Footy Gods

Remove this Banner Ad

Crow54

23 year veteran.
Oct 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would appear that the Footy Gods are smiling on Port Power and frowning on the Crows this year.

All the teams we needed to lose to help us (and my tipping) won, and the teams I wished to win to keep the Paps down, lost!!

When I watched the replay of the Crows game against the Eagles I was interested to watch the boys sing the Club song. Personally I thought they could have foregone singing it, but they managed to struggle through. When the camera got to D Gallagher he made some interesting facial expressions. Perhaps telling us supporters what he thinks of US????

I reckon team spirit has disappeared again. The guys managed to manufacture some for the Carlton game, but they don't seem to be playing as a team again. Pity people like Kymmie Koster have been given the boot. Sometimes the contribution a player makes behind the scenes is just as good as contribution on the field.:(

I dont think the team spirit is gone, the boys showed alot of character against collingwood......

Our game against the Eagles was pathetic......so yea i wouldnt think the boys would be too motivated when singing the song.

I really feel for D Gallacher, he try's hard, hes not soft, and hopefully one day his skill will match his determination.

And another thing, since when did getting booed make you play better footy???

I think it was a joke when people were cheering when he went onto the bench
:mad:

I have to agree with you QT.

As I said in a different thread I feel embarrassed for the kid, because he gets thrown in the deep end, tries his best, and then gets booed for it.

Sometimes I hate our crowds. They seem so insipid at times I just want to scream at them. Like that time against Essendon when they all started chating "CHEATS" over and over to the umpires. That pissed me off something shocking, and they boo every umpiring decision that goes against us. Sure boo the real bad ones, but otherwise just LET IT GO. I mean c'mon grow up folks...

sigh.. rant over.

Garth

I'll feel sorry for David Gallagher when he's out of the team.

I actually love our crowd, we're passionate, we let our feelings be known and we don't blindly support our team (saying well done to a player when he's completely hopeless) when we're crap. Great stuff guys, keep giving it to the umps and let's go Crows!!

Last two weeks David has done a bit better than previously

I am no huge fan of his but he should stay in the team as he has been better in the last two weeks. It would not be logical for him to be dropped now based on what he got away wiht in his frist two games.

(Eccles and Burton should be right in three weeks in time for Port which is good)

Only one obvious error when he kicked straight to them

He does go in hard though.

Booing your own players is disgraceful.

Even in 96 when we were terrible it was not justified and hey we won on Saturday

Big one this week again!!

Originally posted by QT

And another thing, since when did getting booed make you play better footy???

I think it was a joke when people were cheering when he went onto the bench
:mad:

thats crows supporters for you!!! Theyve booed heaps of their own players before. Hodges, Smith, Gallagher, Chalmers, Downsborough, Patterson, Viska...comes with being a crow supporter.

Originally posted by Macca19

thats crows supporters for you!!! Theyve booed heaps of their own players before. Hodges, Smith, Gallagher, Chalmers, Downsborough, Patterson, Viska...comes with being a crow supporter.

What were you saying to me about only bagging Port and not worrying about my own club????????

You are such a hypocrite

Darren Smith and Danny Hughes are almost the worst players ever to pull on an AFL jumper for the Crows.

Don't ever remember Chalmers Patterson or Death getting booed.

Smith got cheered by the whole crowd in a State of Origin game when he was benched.

Played one good month of footy every year - in the SANFL finals.

Glad you saw some improvement Jars, hope the selection committee didn't see it.......

I'd like to see Matty Shir come back in, and as you said, Eccles and Burton should be back by hopefully the Melbourne game, replacing D. Gallagher and Byrne.

Macca, jeering your own players is a d|ckhead tradition, not a crows one, and all clubs have their share of d|ckheads. I've been to plenty of Port SANFL games and believe me your d|ckhead quotia is right up there with the best.

And funnily I'm a crows supporter and I would never boo a player from my own team. In fact I would never boo a player full stop, unless they had done something to deserve it (cheap shot or something). Bet you can't say the same.

And as for D. Gallagher, I'm sick to death of the sh|t that our supporters give him. Every time he plays he tries his best. He goes in hard for the ball, which is more than can be said for some of our more decorated players. He may not be up to AFL standard, but when he puts on a crows jumper I get behind him and try to spur him on rather than deriding him, because thats what supporting your club is about. Not trying to undermine your own players.

I hope he gets picked again now and playes well just to shut up the (in Sheedy's words) "snipers".

Now for booing the umpires. Frankly its immature and petulant, reflects badly on our supporters and probably puts the umps in a less forgiving frame of mind. We should spend less time blaming everyone else and spend more time geeing up our team.

