2nds Footscray vs North Melbourne 3.20 sat @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the updates Wizard
Yes nice work spewing I missed a chance to see another Dogs win this year but am heading in now - hopefully will bring them good luck as the only one I've been to so far was our triumph over Essendope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-23/vfl-report-dogs-win-three-on-the-trot

The Footscray Bulldogs have continued on their winning ways, securing a 41-point victory over North Melbourne off the back of four goals from Nathan Mullenger-McHugh, on Saturday afternoon at Etihad Stadium.

In a see-sawing contest, the ‘Scray held a narrow lead at each break, before a powerful third quarter performance saw a favourable momentum change for the Dogs.

Midfielder Lin Jong (24 disposals, one goal) put forward his case for a senior recall, while Will Hayes (33 disposals, one goal, 11 tackles) again dominated the midfield, racking up 20 touches in an especially busy first half.

Developing forwards Fergus Greene (23 disposals, two goals) and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (four goals, four tackles) were pivotal up forward, booting six goals between them, while Kieran Collins (16 disposals, four marks) performed well in defence in his second game back.

Defender Lewis Young (17 disposals, seven marks) held down the backline alongside Shane Biggs (23 disposals, five marks), restricting North Melbourne to one goal in the third term.

Jordan Roughead split time up forward with Tom Campbell, with both big men hitting the scoreboard, kicking one each, to go along with 20 and 15 disposals respectively.

Footscray head to Ikon Park next Saturday to take on the Northern Blues at 10am.

Footscray: 4.1 7.6 10.10 14.17 (101)

North Melbourne: 4.3 7.5 8.5 9.6 (60)

Best: Mullenger-McHugh, Hayes, Greene, Porter, Prudden, Collins

Goals: Mullenger-McHugh 4, Greene, Monfries 2, Hayes, Jong, Roughead, Campbell, Prudden, Dalgleish 1

Disposals: Hayes 33, Jong 24, Biggs 23, Greene 23, Tashevski-Beckwith 22

Much better performance compared to last week and a pretty even contribution from all players.

From best to worst

Greene - Continues to get better and better. Kicked 2 goals and missed 3 other opportunities. Got more involved in general play and found a bit of space at times leading up to the ball. Made a couple nice passes going inside 50 too. Deserves an opportunity.

Mullenger-McHugh - His best game to date. Had a bit of presence about him and marked really well. Kicked accurately too. I've been critical of his consistency in the past, that was better. It did help that two of Norths tall defenders went off injured and that meant he could run and jump at the ball more though

Roughead - Good game. Lost the ruck contests but I thought he easily had the better of Preuss around the ground. Dropped back as the loose man in defence at times and was good up forward. Missed a very easy shot on goal, nailed one as well. Looked more like the Roughead of old.

Jong - Solid game. Still not impacting the game at this level like he has in the past. Looks down on confidence and perhaps not as fit?

Collins - Much better signs. Appeared to be moving better this week and did very little wrong. Took a great contested mark in a pack situation and made some nice spoils. His opponent for a fair bit of the afternoon was the leading goal kicker in the VFL and he held him pretty well.

Biggs - Is making a habit of starting off poorly, made a few poor turnovers early, but he was good after that. Gave plenty of drive, got a lot of it and used the ball well.

Lynch - Like NMM, this was his best game for the year. His effort overall was much better, got in better position to receive the ball and tried to take on the risky options which he needs to do. It mostly worked for him and worked very well at times. A few times it didn't, but he needs to continue to be brave and show that kind of intent if he's to have any hope

Porter - Solid. Much the same as I've said in the past. Very good in the contest and showed that when he went head to head against high draft picks in Luke Davies-Uniacke/Willie Walker, where he was able to match it with them. It's still that outside game part of his game that needs work, but his kicking was perhaps a bit better this week and he did get involved a bit more offensively compared to last week.

Young - Better this week. Had a bit more confidence going for his marks rather then spoiling and looked less shaky with ball in hand. Played more in that 3rd tall role where he is better suited

Campbell - Ok. Competed better in the ruck contests then Roughead. Didn't do a lot around the ground apart from a good contested mark and goal

Roberts - Played a lot in defence this week, defended ok. Didn't do much of note.

