2nds Footscray vs Tigers Sat 7pm @WO

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys should have enough insight into how the club does these things to understand that the VFL ‘bests’ have always been the head scratching equivalent of junior footballs encourement awards and for mine they carry about as much weight. You'll always get a better insight into the bests by paying attention to some of the posters here who actually attend the matches. I often wonder if its something that whomever compiles these bests lists does.

If that is the case then he and Jong need to be stood up to one another.

Webb against Jong
Big body = Check
Marking = Check
Pace = Fail
field Kicking = Flemington straight length check
Hand Ball = Check
Find the Ball = mucho checko
Durability = Check

Didn't Webb have some inside time a couple years back and string some good senior games together. Or am i thinking of Tutt?
Sorry I'd have to disagree with your assessment. Jong has Webb covered in Big Body, Marking, Pace and Finding the Ball. Don't think there's enough to say for Durability. Ball skills are where Webb has the obvious advantage.

At VFL level he has more time and space and is not totally just an inside player so can find the ball a little easier, when he steps up to the next level the pressure applied makes it more difficult and that’s when he needs to get more physical and he just gets lost. I like the kid and maybe as you say needs an extended run at it to build confidence?
I still think his best spot is across half back and get Williams playing more mid field....
To me, Webb lacks urgency and physicality when he plays seniors. Perhaps this contributes to him appearing slower at the higher level. In his 4th year now and his best was probably his 1st. I think the match committee doesn't really believe in him any more. Hopefully, we may see him again for one more opportunity before he is traded irrespective of his contract.

You guys should have enough insight into how the club does these things to understand that the VFL ‘bests’ have always been the head scratching equivalent of junior footballs encourement awards and for mine they carry about as much weight. You'll always get a better insight into the bests by paying attention to some of the posters here who actually attend the matches. I often wonder if its something that whomever compiles these bests lists does.
The vfl best list always strikes me as somewhat of a PR exercise. A justification for someone the club plans on bringing in the following week. It often bares no resemblance to those who watched the game.

It really interests me how Webb can dominate VFL and get high 20s disposals practically every game yet struggles to translate that to seniors. I still think he needs to be playing the same role at both levels to help his development.
Tricky isn't it? Often these sorts of players leave a club for another and can turn into good players. That said, for every player refreshed by a change, there will always be the Jason Tutt's and Sam Darley's.

Tricky isn't it? Often these sorts of players leave a club for another and can turn into good players. That said, for every player refreshed by a change, there will always be the Jason Tutt's and Sam Darley's.
Yep, I think given where our list is at, he is one we could probably let go. Would he get us a second or third rounder though is the thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back