Garth

BOO WHO Macca

Macca, You dont think for one minute those booing were not Pork Power supporters do ya.:confused:

Lets just say Pork Power boo when thier team has lost!!!
I know who Id rather have.

Who gives a rats who it was, its not the first time and it wont be the last - whoever the side is!!

And er...Go Crows

Re: BOO WHO Macca

Originally posted by topjars

Macca, You dont think for one minute those booing were not Pork Power supporters do ya.:confused:

Lets just say Pork Power boo when thier team has lost!!!
I know who Id rather have.

Who gives a rats who it was, its not the first time and it wont be the last - whoever the side is!!

And er...Go Crows

I dont know many Port Power supporters that go to crows games to watch them play...unlike crows fans who usually come out and watch Port play to barrack for the opposition.

Plus...why would Port Power fans be in the outer?? And why would they boo??

I sit right where the Port players come off at games and even last year i never heard any booing from around my area.

Originally posted by Jars458

What were you saying to me about only bagging Port and not worrying about my own club????????

You are such a hypocrite

Darren Smith and Danny Hughes are almost the worst players ever to pull on an AFL jumper for the Crows.

Don't ever remember Chalmers Patterson or Death getting booed.

Smith got cheered by the whole crowd in a State of Origin game when he was benched.

Played one good month of footy every year - in the SANFL finals.

He is also one of the best CHF the state has ever seen. Consistent, not many CHFs have kicked the amount of goals he did in the SANFL. Not to mention played over 300s games there. Not to mention win 7 or 8 premierships either. He knew when he needed to play very very well - in the finals, and didnt he play well in all those premierships.

There is your anti-port bias coming thru saying Hughes and SMith are almost the two worst players to play for the crows. Smith did alright in his 9 games he played. Hughes did alright in the little games he played for the crows, and like hodges, was one of those port players fuked around by Cornes. He got benched in 91 at Kardinia Park for doing what i thought every other coach would want from a player, not taking a backward step. He put his body on the line, collected a geelong player, got booed by the crowd, then had Cornes drag him for putting his body in, with even more boos from the crowd.

Your obviously forgetting those fantastic players like Linden Stevens, Downsborough, Patterson, Bartlett, Rouvray, Atkinson, Cook x2, Ashley Fernee (haha), Gilligan, Groom, Howard, Lindsay, Mail, Turner, Sailba, Lamb (haha), Mcintyre, Payze, Pesch, Powell, Ross, Rowe, Tongerie, Tasker, Wigney, Williams, Wintle who played for the crows and did bugger all for them.

Originally posted by Garth
Macca, jeering your own players is a d|ckhead tradition, not a crows one, and all clubs have their share of d|ckheads. I've been to plenty of Port SANFL games and believe me your d|ckhead quotia is right up there with the best.

And funnily I'm a crows supporter and I would never boo a player from my own team. In fact I would never boo a player full stop, unless they had done something to deserve it (cheap shot or something). Bet you can't say the same.

And as for D. Gallagher, I'm sick to death of the sh|t that our supporters give him. Every time he plays he tries his best. He goes in hard for the ball, which is more than can be said for some of our more decorated players. He may not be up to AFL standard, but when he puts on a crows jumper I get behind him and try to spur him on rather than deriding him, because thats what supporting your club is about. Not trying to undermine your own players.

I hope he gets picked again now and playes well just to shut up the (in Sheedy's words) "snipers".

Now for booing the umpires. Frankly its immature and petulant, reflects badly on our supporters and probably puts the umps in a less forgiving frame of mind. We should spend less time blaming everyone else and spend more time geeing up our team.

Garth

Very good post garth. Let me disect it and give my opinion on what youve said.

1) I never said Port had no dikhead supporters. We have our fair share just like everyone else does.

2) Ive only ever booed one player thats put on a jumper for port. That was Mark Tylor after he came crawling back to Alberton after he couldnt get a game at the Bay. No way will i support a player who wants to leave then crawls back a year later asking to come back.
I give some of Ports less interested players sh!t (by less interested i mean not putting in the hard yards) like Phillipou, Ormond Allen, Tylor, Higgins, at times Clayton, Brosnan and in the AFL Chad Cornes, ****ie, Eagleton and at times Kingsley.
If they put on a Port jumper i, along with every other Port fan expect them to try their hardest and put their body in when needed and not be afraid to hurt themselves. Those players that shirk the issue or couldnt be bnothered chasing, tackling etc bring the wrath of Macca onto them.

