Footscray vs Carlton 17th June 7:35pm @ Ikon Park

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah terrrrrible team performance but overall happy enough with what I’ve seen from the players I actually think have a future.

Bruce looks fit, Hunter been sloppy but efforts there which is the main thing from him - a run in the legs for both of them.

Darcy has me sold on his future - he’s obviously gonna take some time but he looks like an elite tall prospect to my eyes. Bedendo too - these are the two A grade prospects out of our seniors team right now. I think they both have huge futures.

Arty is extremely raw and no where near it at the moment but the little things he does here and there stand out as a player who has something just a little special - will never be a star or a high output type but definitely has a future, should be a pretty handy impact HFF/Wing imo

Pretty dominant ruckmans game from Sweet, not sure if the Carlton ruckman is much chop though. I like him, he is what he is, just a solid genuine ruck - I’m sure he could play AFL for some club and have an impact at the level but probably not us as we don’t really rate that from a ruck. I see him as a Soldo ceiling type, only going to get harder for him to get a game as Darcy comes on but hopefully he’s happy to stay around as back up as we could do a lot lot worse.

Cordy, Croz, Wally and Rourke really shouldn’t play unless there’s plenty of injuries but you know what you’re going to get from them if needed

And I can’t really see a future for Raak (still got time on his side though) and Butler.

It’s a shocking standard of footy and must be hard to look good - don’t worry about the results just look at the individual performances and move on…
Re Sweets game, Alex Mirkov is very skinny and raw and I'm pretty sure he didn't start playing football until he was 18. Sweet only won the hitouts by 4. Sweets issue is that he doesn't win enough hitouts to hang his hat on being a tap ruckman, do enough around the ground to be an extra mid ruckman or do enough forward to be a forward/ruck. At this stage, as you said, he is just a backup. Hopefully he can develop but I'm not sure he has any elite quality which probably limits his chances.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Hunter got a lot of it but butchered it a lot too. Should be straight into the seniors next week though.

Not sure he goes straight into seniors with how you saw his game unless iHunter is replacing another butcher of the ball like McComb

There was something very off with that performance last night. Perhaps it was a case of more available listed players not gelling with the Footscray players. That doesn't excuse poor games from Wallis, Smith and Cordy. Carlton players were allowed to run out of our forward line without any pressure all night, our midfielders lacked intensity and the backs were often beaten one-on-one.
As mentioned by others, Bedendo looks near a call up and should be given some opportunities before season's end; Darcy is improving but may find the physicality of senior football beyond him this year, Jones is light year's away from senior football IMO, fumbles too often and plays out-rider too often, that's why he only gets a handful of disposals; Garcia is a very hard worker, his kicks lack penetration and his size may count against him in the seniors but he is worth retaining as a developing player.
Wasn't very impressed with any of our listed players but Bruce kicked a few from limited opportunities and being double-teamed. He won't be in the VFL for long. Hunter was his frustrating usual self: got plenty of the ball but few disposals counted for much. His promotion is probably only a week away because his two-way running is missed in the seniors.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure what everyone is expecting, but the stats for Darcy are pretty misleading.

While he got plenty of ball, it was mostly being used in a switch being the receiver for uncontested marks. He does use it well generally, but I want to see him win it in a contest, or at least spoil an opponent.

He seemed to get beaten every time he was left one out. He also needs to seriously work on his speed as he is easily left behind by every opponent.

While I think he will come good, he would be a seriously liability in the ones at this point.

Not sure he goes straight into seniors with how you saw his game unless iHunter is replacing another butcher of the ball like McComb
I’d rather Hunter than McComb. Wouldn’t you?

However knowing how MC works it’ll probably be Schache or Ugle-Hagen out for Hunter. 🙄

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
There was something very off with that performance last night. Perhaps it was a case of more available listed players not gelling with the Footscray players. That doesn't excuse poor games from Wallis, Smith and Cordy. Carlton players were allowed to run out of our forward line without any pressure all night, our midfielders lacked intensity and the backs were often beaten one-on-one.
As mentioned by others, Bedendo looks near a call up and should be given some opportunities before season's end; Darcy is improving but may find the physicality of senior football beyond him this year, Jones is light year's away from senior football IMO, fumbles too often and plays out-rider too often, that's why he only gets a handful of disposals; Garcia is a very hard worker, his kicks lack penetration and his size may count against him in the seniors but he is worth retaining as a developing player.
Wasn't very impressed with any of our listed players but Bruce kicked a few from limited opportunities and being double-teamed. He won't be in the VFL for long. Hunter was his frustrating usual self: got plenty of the ball but few disposals counted for much. His promotion is probably only a week away because his two-way running is missed in the seniors.
Agree on Jones. To me he seems to attack the ground ball way too hard. Every once in a while it sticks and he looks super silky but mostly he overruns the ball or fumbles. The gap between his highlights and actual performances is pretty big as a result.

He’s obviously still very young but being able to pick up the ball cleanly is pretty fundamental and isn’t going to be any easier at AFL game pace.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Meh whatever. Footscray’s season is shot from a team perspective at this point.

