Toast FOOTY IS BACK!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

The world we are... now... in."

• Training return, Monday 18th.
  • Full contact training on Monday May 25th.
  • Games resumes Thurs June 11th.
  • Clubs to undergo education sessions, plus screening and regular testing.
  • Umpires and key matchday staff also screened and tested.
  • Flexibility to adapt where necessary is important.
  • Not placing burden on public health system is paramount.
  • Government Ministers thanked etc.
  • Decisions in line with advice from government and medical authorities.
  • AFL has been given an opportunity, and understand accept responsibility to football industry and wider community.
  • Fixture to be released over time, in 4-6 week blocks.
  • First block released over next 10 days.
  • Games only in states which have approved full contact training and matches.
  • WA and SA to train at home, move to Gold Coast
  • SA clubs to move to Gold Coast before May 25 for full contact training.
  • Gold Coast base in place for at least 4 weeks, with an eye on changes in state regs going forward.
  • Family visits to be allowed and paid for by the AFL.
  • Flexibility to be maintained with changing restrictions.

Cat Party.jpg

OK...so its a bit different, but worth a celebration.

Lets hope our boys can do the business....but...can we get through all the games?

Constable...Cockatoo...Cooper Stephens..Narkle....Will 2020 be the start of a new era..? Whatever...sit back and enjoy...its football at last.

Lets hope our boys can do the business....but...can we get through all the games?

Constable...Cockatoo...Cooper Stephens..Narkle....Will 2020 be the start of a new era..? Whatever...sit back and enjoy...its football at last.

It'll be footy, but whether it's worth watching will remain to be seen.

I'm excited for footy, but can't help wondering if the standard will be a bit below par? And when we were playing poor footy to begin with.........

Then again, maybe an analysis of our gameplan over the last couple of months without the daily pressure of regular footy will provide some benefit on our return.

Given how heavily compromised this frankenseason will be, in the future people will look on 2020 as completely irrelevant, a historical anomaly with a huge asterisk against any results/records etc.

Which is why I am going to suggest that Geelong does something that I have never advocated before - we should tank the bejesus out of this season. Aim for last place and load up in next year's draft.

This season doesnt matter anyway so why not?

Given how heavily compromised this frankenseason will be, in the future people will look on 2020 as completely irrelevant, a historical anomaly with a huge asterisk against any results/records etc.

Which is why I am going to suggest that Geelong does something that I have never advocated before - we should tank the bejesus out of this season. Aim for last place and load up in next year's draft.

Not for tanking or deliberately losing. But i wouldn’t mind us playing all the young blokes and only bring in guys like hendo, harry and jenkins when the young blokes need a rest.

But with the more tighter packed games they say will be played this year, and short breaks between games those young blokes are going to be needed anyway.

And i dare say injuries will be more common as well due to the long break, lack of normal training and shorter breaks between games. Might be a battle of attrition.

Pumped for the football to be back!! A big bummer no crowds...for now but still better than nothing.

I actually think the shortened games will provide Geelong with a gr8 chance at winning the flag too...a number of 'burst' and older players will help...who knows really, just happy football is (sort of) back!

So when someone from one of the clubs tests positive (that will happen surely) does that squad go into quarantine and miss playing a round or three? What happens to the integrity of the competition?

Unfortunately for me this season will be a series of exhibition games with very little at stake. If I could attend the games the excitement would increase but with TV commentators creating fake drama and zero fans present it will be pretty dull.

Problem with that is the draft- recruiters will have very little to go on wrt the best players.

I don't think the players and coaches think this is a season with very little at stake. There's still a premiership to be won. I'm sure they'll be taking it very seriously. I guess the question mark will be for me, that given this break you'd think the players would've lost some condition. So I expect the first few weeks to be very scrappy and messy until match fitness returns again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for that are on the edge... all anyone craves is a fair chance. Personally I'd not be against having a super extended bench to get a lot more players on to the grass to play a few games... hard to press your case when you can not play....

Never ever tank... there will be players going at the end of this year thru to the performance they offer. some will not even get a chance to play.

Never ever tank... there will be players going at the end of this year thru to the performance they offer. some will not even get a chance to play.
Yes some players are playing for a list spot for next year. Even the scratch matches for non selected players are important. Big year for fringe players.

The world we are... now... in."

• Training return, Monday 18th.
  • Full contact training on Monday May 25th.
  • Games resumes Thurs June 11th.
  • Clubs to undergo education sessions, plus screening and regular testing.
  • Umpires and key matchday staff also screened and tested.
  • Flexibility to adapt where necessary is important.
  • Not placing burden on public health system is paramount.
  • Government Ministers thanked etc.
  • Decisions in line with advice from government and medical authorities.
  • AFL has been given an opportunity, and understand accept responsibility to football industry and wider community.
  • Fixture to be released over time, in 4-6 week blocks.
  • First block released over next 10 days.
  • Games only in states which have approved full contact training and matches.
  • WA and SA to train at home, move to Gold Coast
  • SA clubs to move to Gold Coast before May 25 for full contact training.
  • Gold Coast base in place for at least 4 weeks, with an eye on changes in state regs going forward.
  • Family visits to be allowed and paid for by the AFL.
  • Flexibility to be maintained with changing restrictions.

View attachment 876101
Fixture to be released over time, in 4-6 week blocks.plenty of scope there to manipulate the season,the AFLs dream come true.

Any word on how the list sizes will play out?

Ive been off the reservation while it was up in the air.... but what has been said about that and is the VFL comp in the dumpster now too?

Hope not.

GO Catters

Any word on how the list sizes will play out?

Ive been off the reservation while it was up in the air.... but what has been said about that and is the VFL comp in the dumpster now too?

Hope not.

GO Catters

Its going to take a while to pan out. The AFL want to cut millions but the clubs are pushing back.. and there is a difference between this year and from next year on. The seems a push to return to a reserves type setup rather than VFL but that seems a mismatch to having less players.

Hmmm...I feel an asterix coming on....
latest

So this from Gil.....

Players and official across the whole competition will be subjected to heavier restrictions in terms of social distancing to protect the health and safety of the industry compared to the general public.

A framework of sanctions – that have been agreed upon in consultation with the AFLPA – will be released in coming days and will punish players or officials should they break the protocols put in place.

I presume the recent "punishment" of the Adelaide FC isn't indicative of the framework to be put in place??? Talk about soft....

Then again, Ben Hart was smashed with a six week ban...I thought that was a bit rough...

...all a little confusing.

Watching the Bundesliga German football league returning today (I live in the UK). It's not as jarring with empty stadiums as it was when they introduced it in a pre lockdown world, especially when it was mid season for football leagues in Europe. Of course it's not going to be the same, but after 2 months of complete lockdown here I still found it fun to watch and now appreciated it a bit. Whether it's the right decision is another topic I won't go into, but as a spectacle as long as the match doesn't turn until a blowout (like one match did in the Bundesliga) there is fun to be had. We will get used to it and then be truly amazed at the spectacle when crowds actually can return (maybe next year - finals could be an optimistic option in a place like Aus I suppose).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back