Footscray vs Carlton 17th June 7:35pm @ Ikon Park

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yet to see a clean chain of possession and smooth transition from defence. We are very two touch tonight. Blues' pressure has been good. Ours has been very lacking, disappointing.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah Bedendos disposal is a bit shaky at times but I think it’s solid enough to go with his strengths. Garcia is a bit of a worry because his disposal is genuinely terrile most of the time and a real liability - he does everything else right though so who knows. I think he either needs to make it as a genuine Libba like in and under or maybe a FP bull chained to the forward line sort of like late career Clay Smith. I think West has more upside as a similar type though

Oh I think Bendendo will make it, I don't think his disposal is bad. It's something that may be holding him back from debuting at the moment though.

Garcia really needs to hit the scoreboard a lot more.

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow, this is a really insipid performance. We look lazy and unmotivated. I hope that the flu has ripped through the club this week, because that's the only excuse for this lamentable effort.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah terrrrrible team performance but overall happy enough with what I’ve seen from the players I actually think have a future.

Bruce looks fit, Hunter been sloppy but efforts there which is the main thing from him - a run in the legs for both of them.

Darcy has me sold on his future - he’s obviously gonna take some time but he looks like an elite tall prospect to my eyes. Bedendo too - these are the two A grade prospects out of our seniors team right now. I think they both have huge futures.

Arty is extremely raw and no where near it at the moment but the little things he does here and there stand out as a player who has something just a little special - will never be a star or a high output type but definitely has a future, should be a pretty handy impact HFF/Wing imo

Pretty dominant ruckmans game from Sweet, not sure if the Carlton ruckman is much chop though. I like him, he is what he is, just a solid genuine ruck - I’m sure he could play AFL for some club and have an impact at the level but probably not us as we don’t really rate that from a ruck. I see him as a Soldo ceiling type, only going to get harder for him to get a game as Darcy comes on but hopefully he’s happy to stay around as back up as we could do a lot lot worse.

Cordy, Croz, Wally and Rourke really shouldn’t play unless there’s plenty of injuries but you know what you’re going to get from them if needed

And I can’t really see a future for Raak (still got time on his side though) and Butler.

It’s a shocking standard of footy and must be hard to look good - don’t worry about the results just look at the individual performances and move on…

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everytime I’ve seen Darcy play he has impressed me. Ripping mark already, gets into the right positions and is just a generally classy and smart footballer. Looks composed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Truly one of our worst games since rejoining the VFL. Our 3rd lowest handball efficiency on record. To lose the disposal count and the tackle count is extremely concerning. 9 of Carlton's 20 scores were sourced from our D50 which just shows how poor we were.

Bedendo surely is close to making a senior debut and was it excellent to see Bruce back and involved. Let's hope Garcia can stay injury-free as his best is very good and we saw a glimpse of that tonight. Darcy with 13 marks and 5 intercept marks was impressive as well, I thought we wouldn't see him at AFL level this year but now I think it's possible he'll get a match sooner rather than later.

Now as always.. (full player stats at the bottom of the post, stats not final, post will be updated once CD complete their review)

Disposal Efficiency

FO: 60%
CA: 65%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 54%
CA: 58%

Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked
30 / 10 / 10 - Sweet
1 / 0 / 0 - Hamad

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 10
CA: 11

First Possessions
FO: 44
CA: 42

Clearances / Centre Clearances

FO: 38 / 9
CA: 41 / 11

Contested Marks
FO: 5
CA: 5

Marks Inside 50
FO: 9
CA: 12

Defensive 50 Marks
FO: 29
CA: 28

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
FO: 8
CA: 6

Spoils
FO: 34
CA: 19

Score Launches
3 - Garcia, Sweet
2 - Lewis
1 - Butler, Chatfield, Crozier, Drummond, Hunter, R. Smith, Vanderhuevel, Wallis

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 33%
CA: 49%

Shots At Goal
FO: 15 (53%)
CA: 23 (48%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Carlton)
Set Shot: 6.3 / 4.5
Snap: 1.2 / 3.2
On Run: 1.2 / 3.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 1.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.1

0M-15M: 1.0 / 2.1
15M-30M: 2.1 / 5.1
31M-40M: 2.2 / 2.1
41M-50M: 2.3 / 1.5
51M+: 1.1 / 1.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.0 / 1.1
Scores In Time-On: 3.2 / 6.2

Smothers
FO: 4
CA: 11

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
131 - Crozier
115 - Garcia
105 - Hunter
95 - Darcy
89 - Bedendo
88 - Sweet
80 - Raak
77 - Sullivan
72 - Butler
72 - Bruce
63 - R. Smith
57 - Wallis
54 - Drummond
51 - Macpherson
50 - Cordy
49 - Lewis
49 - Kellet
46 - Hunt
43 - Chatfield
34 - Hamad
33 - Garner
22 - Jones
12 - Vanderhuevel

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

Player Stats Table

FT.png

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doggies ftw hits the nail on the head. You are just looking for glimpes from players who look like they have the talent to come into the AFL side and have an impact. Reckon the VFL side tries really hard, but no chemistry, keep turning the ball over because of sub par skills and constantly look under the pump and second guess themselves. Coach had them firing last year but different side this year and hasn't got the cattle. Not pretty to watch this team, but good to pick out a few players who are close to AFL selection and see how they go about it in tough circumstances. Would be a ******* nightmare playing as a key forward in that side.

Very ordinary performance. 3 goals in the first 10 minutes then 5 for the rest of the match, to the Blues' 11.

Poor disposal, poor defence (Carlton just chipped and marked too easily all night), poor shooting for goal, plenty of goals conceded in red time, too many turnovers, too much fumbling of ground balls.

It was striking switching from the VFL match over to the senior game (StK v Ess) to see how much cleaner the ball handling was, even if it was under the roof.

• Darcy might be getting closer to a debut. That should be an incentive for Marra and Schache to produce their best tomorrow.
  • Bedendo is nearly ready for a game in the ones.
  • Feeling a bit sad for Crozier. Started well but quieter as the game went on.
  • Wallis didn't impress.
  • Garcia was good for his first game back after about 6 weeks out. I like him. He's always getting involved even if he doesn't have the silky skills.
  • Arty Jones not ready yet but showed a few flashes of talent. Has to get more than 9 disposals playing the role he does.
  • Hunter got a lot of it but butchered it a lot too. Should be straight into the seniors next week though.
  • Cordy was fairly solid but didn't do enough to get a promotion in my book (unless there's an injury).
  • Not a fan of Butler.
  • Sweet OK in the ruck contests but as usual not terribly effective around the ground.
  • Bruce 3 kicks for 3 goals. Competed OK but hardly a dominant performance. That might be enough given his known ability but if Schache and/or Ugle-Hagen go well tomorrow they might give him one more game in the twos.
  • Roarke competed well all night but just workmanlike.
  • Raak OK but a fair way off a game in the seniors yet.

Back