Looking at individual players, Bruce, Hunter, Darcy & Bedendo are the ones who offer something a little different and could improve our senior team and all look to have put in positive performances.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure what everyone is expecting, but the stats for Darcy are pretty misleading.

While he got plenty of ball, it was mostly being used in a switch being the receiver for uncontested marks. He does use it well generally, but I want to see him win it in a contest, or at least spoil an opponent.

He seemed to get beaten every time he was left one out. He also needs to seriously work on his speed as he is easily left behind by every opponent.

While I think he will come good, he would be a seriously liability in the ones at this point.

I tend to agree with this, I don't think he's close to AFL ready yet. If we are out finals contention later on in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a game though. Beveridge did the same with English and hilariously played him on the wing.

A sight for sore eyes

288680082_10159821004857487_337094135754395517_n.jpg

287379549_10159821004942487_1848225763931549507_n.jpg

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Darcy is a dual ruck/forward option for me long term.

If he is to play defence he would need to master positioning and have seasons in the gym to play body to body so he can restrict seperation. I don't think he is quick enough and he won't be getting much quicker when he puts on more size.

Fits perfectly as the ruck/forward option with great marking ability and skills. Perfect partner for English when he's ready in my view.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty forgettable game last night.

Good to see Bruce back, some real glimpses of what he offers the senior side but understandably looks like he probably needs a solid block of games to find fitness and touch.

Darcy is tracking alright has shown some good signs, is no where near a debut though body is not even close to AFL ready.

Good to see Hunter back and Garcia thought both did alright.

Really liked Bedendo‘s first half.

The rest had bad nights or showed exactly what we know we get from them.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
I’d rather Hunter than McComb. Wouldn’t you?

However knowing how MC works it’ll probably be Schache or Ugle-Hagen out for Hunter. 🙄

Most definitely prefer Hunter but Bev seems to have a fascination with McComb types. I don’t see it with McComb and others

Agree with you regarding MC also.
Would love to see Bendendo get a run and JUH play rest season out in seniors.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

If he is to play defence he would need to master positioning and have seasons in the gym to play body to body so he can restrict seperation. I don't think he is quick enough and he won't be getting much quicker when he puts on more size.

Fits perfectly as the ruck/forward option with great marking ability and skills. Perfect partner for English when he's ready in my view.
He reads the play so well back there though that speed doesn’t seem to hamper him. Just needs to bulk up for the one on ones of course but it would be pretty handy having someone with his aerial ability down there for once - sometimes guys take a while to show their contested marking ability after the step up from juniors but watching him take the ball at top height is super exciting, it’s very King like in that he judges it so well and takes it at the absolute highest point and when you’re 207cm that’s bloody hard to stop, I can see him being one of the best contested marks in the league at some point and it would be nice having 3 elite marks in all parts of the ground (Naughty, English, Darcy)

Long term I think English/Darcy splitting genuine ruck/forward/back so behind the ball when needed or ahead of the ball when needed. With Naughty & Jamarra forward and 2 key defenders back (top draft pick needs to be a defender). That would be a pretty crazy set up tbh - Bev would absolutely love that too

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Garcia was our best player. He was one of our very few that was very good defensively and was great inside the contest. I just wish he had better kicking skills. Hope his knees hold up, he does miss a lot of footy so there is upside in his game.

Bendendo was also very good. He looks very quick out there and his overhead marking is a feature as well as his clean hands below the deck. As I mentioned earlier, his disposal has let him down a bit over the past couple weeks. I think this is a lot more to do with decision making rather then skill though. I think he just needs to lower his eyes a bit more. Maybe fatigue is playing a big part too as he seems to be getting to a lot more contests.

My take on last nights events. The midfield was pretty much wiped off the park by Carltons much better credentialed outfit. This resulted in some of the most diabolically bad forward entries I have ever seen.

Bruce: kicked his goals early when we had a semblance of midfield control. Understandably looked really tentative with ground balls early but seemed to grow in confidence as the game wore on throwing himself around looking to make the shambolic forward movement into something..anything. In the end it was all to no avail. Other than to build his fitness there is no point at all playing him at this level.

Bedendo: Although not dominant by any means to me he looks like a player who will benefit form the step up in class. Nice skills and could easily slot into one of the positions held by 2 or 3 senior players. Shifting him away from the graveyard position of FP/HFF to the wing has been a very good move. I suspect that he will debut in the next week or so. Although they aren't at all alike I think that'll certainly before Bailey Smith returns.

Darcy: Looked ok playing in a position that he isnt suited to. He didnt really seem to have a natural opponent as most of Carltons forwards seems to be your mobile tweener size. Clearly reads the play pretty well can mark the ball and is neat off both sides of his body. I doubt we'll see him play seniors this year. At this stage he looks very much in the Tim English mould. Im ok with that.

Carcia: Scrappy sort of game from a guy that likes to be involved and gets by more on perseverance than skill. Im not sure that he has enough to take it to the higher level.

Crozier: Single handedly kept us in the game cutting off Carltons attacks with his usual reading of the play and marking until smothered by an avalanche of Carlton forward entries after half time. He is in the unfortunate position of being too good for this level, but behind better players in a position we have an abundance of. If I was him I'd be looking for a trade.

