Footy as a spectacle in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now let me start by saying I love this game, nearly everyone I know loves this game and my passion and investment in this game means I will probably always believe that it is the most special sport in the world.

Still. Has it ever been worse? Now I know i'm a Lions supporter and obviously they haven't given me much to cheer about recently, but i'm a huge fan of this game in general and i'll usually find myself watching 4 or 5 games every round as a neutral supporter. The AFL is always changing the game to try and best adapt and make the game more enoyable to spectators but I think it is obvious that the game is going in the opposite direction. The coaching generally all across the league is negative and defensive and its resulting in games that are following the same script over and over. We are watching territory battles where teams are often spending 2-3 quarters of a game of footy stuck in a stagnant, endless transition, where they don't even generate enthralling passages of play let alone kick goals.

Aside from what was a great game between Geelong and Hawthorn in round 2, it's almost impossible to see how we'd get two teams kicking 100+ points in the same game at present. How many games need to be 5 goals to 8 at three quarter time until that the media will open their eyes on how atrocious this sport is to watch at the minute. The overall quality of the game is down at the moment; the skills are not of professional standard, we get one, maybe two exciting bits of play per game and we are getting rugby scores.

How many passages of play this year have took your breath away? How many games have been so intense and of such quality that they have literally had you on the edge of their seat?

Let's be honest, footy in 2018...it kinda sucks.

Hi Ralphy

Just heard sant nicks cure, Lower interchanges and fatigue will produce blow outs and high scoring

FMD the dog is just chasing its tail

Now let me start by saying I love this game, nearly everyone I know loves this game and my passion and investment in this game means I will probably always believe that it is the most special sport in the world.

Still. Has it ever been worse? Now I know i'm a Lions supporter and obviously they haven't given me much to cheer about recently, but i'm a huge fan of this game in general and i'll usually find myself watching 4 or 5 games every round as a neutral supporter. The AFL is always changing the game to try and best adapt and make the game more enoyable to spectators but I think it is obvious that the game is going in the opposite direction. The coaching generally all across the league is negative and defensive and its resulting in games that are following the same script over and over. We are watching territory battles where teams are often spending 2-3 quarters of a game of footy stuck in a stagnant, endless transition, where they don't even generate enthralling passages of play let alone kick goals.

Aside from what was a great game between Geelong and Hawthorn in round 2, it's almost impossible to see how we'd get two teams kicking 100+ points in the same game at present. How many games need to be 5 goals to 8 at three quarter time until that the media will open their eyes on how atrocious this sport is to watch at the minute. The overall quality of the game is down at the moment; the skills are not of professional standard, we get one, maybe two exciting bits of play per game and we are getting rugby scores.

How many passages of play this year have took your breath away? How many games have been so intense and of such quality that they have literally had you on the edge of their seat?

Holy s**t I wasn't supposed to post this until 8pm. Better up the dosage.

It's been on the nose for a decade.

It's a confused sport.

The results still matter though - which is what has kept it from extinction. The game itself though as an entertainment product, is pretty much putrid.

I blame the coaches for hijacking the game, and the AFL for allowing and facilitating it.

I said this last week and another campaigner said it on the weekend. It's sad but true. I love the game of footy but the way it's being played is atrocious.

Sydney 2005-06 look like ******* Barcelona compared to these campaigners.

Aside from what was a great game between Geelong and Hawthorn in round 2, it's almost impossible to see how we'd get two teams kicking 100+ points in the same game at present. .
Round 1 -
125 to 95.
99 to 87.
94 to 97.
86 to 115.

Round 2 -
118 to 82
106 to 90
117 to 118

Round 3 -
97 to 92
123 to 86
103 to 87
102 to 89
95 to 80
104 to 83

Round 4 -
106 to 84

Round 5 -
98 to 70 the closest.

Last to rounds have been poorer. But there have been a lot of high scoring games from both teams to start the year. Looking at those scores it seems that a bit of straighter kicking and you could have a bunch of games over 100 each.

Even with those scores as they are, I dont think anyone can be unhappy with 25-30 goals a game spread evenly between both teams.

Round 1 -
125 to 95.
99 to 87.
94 to 97.
86 to 115.

Round 2 -
118 to 82
106 to 90
117 to 118

Round 3 -
97 to 92
123 to 86
103 to 87
102 to 89
95 to 80
104 to 83

Round 4 -
106 to 84

Round 5 -
98 to 70 the closest.

Last to rounds have been poorer. But there have been a lot of high scoring games from both teams to start the year. Looking at those scores it seems that a bit of straighter kicking and you could have a bunch of games over 100 each.

Even with those scores as they are, I dont think anyone can be unhappy with 25-30 goals a game spread evenly between both teams.

Some good research there for sure mate. That's still only 14 out of 45 games though. Even a few of those were only like that due to goals being scored in junk time at the end of the game. Having said that though, my argument isn't even entirely based around scores. Games are generally boring and they don't seem to flow or contain much that I think would really excite footy fans. It often seems like 10-15 minutes are passing by in games where literally nothing happens. I've also seen several games this year where a team has become completely incapable of attacking for 2 or 3 quarters.

Game is confused whether it wants high scoring, blowouts, close games or any combination of the three

Note that in the era everyone is recalling , glassy eyed and love struck, they didn’t give a s**t for that stuff they just played the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 -
125 to 95.
99 to 87.
94 to 97.
86 to 115.

Round 2 -
118 to 82
106 to 90
117 to 118

Round 3 -
97 to 92
123 to 86
103 to 87
102 to 89
95 to 80
104 to 83

Round 4 -
106 to 84

Round 5 -
98 to 70 the closest.

Round 5
Freo 108 - 54 Western Bulldogs

The contest is fierce. That makes up for the scoring shortfall in a way.

The only thing I don’t like about the game at the moment is the fact that more than ever, at least it feels like it, two teams can be playing a relatively even match and then in the space of 15 minutes the contest is over. Last night for example.

I love the game and I've never previously complained about the way it has evolved. But certain things are starting to piss me off watching it this year.

Seems like so many goals now are the result of free kicks, either because a defender gets a holding the ball against them because of how clogged with players the forward line is, or a forward gets an incredibly soft chopping the arms decision when they were not going to mark the ball anyway and the defender just brushes against their arms. These are both really unsatisfying ways to watch teams score.

Goals by a pinpoint pass to a leading forward only seems now to happen on the quick rebound usually because of turnover going the other way. Pack mark in the forward line are now so rare because there is a dearth of power forwards and in any event they are usually outnumbered 2 to 1 in pack situations.

I get that forward pressure is good and it won the Tigers a premiership but its detracting from the spectacle of the game at the moment.

Saw my first live game in long time and I don't get the tactics. I may be naive and get ridiculed, but why don't they kick it long to one on ones right away? Back your quality forwards like Curnow. What are they waiting for? More players from the opposition are gonna run back anyway. I saw even numbers in the forward line but they didn't back their players and kick it to them. It must be frustrating being a forward. There's probably some complex explanation about numbers and running patterns, structures, rebounds and fear of turnover etc, but to me it looks like the goals are on the other side and enough of your players are there calling for it so kick it to or near them before the congestion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back