
We are building good depth which will be very valuable in the difficult run home. Further, if Darcy was 10kg heavier he'd be in the seniors now.

Cheers DW.

Stoked to hear he played the ruck/fwd role. Been really keen to see that happen and the fact he’s played it well is a massive positive.

What was his physicality like? Although his fwd game won’t require it as much at this stage, he’ll need it if he’s playing big minutes in the ruck.
For a 19 yo it was fine. He wasn’t rag dolling anybody or brushing them aside like Tom Hawkins does but he held his own physically.

What I liked was his ruck technique. Positioning of his body wrt to his opponent, awareness of where his rovers are, ability to get a full palm in their direction, etc.

It’s a big call, but on that showing (small sample I know) his tap work is about 1-2 seasons ahead of where English was at the same age. Not as good around the ground but then English is now probably the best ruckman in the league at that.

Back