Footy folklore you wish you could confirm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep definitely should be considered innocent.

I just have real, real problems with the stories told by alleged victims.

Really? I'm the opposite, think it's disgraceful these guys get away with it based on the fact there is no witnesses to verify the victims story and they can pay some hush money and a confidentiality agreement based on their stature in society as pro athletes.

Heard that a divine Geelong Full Forward got completely wrecked on cocaine, ecstacy and alcohol late one Friday night at a pub in Richmond. Bar staff were tipped well, and happy to stay past close and serve/entertain him and his friends; until it gets to the early morning (somewhere around 8am, allegedly). God refuses to leave, gets aggressive, and demands more drinks- which he's reluctantly served. Eventually the owner of the pub calls around a few Geelong blokes, and a manager (with a few teammates in tow) arrive to drag his ass out of the place.

A few hours later he kicks 9 at the 'G.

I think that one is true. My understanding is it was Ablett's bump that did the damage, but Dipper had enough adrenalin flowing - and genuine toughness - to play out the game. Once the adrenalin levels dropped he collapsed.

Re Dipper's ribs.

I have good reason to believe it wasn't the flow of adrenalin that kept DIpper going, it was about a quart of jungle juice in a horse sized syringe administered by Doc Fergie.

It'd be great to have Hawkeye or at least another angle on the Wayne Harmes OOB incident in the '79 GF.
Of course, conclusive knowledge would kind of ruin it too.

Syd Jackson told me he couldn't tell but it might have been just over the line.

However, when speaking to Collingwood supporters he becomes certain the ball was way out. Somewhere around the third row of the crowd, and stiff s**t suckers.

However, when speaking to Collingwood supporters he becomes certain the ball was way out. Somewhere around the third row of the crowd, and stiff s**t suckers.

And THIS is why supporters of every other team feel no sympathy for Carlton right now

Every collingwood supporter ive spoken to accepts the fact the ball was definitely "in".

second greatest. the best is the English bloke that told Mark Waugh 'at least he was the best cricketer in his family' after Mark told him he wasn't good enough to play for England
Great thread... some great yarns... on the topic of cricket sledges..

I’ve always wondered if the one the Aussies pulled on the South African player who’s sister was killed after being hit by a train was true..

Apparently in one series whenever this South African player came out to bat the Australian players in the slips would quietly chant “chugga chugger, chugga chugger, chugga chugger.. toot toot! as the Australian fast bowler ran in to bowl each delivery to him..

Pretty heavy sledge if true..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always wondered if the one the Aussies pulled on the South African player who’s sister was killed after being hit by a train was true..

Apparently in one series whenever this South African player came out to bat the Australian players in the slips would quietly chant “chugga chugger, chugga chugger, chugga chugger.. toot toot! as the Australian fast bowler ran in to bowl each delivery to him..

It was allegedly to Chris Cairns (NZ) and I think I read it was denied.

Even a lot of the good famous cricket ones are highly exaggerated or even just made up.

The best one I heard was the story about ronnie burns coming over from Geelong to play for the crows in the early 2000’s.. one of my mates was friends with a couple of the crows players at the time, bode and rutten if I recall correctly..

As the story goes Ronnie burns was coming over to play for Adelaide and there was a rumour floating around from his Geelong days that Ronnie was extremely well hung.. and that Ronnie actually heard that this rumour may have been floating around amongst his new team mates at adelaide..

Anyway, apparently after the first training session with Ronnie at the club, the lads were all in the changerooms and out strolls Ronnie from the showers into the middle of all the lads around the lockers... he proceeds to drop the towel he has around his waste and sure enough he’s got this huge third leg hanging there in front of them all and he calmly says

“The rumours are true lads... the rumours are true”..

Leaving all his new team mates utterly speechless...

And THIS is why supporters of every other team feel no sympathy for Carlton right now

Yeah, cause every other club is in absolute outrage at the thought that Collingwood was robbed of a premiership.

For a closer look at this phenomenon, examine the outpourings of grief when Brisbane, aided by generous draft picks, a higher salary cap, and the pickings of Fitzroy's carcass, denied Collingwood a further two flags.

Last edited:

C***s act , if true!
But with we being the current world cheats , nothing surprises me, we even give cheats a job in television

Richmond being 6 points down, Jack Dyer marking just before the siren and kicks the ball so hard it splits in two with the bladder going through the goals and the skin going through the points which lead to Richmond being rewarded 7 points and winning the game

Can a Catter confirm/deny this one I heard years ago? It almost sounds too good to be true......................

Early on in his career, Garry Hocking was working on the garbage truck round. Some kids saw him 'Wow! It's Garry Hocking! Want a kick?'. They did a bit of kick-to-kick in the street, Hocking stood on the gutter, rolled his ankle and missed a few games.

Its true. He took the job as a way to keep fit and would often have a quick kick with kids. Never stopped to have a kick mind, but he'd flick it back on his way to the next house.

When Don Scott ripped the Velcro off a Melbourne jumper, it was theatrical option B

He apparently had another stunt planned, but took advice not to do it in case the already toey crowd rioted.

I asked him once, he stonewalled me

I wish I could confirm the time a bloke (think his name was Fitzgibbon, played for Carlton) who was suspended for the 1945 GF actually jumping the fence to get involved in one of the many fights only to get suspended for another month. Or from the same game the South Melbourne player named Whitfield who tried to avoid getting reported by holding his jumper above his head so the umpire couldn't read his number.
Both true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back