Footy Grammar update - bias, shot on goals, etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a note that should one display bias, then as a consequence they are said to be biased.

They are not "bias".

To quote Terry Wallace, I'll spew if I read the sentence "I am bias" again.

Cheers all

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

I don't know why people insist on trying to use words they don't know.

Just a note that should one display bias, then as a consequence they are said to be biased.

They are not "bias".

To quote Terry Wallace, I'll spew if I read the sentence "I am bias" again.

Cheers all
The said intent would have to be discerned as a noun or a verb, but would probably in the context of discussion be an adjective
and open to be biased or prejudiced.

Are you quoting Terry Wallace, as I can't ever recall him saying that? Maybe you are paraphrasing.
Good point. I should have put quotation marks around "I'll spew" which I have now edited.

Thanks. It's important we maintain grammatical integrity for without it, society will collapse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, Gavin Excell, although I tend to find the degree of bias in the umpiring is relative to who my team is versing that day.
Just on versing, is there support for the view that the language is forever evolving and if it's in common usage, then it is legitimate?

Ah "versing"
The other scourge of modern discourse

There should be a rendition program for people who use this monstrosity.

And anyone from anywhere who says “winningest”.

Just on versing, is there support for the view that the language is forever evolving and if it's in common usage, then it is legitimate?
I think the fact that new new usage initially results from ignorance makes it sound terrible, but eventually it becomes so common we accept it. For example, I suspect in 20 years it will be acceptable to say “I wish Clarko would of rebuilt using the draft” rather than the more correct “I wish Clarko would have rebuilt using the draft”.

grammar-nazi2_5979697_lrg.jpg

Lol Gavin Excell how many times did you spell/grammar check your OP before hitting the button? 10?

Biggest problem IMO on here:

there - hey look over there, there is no problem
their - it's their fault they lost
they're - they're going to lose

Also than/then, eg:

"I'd rather eat glass than support Fremantle"
"IF Damian Barrett actually has any idea about what sliding doors is, THEN that would be a first"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back