VFL Footscray vs GCS Sat 21st @ WO 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a loss but we were in it right till the end and kept getting ourselves in the games. Not bad for a team with very few genuine AFL level players. GC had 20! AFL listed. Not all AFL standard but they had AFL players everywhere.

What I took from the game:

- Raak is a fighter - he is so small but attacks the contest - he will put on muscle and be a good player.

- Bedendo has all the ability and does half a dozen great things - smart decisions and good decisions and you think wow and then he goes absent for ages. Wing is a great move. He can use his strengths and do real damage - 2 mark of the year attempts - just needs to go 80% and will hang on to them soon.

- Jones is a special - not only does he have zip and manages to find space that avoids him getting killed but he is courageous - at least twice he blindly ran back into defence to spoil the ball with no fear.

- Parker had his best game - has a booming kick often kicking out and landing at half way and has good agility and athletic traits. Someone said he had a bit of Shannon Hurn about him - I see that. I bit more time in the gym and he will be a hard player.

- Schache is being developed to improve his Ruck craft - he was comfortably beaten by the kid playing for GC. I see why - this is the role that will get him in the side but we keep messing him about - the requirement is obvious - he has to use his size and be the man. Ruck can work for this as can defence. His development looks like it has stalled but his talent keeps him just there. Keep him in ruck forward for at least four more weeks and see whether he can find his style - which has to be more of a running ruck who can pick up a couple of goals - 20 possession and 6+ marks.

- Jamarra is working hard - played on the wing a few times and clearly they are trying to get him into the game. He has such talent that he got off the leash for a period and kicked a couple and missed a couple. Could easily had five playing just OK. He attacks the contest when it is in front of him and is one the way - was a much better game than last week. He is coming.

- Crozier was one of our best but also had two absolute howlers - one was definitely him but the other the receiver just sat there and would have made it if had been awake. Still believe he is better than Cleary at this stage - but have been so impressed by Cleary that am starting to understand why he is keeping him out. I wonder if there is something we don’t know - did he look a bit slower than normal or what that just me.

- Butler is injured.

- so many father sons and cousins that could end up very good VFL players and few might do a Boyd/Morris/Picken and make it. Macpherson, Kellet and Gilbee. Super Jnr is the best and is getting better each week. So hard at it - skills are not quite there but makes an impact.

- CCP is a nugget and does some good things - could be a surprise packet.

Forgot Darcy - he looks a long way off it but is showing a couple of traits that are interesting - he marks at the highest point and when he has a run at it he jumps way above everyone else. Kinda looks funny how much taller he looks when he does that. Commentary kept getting him mixed up with Raak. But issue is speed - he looks well behind ATM but needs time to have the confidence to just go. Good progress but will need a lot more time and is entitled to it. Will be a star if he is looked after.

Jamie Maddocks with the weekly review:

good to see some positive words for Marra and Bedendo looks like he's coming on quite nicely, I'd say we are due for his debut soonish. Go dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back