3) Gallagher does get a lot of crap. You could almost say rightly so in some aspects. He is a very under skilled player, but what is Ayres meant to do? He was playing very very well at the Eagles and deserved a show at the Crows. However, i think Dermott put it perfectly when he said against Essendon "Gallagher is slow by foot and slow by brain". I can understand why so many crows fans dislike him so much. He is goddamn slow! There is no doubt he tries his best, i dont think 1 player in the afl doesnt try his hardest, nor does he shirk the issue, he just has very very average skills. It can get annoying when one of your players, no matter how many times they get the ball always tend to give it up thru being too slow and getting tackled or kicking straight to an opponent. I can understand why crows fans bag him.

4) Booing the umpires like the crows do is just ridiculous. Like hte showdown this year when they got about 13 free kicks in a row, and as soon as Port finally got a free kick they all screamed murder at the umpire. All supporters boo the dodgy decisions, and throw the ironical cheer in the air when they finally get a free. Everyone thinks the umpires are against their team. Even if you get 10 more frees a game you still think they are against you...its almost natural.

5) What i originally meant by you expect crows fans to boo etc. was that they simply do. And they do boo their team and coach somewhat shockingly at times. Everyone was calling for Ayresys head, then mid year when you started to win 4 and 5 outta 5 or 6 games you all started saying he was alright and deserves a shot. Fickle and hypocritical are the words that describe it.
You reckon you dont boo your own players. I used to be a crow fan up till 94/95 and i remember after those home losses the crap that crows fans used to throw at their players.

I got video highlights from the news of robert shaw taking the players to the members bar after the game to apologise for one dismal effort and the whole team got booed and abused the whole time.

This is an exerpt from the advertiser in 95

"Sadly, the booing was only the start of it Scenes after the loss
were described by club officials as "ugly" and the worst
encountered at Football Park. One player had to be restrained
from jumping the fence to assault a fan who was hurling abuse
and spitting. The crowd which I thought had been quiet where we
were was in fact nasty behind the goals, and one visiting
supporter was hit with a bottle thrown by a home supporter. In
fact, several were arrested after this incident. At the club,
fickle supporters were told to shape up or clear out, both by
board members and senior players, and many did not take this too
well at all. Then there was the vandalism after this. A
disgraceful series of events I am ashamed to say."

doesnt say much about crows fans does it!! Thats all im saying. in MY opinion, i find most (not all) crows fans to be fickle, hypocritical and quick to judge. They are all happy when winning "we would never boo our side", yet the next home loss the same people are hurling abuse like there is no tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3) Gallagher does get a lot of crap. You could almost say rightly so in some aspects. He is a very under skilled player, but what is Ayres meant to do? He was playing very very well at the Eagles and deserved a show at the Crows. However, i think Dermott put it perfectly when he said against Essendon "Gallagher is slow by foot and slow by brain". I can understand why so many crows fans dislike him so much. He is goddamn slow! There is no doubt he tries his best, i dont think 1 player in the afl doesnt try his hardest, nor does he shirk the issue, he just has very very average skills. It can get annoying when one of your players, no matter how many times they get the ball always tend to give it up thru being too slow and getting tackled or kicking straight to an opponent. I can understand why crows fans bag him.

Hey I agree totally, he's just not AFL material at this stage (maybe he could be down the track due to his work ethic, but I doubt he will last that long). I don't dispute that, and if I were the Crows coaching staff I would drop him and I would also trade or delist him. Its not about his talent or potential though, its about pissants who jeer a player from their own team as he's coming off the ground just because he isn't up to the task.

4) Booing the umpires like the crows do is just ridiculous. Like hte showdown this year when they got about 13 free kicks in a row, and as soon as Port finally got a free kick they all screamed murder at the umpire. All supporters boo the dodgy decisions, and throw the ironical cheer in the air when they finally get a free. Everyone thinks the umpires are against their team. Even if you get 10 more frees a game you still think they are against you...its almost natural.

hehe true, true, of course you Port fans aren't all that much better (or at least thats how it seems on the telly). I don't think its so much a club thing, but a South Australian mentallity thing. We tend to be a state of whingers, which is something that iritates me constantly also.

eg. They were going to upgrade the Aquatic Centre and people bitched that it would ruin the park lands. Seriously folks they are weed riddled drug hang outs anyway most of the time.
Or the Adelaide Oval light towers fiasco. "The lights will ruin my view!!", "But your house doesn't even overlook the oval... tool."

I could list more but I'd make myself ill.

I don't think people take into account our win/loss record in the whole free kick thing either. A lot of the time we lose (face it folks we don't have a wining record) and in doing so play from behind and therefore give away more frees.