William was solid, got a fair bit of it. I don't think he impacted the game as much as he has in other games though.

Hayes was the best player on the ground IMO.

Last edited:
Much better performance compared to last week and a pretty even contribution from all players.

From best to worst

Greene - Continues to get better and better. Kicked 2 goals and missed 3 other opportunities. Got more involved in general play and found a bit of space at times leading up to the ball. Made a couple nice passes going inside 50 too. Deserves an opportunity.

Mullenger-McHugh - His best game to date. Had a bit of presence about him and marked really well. Kicked accurately too. I've been critical of his consistency in the past, that was better. It did help that two of Norths tall defenders went off injured and that meant he could run and jump at the ball more though

Roughead - Good game. Lost the ruck contests but I thought he easily had the better of Preuss around the ground. Dropped back as the loose man in defence at times and was good up forward. Missed a very easy shot on goal, nailed one as well. Looked more like the Roughead of old.

Jong - Solid game. Still not impacting the game at this level like he has in the past. Looks down on confidence and perhaps not as fit?

Collins - Much better signs. Appeared to be moving better this week and did very little wrong. Took a great contested mark in a pack situation and made some nice spoils. His opponent for a fair bit of the afternoon was the leading goal kicker in the VFL and he held him pretty well.

Biggs - Is making a habit of starting off poorly, made a few poor turnovers early, but he was good after that. Gave plenty of drive, got a lot of it and used the ball well.

Lynch - Like NMM, this was his best game for the year. His effort overall was much better, got in better position to receive the ball and tried to take on the risky options which he needs to do. It mostly worked for him and worked very well at times. A few times it didn't, but he needs to continue to be brave and show that kind of intent if he's to have any hope

Porter - Solid. Much the same as I've said in the past. Very good in the contest and showed that when he went head to head against high draft picks in Luke Davies-Uniacke/Willie Walker, where he was able to match it with them. It's still that outside game part of his game that needs work, but his kicking was perhaps a bit better this week and he did get involved a bit more offensively compared to last week.

Young - Better this week. Had a bit more confidence going for his marks rather then spoiling and looked less shaky with ball in hand. Played more in that 3rd tall role where he is better suited

Campbell - Ok. Competed better in the ruck contests then Roughead. Didn't do a lot around the ground apart from a good contested mark and goal

Roberts - Played a lot in defence this week, defended ok. Didn't do much of note.

William was solid, got a fair bit of it. I don't think he impacted the game as much as he has in other games though.

Hayes was the best player on the ground IMO.

Is Hayes likely to be another Hannan and Long - i.e we loose them to the draft after putting in all the hard work? I think the AFL should allow VFL top-up players to be rookie listed (or main draft listed) as per F/S bidding system.

Fergus Greene Two goals, ten marks, 21 disposals
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh Four goals, eight marks, two tackles
Lin Jong 23 disposals, three tackles, three inside-50s
Lewis Young 19 disposals, eight marks, three tackles
Tom Campbell 19 hitouts, five tackles, 14 disposals
Jordan Roughead 25 hitouts, 20 disposals, one goal
Kieran Collins 16 disposals, five marks, 4 inside-50s
Cal Porter 16 disposals, three tackles, two inside-50s
Brad Lynch 19 disposals, six marks, two inside-50s
Fletcher Roberts 12 disposals, two inside-50s

Will Hayes (33 disposals, 11 tackles, one goal) and Andrew Tashevski-Beckwith (22 disposals, seven tackels) were the best performed VFL- listed players.

hLPphdT.png

Km9E5pO.png

The level of expectation I have placed on the ample shoulders of big Tom
Campbell has clearly taken it's toll the last two weeks. I apologise big
fella if my quest for selection justice has impacted your form at all.
Maybe you should change your name to big Tom Colons because the
Colons seem to be the new flavour of the month.

FreeBTC and FreeTheColons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back