2nds Footscray vs North Melbourne 3.20 sat @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Hayes likely to be another Hannan and Long - i.e we loose them to the draft after putting in all the hard work? I think the AFL should allow VFL top-up players to be rookie listed (or main draft listed) as per F/S bidding system.
Look, I like the idea quite a lot, but at the same time not all clubs have aligned second teams. Similarly, the VFL is definitely stronger than the seconds comps in NSW and Queensland etc so it would unfairly advantage a few teams and thus would never happen. I like the idea but can't see it flying. We got Gowers for nothing though, so at least it pays off sometimes!

Look, I like the idea quite a lot, but at the same time not all clubs have aligned second teams. Similarly, the VFL is definitely stronger than the seconds comps in NSW and Queensland etc so it would unfairly advantage a few teams and thus would never happen. I like the idea but can't see it flying. We got Gowers for nothing though, so at least it pays off sometimes!
Gowers is good... but imagine getting your VFL aligned club to pay half of a player's rookie salary, then having that player win a club award for the player of the finals series during a Grand Final year as they finish with nigh on 200 games as one of the most loved players in club history.

Liam Picken's rookie story is going to take a lot of beating.

Gowers is good... but imagine getting your VFL aligned club to pay half of a player's rookie salary, then having that player win a club award for the player of the finals series during a Grand Final year as they finish with nigh on 200 games as one of the most loved players in club history.

Where is the love button?

Much better performance compared to last week and a pretty even contribution from all players.

From best to worst

Greene - Continues to get better and better. Kicked 2 goals and missed 3 other opportunities. Got more involved in general play and found a bit of space at times leading up to the ball. Made a couple nice passes going inside 50 too. Deserves an opportunity.

Mullenger-McHugh - His best game to date. Had a bit of presence about him and marked really well. Kicked accurately too. I've been critical of his consistency in the past, that was better. It did help that two of Norths tall defenders went off injured and that meant he could run and jump at the ball more though

Roughead - Good game. Lost the ruck contests but I thought he easily had the better of Preuss around the ground. Dropped back as the loose man in defence at times and was good up forward. Missed a very easy shot on goal, nailed one as well. Looked more like the Roughead of old.

Jong - Solid game. Still not impacting the game at this level like he has in the past. Looks down on confidence and perhaps not as fit?

Collins - Much better signs. Appeared to be moving better this week and did very little wrong. Took a great contested mark in a pack situation and made some nice spoils. His opponent for a fair bit of the afternoon was the leading goal kicker in the VFL and he held him pretty well.

Biggs - Is making a habit of starting off poorly, made a few poor turnovers early, but he was good after that. Gave plenty of drive, got a lot of it and used the ball well.

Lynch - Like NMM, this was his best game for the year. His effort overall was much better, got in better position to receive the ball and tried to take on the risky options which he needs to do. It mostly worked for him and worked very well at times. A few times it didn't, but he needs to continue to be brave and show that kind of intent if he's to have any hope

Porter - Solid. Much the same as I've said in the past. Very good in the contest and showed that when he went head to head against high draft picks in Luke Davies-Uniacke/Willie Walker, where he was able to match it with them. It's still that outside game part of his game that needs work, but his kicking was perhaps a bit better this week and he did get involved a bit more offensively compared to last week.

Young - Better this week. Had a bit more confidence going for his marks rather then spoiling and looked less shaky with ball in hand. Played more in that 3rd tall role where he is better suited

Campbell - Ok. Competed better in the ruck contests then Roughead. Didn't do a lot around the ground apart from a good contested mark and goal

Roberts - Played a lot in defence this week, defended ok. Didn't do much of note.

William was solid, got a fair bit of it. I don't think he impacted the game as much as he has in other games though.

Hayes was the best player on the ground IMO.
Hope Lynch can get a decent run going.

Very true. Was SamMitchell a rookie?

Very true. Was SamMitchell a rookie?
Pick 36 in the 2001 draft, but from memory he was overlooked at the draft and played for Box Hill as a 19-20 year old before getting drafted by the Hawks.

POY - you could add 'kicked the sealer in the GF'. That one moment of Picko launching it into the 3rd deck to sink the swans - I'll carry with me to the grave! Legend!

Can see where you are coming from TC - could teams who have alignments with VFL clubs, include the VFL clubs players as their top-ups?

Given all interstate clubs have alignments or 2nd teams (agree playing in inferior comps), could the same still apply. Given it is a national comp, what would prevent the suns for instance from helping an un-drafted player, they had interest in, relocate, find a job, be a top up player, with the promise of a possible rookie listing? If I was 18 I'd jump at that!

Personally I think the arguments for outweigh the inequalities. AFL clubs helping develop 2nd tier talent (not on lists) surely is a plus for the game. Having the added incentive of being able to rookie or main list these players via a bidding system, would only encourage player development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back