Its all well and good being parochial, but blaming some victorian umpiring conspiracy is just lame, as is booing the umpires just because they dare to pay a free against us.

I think I'll stop ranting now, before I hurt myself :)

Garth

It's all good and well to say the umpires aren't to blame for our losing record but you can't escape the fact they have been shocking this year. I reckon I've seen only one game that has been decently umpired all year, not neccessarily favouring either side. The white maggots have been absolutely crap in just about all games and I reckon it's great when the crowd gives them heaps. They get paid good money, then they make sh*thouse decision after sh*thouse decision. Someone has to be made accountable. So good on the crowd for bagging them , though I don't advocate blaming them for our losses.

As for David Gallagher, I've come to the conclusion that I should blame the recruiting manager and coaching staff for the debacle that has been D. Gallagher's career. What could they have possibly seen in him?? It's his 3rd year now and he's just not getting any better. It's sad, I'd like to see him improve but it's not going to happen.

I don't encourage the jeering of players, never have, I just think when D. Gallagher returns to the bench after another pitiful display the crowd should not boo, but simply clasp their hands together and pray that Ayresy has the sense to keep him there. God always listens after all.

It would appear that the only person who heard the crowd booing the players was Neil Kerley!!!!

Contrary to what one Port Power fan said on radio last night, it didn't come over on the TV replay, and no-one sitting on that side of the oval heard anything, Robert Shirley didn't hear anything, so I imagine what Neil heard was coming thru his headphones from another planet.

As for booing the umpires, isn't that part of the fun of going to the footy??? They're always wrong!

David Gallagher had a few good games in his first year with the Crows, in fact he won a Norwich Rising Star nomination. After the resulting publicity, he went downhill rapidly, and doesn't appear to have maintained his skills at all. Shame really.

Macca, my bias??

LOL

And you have none

God you come and here and sprout **** as if its all neutral truth when in fact you hate the Crows and are totally biased against them and thier supporters.

I suppose the Peoke with Power scarfes I saw at the Collingwood game were Crows supporters????

There is a guy in front of us who sat there for 6 years and barrakced for the Crows and come Showdown 1 has his Power scarf and hat. What a moron.

So I guess you hate Eugene Warrior and boo him then?

Smith was a good finals player but that's it. Did nothing for the Crows

I guess those who booed him at the State of origin were not maggies fans??????

All Hughes did was whack people in the back of the head after they took a mark in front of him.

Macca, my bias??

LOL

And you have none

God you come and here and sprout **** as if its all neutral truth when in fact you hate the Crows and are totally biased against them and thier supporters.

I suppose the Peoke with Power scarfes I saw at the Collingwood game were Crows supporters????

There is a guy in front of us who sat there for 6 years and barrakced for the Crows and come Showdown 1 has his Power scarf and hat. What a moron.

So I guess you hate Eugene Warrior and boo him then?

Smith was a good finals player but that's it. Did nothing for the Crows

I guess those who booed him at the State of origin were not maggies fans??????

All Hughes did was whack people in the back of the head after they took a mark in front of him.

Whats a peoke.
And i suppose you dont come into the Power page and sprout **** do you? no course not.

Why is this guy a moron?? Because he followed the magpies all his life and chose to support Port in the AFL as well...like a large number of people did. I supported the crows up until Port won the liscence.

Eugene Warrior. I cant stand him. He fuked Port around something shocking. I have not and will not clap or appluad anything he does this year. Yes he is a great player, but a w***er as well. There is only one time that i will start to clap him agian and that is if he wins us a grand final. Then he would of repayed the debt he owes us.

You obviously know very very little about football if you say thats all Hughes did. Thats obviously how he won a Melbourne BnF then isnt it.

Neutral truth!! It is. So your saying crows dont boo their own players, and dont abuse their players and coach when they are losing?? Are you saying all that crap didnt happen to Robert Shaw?
If you are your a dill.

. I supported the crows up until Port won the liscence.

. Thats obviously how he won a Melbourne BnF then isnt it.

So you jumped off the Crows bandwagon and on the Power bandwagon. Outstanding. Who will you support next???

I said for the Crows not for Melbourne.

Your (this is correct use of this word unlike in your post when what you meant was "you're a dill") logic about Warrior is classic.

What if he wins you a Prelim Final?? not quite good enough?

Yes I do go on the Port site and abuse Port but I am not the one who said that was the wrong thing to do - You are.

POrt supporters should hate Crows and vice versa

Not support both or one after the other

Pathetic

you have no credibility.

Ah ol Rainbow.

