Footy career of a BF poster

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually played sport when I was 5 and footy from 6 to 18. I’m not playing Dad’s Army footy reliving a lost youth.

You are what? 25?

Unless you are playing masters it’s hardly dad’s army. Maybe people just like playing the game?

Footy is most fun at like age 14.

No one comes entitled because they’ve played one WAFL reserves game, there’s no egos. It’s just fun footy with your mates.

At 18, 19 it becomes pretty painful. I always felt like I was putting on a persona and pretending to be someone I wasn’t at them. Constantly talking about the 6/10 trainer being ‘so hot’ gets kinda tired.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was like a poor man's Ryan Houlihan - really good kicking skills and vision but s**t scared of the contest or going near anywhere else.

Best performances were on the days when the back packet was even more scared of the ball than I was.

Good skills, good vision, good reading of the play, not fit or fast but a hardcore gut runner - loved a long lead, mostly because I was so slight it was my only way to get a touch. Knew where the play was going before anyone else.

Kick off both feet easy.

Hated footy clubs though, didn’t especially like training, and at my uni club I spent just about every training spewing up after trying to make okay times in laps and got winded badly just about three times a game. Played half-forward flank - needed to play mid. Didn’t get enough touches as I always played in s**t teams where the good players would go and play seniors and not colts.

Also an angry campaigner which ended badly for me a few times, also played my own game and hated dumb instructions from coaches.

Couldn’t tackle, dropped too many easy marks. Useless in a pack mark.

My greatest claim to flame is playing with about nine AFL footballers, most of which have played 100 games.

That and winning multiple pub handball competitions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back