VFL Footscray vs Werribee @ Avalon Oval Sat 2:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL really needs to increase the list size and play a genuine nationals reserves, with everyone in the 2s a full time professional footballer.

It’s bullshit having talented kids having to play this standard of footy when the gulf is so big - it would 100% increase the overall talent pool of players having more professional, a higher level of reserves etc

We absolutely need it especially with talk of expansion
I’d like a rehaul of the rookie system, mixing the old format with the NFL practice squad style:
  • Each club allowed up to 10 rookies
  • Unavailable for senior selection unless temporarily elevated due to long term injuries, retirements etc. Can promote rookies from any club if player agrees and returns to original host club at the end of season
  • Host club given preference to sign them to the seniors at end of season
  • Other clubs can sign them if host club doesn’t offer senior spot
Would improve the quality of the lower leagues, create more pathways and offer more opportunities. The current rookie system is almost pointless

Working harder this quarter, Darcy had an unfortunate moment where he looked like he backed out of a contest although that's just because it was a cruel bounce.

I’d like a rehaul of the rookie system, mixing the old format with the NFL practice squad style:
  • Each club allowed up to 10 rookies
  • Unavailable for senior selection unless temporarily elevated due to long term injuries, retirements etc. Can promote rookies from any club if player agrees and returns to original host club at the end of season
  • Host club given preference to sign them to the seniors at end of season
  • Other clubs can sign them if host club doesn’t offer senior spot
Would improve the quality of the lower leagues, create more pathways and offer more opportunities. The current rookie system is almost pointless
It’s an interesting idea and I think it’d be awesome as a fan but it just won’t happen in the AFL - no way clubs would pass on IP/tactics to a player on a different list. You’d need to train/play with that clubs players too to learn their game etc, just wouldn’t work IMO.

But rookie list definitely needs to be overhauled

Cleary looks a class above. You can see why he debuted this year even though he's still a skinny kid.
Joel Garner would be a handy BP rookie, especially if Duryea doesn't get another contract. Has shown a bit this year.

We started pretty poorly against Williamstown IIRC and ended up running over the top after halftime, here's hoping that this is a repeat.

Cleary looks a class above. You can see why he debuted this year even though he's still a skinny kid.
Joel Garner would be a handy BP rookie, especially if Duryea doesn't get another contract. Has shown a bit this year.
Yeah he’s the only Footscray player I’d consider - he looks to have something about him

It’s an interesting idea and I think it’d be awesome as a fan but it just won’t happen in the AFL - no way clubs would pass on IP/tactics to a player on a different list. You’d need to train/play with that clubs players too to learn their game etc, just wouldn’t work IMO.

But rookie list definitely needs to be overhauled
Surely passing on tactics would be even more of an issue the the NFL given that the entire game is set-pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liking Raak a lot more forward - didn’t think he had too much about him tbh but liking his aggressive attack on the ball. Best option going forward may be as a defensive focused medium forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back