Footy in China

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just the messenger.

There is no need for legal challenge. Simply set a world body for next to no money at all.
A world body wouldn't have much work to do. Simply establish some laws of the game, eligibility rules and affiliation..
Well you have got the job of convincing the AFL or whoever is willing to put up the money to set it up. We need a Twiggy Forrest or similar.

Well you have got the job of convincing the AFL or whoever is willing to put up the money to set it up. We need a Twiggy Forrest or similar.

Money is certainly not the problem. Just need a few representative people.
People underestimate the need for a world body but overestimate the the work involved.
probably because every body is supposing a world body would be responsible for funding and development.
Not the case, unless you specifically wanted to go down that road. Just some paperwork.

I'm just the messenger.

There is no need for legal challenge. Simply set a world body for next to no money at all.
A world body wouldn't have much work to do. Simply establish some laws of the game, eligibility rules and affiliation..
For a world body to be a world body, it would need to sit above the AFL, which the AFL wouldn't allow.

It could be a world body for everyone but the AFL, but I suspect most footy leagues would follow the AFLs lead on most things, hence, what would be the point.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

For a world body to be a world body, it would need to sit above the AFL, which the AFL wouldn't allow.

The AFL could simply be affiliated with the world body. Currently the AFL doesn't internationally so there's no conflict.

what would be the point?

As i have said before:
1. Some countries require a sport to have a world body to be considered a legitimate sport and thus be eligible for funding.
2. A world body could rule on matters than concern Australian Football overseas like eligibility, laws and rankings.
Having an Australian Football set of laws other than the AFL's would be very beneficial for 18-a-side and variants.

The AFL could simply be affiliated with the world body. Currently the AFL doesn't internationally so there's no conflict.

As i have said before:
1. Some countries require a sport to have a world body to be considered a legitimate sport and thus be eligible for funding.
2. A world body could rule on matters than concern Australian Football overseas like eligibility, laws and rankings.
Having an Australian Football set of laws other than the AFL's would be very beneficial for 18-a-side and variants.
Even Australian country leagues wouldn't follow an official Australian Football set of laws. I certainly dont think international leagues would. The circumstances facing each country are not only different to the circumstances facing Australian leagues, they are different from each other. It is far off from being at a point where you could worry about standardisation, to many leagues still to worried about survival.

Even Australian country leagues wouldn't follow an official Australian Football set of laws. I certainly dont think international leagues would. The circumstances facing each country are not only different to the circumstances facing Australian leagues, they are different from each other. It is far off from being at a point where you could worry about standardisation, to many leagues still to worried about survival.

And THAT is exactly my point. The AFL changes the laws because of developments in the AFL.
Those law changes are basically unneeded in all other leagues other than if you aspire to playing in the AFL.
There was a law that said a game of football was "legal" with as few as 14 players - that covers Australian Football in Australia.
Even so some leagues have experimented with new laws as in the SANFL and some laws make no sense w.r.t. community football.

Overseas, 9-a-side football is very common and there is a lot of 9-a-side representative football.
Talking to many overseas coaches, the enquiries aren't of standardisation but of what new rules have been created in their absense.

To have a world body and to look at the laws could be achieved with minimal effort.

Almost all leagues have their own supplementary and replacement rules to inject some semblance of order into local-level footy. One of the best IMO was the VAFA 25-metre penalty. They reverted to 50-metre last season and it totally altered the flow of the games.

Almost all leagues have their own supplementary and replacement rules to inject some semblance of order into local-level footy. One of the best IMO was the VAFA 25-metre penalty. They reverted to 50-metre last season and it totally altered the flow of the games.

The idea of a 50m penalty is to apply a penalty equivalent of one kick. That is deemed to be 50m in the AFL and makes sense in second tier leagues but makes no sense in any other leagues. In low scoring games like those in the AFLW a 50m penalty is a total farce.

So back on topic, what should the distance be in the AFL International Cup? What should the rucking rules be? What should the kick-in rules be?
Those items and more, IMO could be discussed by a world council.

These guys would like to run Footy around the Globe.

Brian Clarke has spent 20 years promoting footy offshore. I have had some PM's and phone calls with him the last couple of years about what Port is doing in China.

These guys would like to run Footy around the Globe.

Brian Clarke has spent 20 years promoting footy offshore. I have had some PM's and phone calls with him the last couple of years about what Port is doing in China.

Brian Clarke IE Clarkey is a bit of a legend around the place. Had a little bit to do with him in the early 2000`s.
He was having a lot of interaction with AFL House at that time with mixed success - Same story as today AFL House wanting ORGANIC Growth overseas.
The Colin Tincknell mentioned on their board is the Leader of One Nation party in the Upper House of WA Parliament.

I've never seen any of the AFI board at an AFL International Cup. In contrast, Dipper is a regular attendee.
Not surprised when I hear that for a couple of the AFI board - However surprised Ron Barassi does not attend.
We are now well off topic.

I've never seen any of the AFI board at an AFL International Cup. In contrast, Dipper is a regular attendee.
I have seen Brian Clarke & Brian Dixon at AFL International Cup games in Melb.- &, IIRC, a newspaper photo of Ron Barassi at an AFL IC game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should the game between St kilda v Port Adelaide really be taking part in China this year with the coronavirus virus?
Likely too early to say.
We have closed our borders to the Chinese for the time being along with a few other countries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back