Arthur Jones: Guys! please upsell me on Arthur. He took a couple of courageous marks, but other than that I just dont see it. He just doesn't get near it and when he does looks to have pretty poor skills by hand and foot. He also isnt really much of a threat as a pressure forward either, its the one aspect of the game where slight guys can make their mark early in their careers. A Long shot project player who is as close to player seniors as anybody here.

Hunter: Clearly short of touch leading to the quintessential Hunter game when he is at his absolute worst. God awful disposal, slipping over a lot when flailingly changing direction and an inability to lay a tackle. Like Bedendo and Bruce though, he will benefit from playing at the higher level. Still I'd probably give him another week or two to find his touch before bringing him into the ones.

Wallis: This game exemplified what's been clear for years that its life as a small forward or bust for the rest of his career. He looked to be playing predominantly in the mid-field and just looked like an ineffective and slow plodder. He has zero influence in the area of the ground where his experience should've counted for something. That aspect of the game has passed hime by.

Cordy: Typical Cordy game. Not great, not bad just meh. Steady without any real ability to have an impact on a game. Having said that he's one injury away from doing the same in the ones.

Butler: Docent seem like an upgrade on Hayes and he was moved on. Looks at long odds to make it.

Sweet: Ive said it once. Ive said it over 500 posts. This is his level. Get used to that fact.

Smith: See above.

Raak: Solid citizen type. Courageous in the air but too much of a tweener to take it to the next level. At this stage.

Last edited:
My take on last nights events. The midfield was pretty much wiped off the park by Carltons much better credentialed outfit. This resulted in some of the most diabolically bad forward entries I have ever seen.

Bruce: kicked his goals early when we had a semblance of midfield control. Understandably looked really tentative with ground balls early but seemed to grow in confidence as the game wore on throwing himself around looking to make the shambolic forward movement into something..anything. In the end it was all to no avail. Other than to build his fitness there is no point at all playing him at this level.

Bedendo: Although not dominant by any means to me he looks like a player who will benefit form the step up in class. Nice skills and could easily slot into one of the positions held by 2 or 3 senior players. Shifting him away from the graveyard position of FP/HFF to the wing has been a very good move. I suspect that he will debut in the next week or so. Although they aren't at all alike I think that'll certainly before Bailey Smith returns.

Darcy: Looked ok playing in a position that he isnt suited to. He didnt really seem to have a natural opponent as most of Carltons forwards seems to be your mobile tweener size. Clearly reads the play pretty well can mark the ball and is neat off both sides of his body. I doubt we'll see him play seniors this year. At this stage he looks very much in the Tim English mould. Im ok with that.

Carcia: Scrappy sort of game from a guy that likes to be involved and gets by more on perseverance than skill. Im not sure that he has enough to take it to the higher level.

Crozier: Single handedly kept us in the game cutting off Carltons attacks with his usual reading of the play and marking until smothered by an avalanche of Carlton forward entries after half time. He is in the unfortunate position of being too good for this level, but behind better players in a position we have an abundance of. If I was him I'd be looking for a trade.

Arthur Jones: Guys! please upsell me on Arthur. He took a couple of courageous marks, but other than that I just dont see it. He just doesn't get near it and when he does looks to have pretty poor skills by hand and foot. He also isnt really much of a threat as a pressure forward either, its the one aspect of the game where slight guys can make their mark early in their careers. A Long shot project player who is as close to player seniors as anybody here.

Hunter: Clearly short of touch leading to the quintessential Hunter game when he is at his absolute worst. God awful disposal, slipping over a lot when flailingly changing direction and an inability to lay a tackle. Like Bedendo and Bruce though, he will benefit from playing at the higher level. Still I'd probably give him another week or two to find his touch before bringing him into the ones.

Wallis: This game exemplified what's been clear for years that its life as a small forward or bust for the rest of his career. He looked to be playing predominantly in the mid-field and just looked like an ineffective and slow plodder. He has zero influence in the area of the ground where his experience should've counted for something. That aspect of the game has passed hime by.

Cordy: Typical Cordy game. Not great, not bad just meh. Steady without any real ability to have an impact on a game. Having said that he's one injury away from doing the same in the ones.

Butler: Docent seem like an upgrade on Hayes and he was moved on. Looks at long odds to make it.

Sweet: Ive said it once. Ive said it over 500 posts. This is his level. Get used to that fact.

Smith: See above.

Raak: Solid citizen type. Courageous in the air but too much of a tweener to take it to the next level. At this stage.
So sad for us if your analysis on Sweet is correct
. At some stage the realisation will hit our on field management that a decent no. 2 ruckman is a requirement when other premiership contenders have 2 genuine rucks.
Darcy I am hoping is the next gen tall defender needed now to longer term.
Finally the second rucks are out there.
Port have a first game giant leading their ruck division today

Cheers
Stephen.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

only seen limited vision of Darcy , but don’t think he is any chance becoming a defender at AFL level.
He will end up Ruck / Forward to my eye , take a year or two just like his dad.

Back