I was soo happy when he left the legs. I remeber sitting through the prelim final in 99 against the eagles watching him and cringing every time he went near the ball. He goes in softer than almost any player I have ever seen.

Granted he nearly won us the Grand Final that year, but it was a 5 min burst and he did nothing the rest of that day, and nearly isn't a flag...

And jars, frankly, you are being silly about this changing to the Power after supporting the Crows thing. I fail to see what is wrong with supporting the Crows when they are SAs only AFL team, and then when their club enters the comp (in whatever form) switching over to where their original loyalty lay. Its not like they wouldn't have still been supporting the Magpies in the SANFL...

Its all well and good hating Port (and I do, in any and all of its incarnations.. but I'm a legs supporter so its no real surprise :) ), but hating people who support them is idiotic. Its as stupid as hating someone because they like a different brand of beer..

Garth

oh and Macca, man you really need a new pic, that is one freaky insane clown :)

Originally posted by Garth

Its all well and good hating Port (and I do, in any and all of its incarnations.. but I'm a legs supporter so its no real surprise :) ), but hating people who support them is idiotic. Its as stupid as hating someone because they like a different brand of beer..

Garth

I don't hate people who support them
I don't hate anyone in fact

I just disagree with Macca a lot and we bait each other. He may be an idiot but I don't hate him.

I was referring to Port the team.

I have a lot of friends who are Port supporters. Including a special one so I think you have misjudged my motives here.

So you jumped off the Crows bandwagon and on the Power bandwagon. Outstanding. Who will you support next???

I said for the Crows not for Melbourne.

Your (this is correct use of this word unlike in your post when what you meant was "you're a dill") logic about Warrior is classic.

What if he wins you a Prelim Final?? not quite good enough?

Yes I do go on the Port site and abuse Port but I am not the one who said that was the wrong thing to do - You are.

POrt supporters should hate Crows and vice versa

Not support both or one after the other

Pathetic

you have no credibility.

What bandwagon?? I was 9 years old when Adelaide went into the league, of course i would support them!!! As soon as Port won the licence in 1994 i stopped supporting them as i didnt see the point. I still went to crows games as i had a Cat 1 members ticket and wanted to go to football games. When Port went in the comp in 97 i begun to support them as i am a Port supporter. Its not like i just changed because it seemed like a good idea. There is no way known i would continue supporting Adelaide if Port was in the same league.
No Credibility!! I got more bloody credibility than you do!

I do not like players that abandon the club that brought them up. Tylor did this and i hate him. Eugene has done this and i cant stand him. he can go and get rooted for all i care. Not that it matters because he will probably end up playing for WWT or Sturt next year anyway.

Garth - I dont hate Jars. I dont know him...i cant hate someone i dont know. Nothing wrong with cross town supporter rivalry! Im sure if me and jars met up we would go have a beer.

Also Garth about Eugene, i think he is a fantastic footballer, he is a fantastic talent, one of the most naturally skilled players ive ever seen, he is just a nomad thats all. I will never forget how he won the 97 reserves GF off his own boot. Kicking 5 goals in the last 10 minutes of the last quarter to get port up by a point. Pity that was before he abandoned the club. He also nearly single handedly won you the 1999 grand final as well. That goal inthe third quarter...one of the freakiest goals ever.

I was dressed as a 70s pimp, with my afro and 70s shirt and sunnies. me and my group of friends put a label on our group and called us 'The Funky pr0n Squad'. No its not pornographic, just the 70s nature, like pr0n music, 70s dress sense. We had a party and dressed up in 70s gear.
here is the offical Funky pr0n Squad website:
http://www.geocities.com/funky_p_s/

here are the pics of the Funky pr0n Squad Party
http://members.fortunecity.com/funky236/home.htm

the password is funky for the party one

Crow54,

Our skill level all year has concerned me. I cannot work out why with 6 months preseason and 4 coaches we have continually looked ordinary with-poor ballhandling and disposal, inability to hit guys on the chest, deadset lack of ability to kick goals, cant play for four quarters and not being able to kill off a side. Not to mention the ****ing huddle and forward line set ups.

In 6 months this has not improved too much since the preseason games. Sure there have been some good wins and great moments - more than last year - but even some of those were extremley dodgy and less than convincing. The Freo and West Coast games are proof of that.

Jerome

Macca, yeah Rainbow is talented, I never disputed that. I just dislike his attitude, he seems soft both mentally and in his attack on the ball. If he made use of his talent rather than wasting it hed be up there with, say Farmer or similar, but he doesn't.

Where'd that pr0n squad stuff come from. Out of the blue it would seem, lol. Nice wig but.

Garth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back