2nds Footscray vs Box Hill Saturday, June 25, 1.05pm @ Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

For a 19 yo it was fine. He wasn’t rag dolling anybody or brushing them aside like Tom Hawkins does but he held his own physically.

What I liked was his ruck technique. Positioning of his body wrt to his opponent, awareness of where his rovers are, ability to get a full palm in their direction, etc.

It’s a big call, but on that showing (small sample I know) his tap work is about 1-2 seasons ahead of where English was at the same age. Not as good around the ground but then English is now probably the best ruckman in the league at that.

I hope they persevere with him in that role. He’s perfect for it and it’s a role we’re desperate to fill.

It helps the reserves side a lot when the first team play before the seconds. We actually had a reasonable amount of afl listed players.

Darcy is far exceeding my expectations in his first year. I reckon he will debut if we end up dropping away and are out of final contention.

Toby McLean looked really clean. I think he could be a good lockdown defender to replace Taylor Duryea.

Hunter and Bendendo were also really good.

Screenshot-20220625-215320-Instagram.jpg

Decent shiner on Roarke

Haven’t watched this yet will watch a replay soon but glad to hear Darcy impressed in the ruck, first thing I said when I saw him for the first time was how much of a Timmy clone he looks like with the way he moves and uses the ball, exciting that his ruck craft is not too bad too.

He’s coming on pretty quickly, another preseason and there’s no real reason he can’t be pushing for that ruck/fwd spot next year, I can’t wait to see him fwd he’s done everything else well since coming in.

Future line up with Naughty, Jamarra, Darcy & English is getting closer boys, can’t come soon enough

Haven’t watched this yet will watch a replay soon but glad to hear Darcy impressed in the ruck, first thing I said when I saw him for the first time was how much of a Timmy clone he looks like with the way he moves and uses the ball, exciting that his ruck craft is not too bad too.

He’s coming on pretty quickly, another preseason and there’s no real reason he can’t be pushing for that ruck/fwd spot next year, I can’t wait to see him fwd he’s done everything else well since coming in.

Future line up with Naughty, Jamarra, Darcy & English is getting closer boys, can’t come soon enough
Schache says hi too!

Schache says hi too!
Schache needs to keep on saying hi for a few more weeks first 😊

It’ll be interesting what we do with him, and geez there’s something different about him the last two weeks - maybe it has finally clicked? But I’m not getting my hopes up just yet as it’s probably just as likely to fall away again.

Either way he might just find himself as back up in a few years as I think Jamarra will comfortably be a better forward by next year (if he’s not already) and Darcy should be a much better forward/2nd ruck maybe sooner rather than later - so I’m not sure where that leaves the Shack attack unfortunately.

Ideally Darcy develops into some sort of hybrid defender/ruck if Schache keeps his form forward of the ball, gives us the flexibility to shift him around a bit and help out all parts of the ground. 2 tall defenders, English ruck, Naughty, Jamarra, Schache forward and Darcy floating between all 3 spots helping out defence, stretching teams forward when we’re dominating around the ball and being a genuinely good ruck support

Tim English Josh Schache
Born Aug 10, 1997 (age 24) born 21 August 1997

While it seems Schache has been around for a long time he is still quite young for a tall and 11 days younger than big Tim
Maybe its just a case of him being a slow burn as a tall and he is just coming into that zone where he comes good.
Heres hoping.

Pretty exiting to see Darcy in the domestique jersey in the Bedendo debut announcement video. Can’t remember too many of our recruits given that honor within their first 5 or 6 games at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back