News Footy Is Coming Back Baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Not realistic comparing 2020 stats to anything prior though, given we are playing 16 minute quarters. 20% less playing time.
Round 1: (2020)

Bulldogs = 1,121
Power = 1,514
Magpies = 1,489
Eagles = 1,439
Hawks = 1,302
Giants = 1,162
Tigers = 1,179
Bombers = 1,471
Swans = 1,353

North = 1,113
Saints = 1,241
Crows = 1,045
Dockers = 1,152
Blues = 1,167
Cats = 1,135
Lions = 1,204
Demons = 1,222 (Benau)
Suns = 1,125

No segmentation B.H.S gives a few clues they can work out for themselves.

Super Team (Segmentation)
Players 1-6 = 620 (Magpies)
Players 7-12 = 443 (Power)
Players 13-18 = 354 (Power)
Players 19-22 = 188 (Power)
Total = 1,605

200 Ranking Points less than our lowest tally in 2019 which was the prelim, Fossie 32
not sure you have a firm grasp, here is something that you will like I finally had the
test for Covid19 on Thursday last week day 54 of my Covid diary. The girl who probed
my throat and nostrils was smoking hot underneath her protective gear.
Aah crap got it the wrong way round. That's not very cheery then.
Nice day for day 54 there :p

Footy has been in hibernation
Not a kick in anger around the nation
A lot has changed since corona went viral
When footy starts again love to see the spiral

Last edited:
p
This thread needs some poetry to usher in Round 2:

When Round 2 comes along,
What would be really nifty,
If my beloved Bulldogs,
Could better twenty two inside fifties.
When the season's once more on the move
And they run out on the ground
There's one big thing the Dogs must prove:
That they won't be pushed around.

We hope that Libba's fit once more -
We need his midfield grunt -
And when we need to even up the score
That he proves to be a campaigner

When Greene plays tough as is his wont,
His kicking, gouging style,
We need to stand beside our Bont
And wipe the smirk from off his dial

And in the ruck we hope big Tim
Has packed on lots of meat
We hope he's spent time in the gym
If not, let's bring in Sweet.

As well as all that macho fare
We also need some skill
We need to dominate the air
And kick straight with the pill

With Hunter paying for his tricks
And sitting on his arse
Let's hope there's no more floaty kicks
Just a straight flat bullet pass.

And when the ball's inside the arc
And the oppo's playing loose
Naughton needs to take the mark
If not, we've got Josh Bruce

Round 1 has lingered in our mind
A wretched festering sore
So now let's put that all behind
And kick a winning score.

Grunt does not rhyme with campaigner. ;)

Nice work d-o-g-w-a-t-c-h, full hyphenation for that effort. :thumbsu:
Thanks, but as always, it's just doggerel ... as is appropriate, of course. :bulldogs:

Just a question, one that you of all people might be able to answer, Yo-jimbo ... why is it hyphenation and not hy-phenation?

Thanks, but as always, it's just doggerel ... as is appropriate, of course. :bulldogs:

Just a question, one that you of all people might be able to answer, Yo-jimbo ... why is it hyphenation and not hy-phenation?
I went to a Technical College dog-watch where you spell it like you say it, and if you are smart
you don't say it in the first place. I blame my childhood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think we should disregard the result from round 1 and start this new season from scratch?
Absolutely. That game was in another era, many moons ago.
Ridiculous to think that it should be counted as part of season 2020 and a 1/2.

Anyone seen the new fixture? How many Friday night games do you guys think we will get now? My guess is one and thats still one more than we deserve.

We have gone from a beautiful swan everyone wanted to see to an ugly duckling in one game.

I genuinely feel like the season should be cancelled and replaced by some exhibition games. The season is far too compromised and it would look very strange in the history books to have it recorded as an official season.

The AFL can't suddenly think it's OK to change the rules after the tread period and draft has been completed. Any significant rule changes like reducing the number of games, reducing the length of quarters, etc, need at least two years notice IMO. These are significant changes that would have otherwise changed the way list managers approached the next two seasons had they been given prior notice.

How can this season be taken seriously? Way too tarnished. Let's just prepare for 2021, which needs to include 23 rounds and 20 minute quarters. If the AFL are planning on reducing the time of quarters, they need to make an official announcement to implement by 2022. This gives list managers, recruiters, coaches, etc time to prepare.

I genuinely feel like the season should be cancelled and replaced by some exhibition games. The season is far too compromised and it would look very strange in the history books to have it recorded as an official season.

The AFL can't suddenly think it's OK to change the rules after the tread period and draft has been completed. Any significant rule changes like reducing the number of games, reducing the length of quarters, etc, need at least two years notice IMO. These are significant changes that would have otherwise changed the way list managers approached the next two seasons had they been given prior notice.

How can this season be taken seriously? Way too tarnished. Let's just prepare for 2021, which needs to include 23 rounds and 20 minute quarters. If the AFL are planning on reducing the time of quarters, they need to make an official announcement to implement by 2022. This gives list managers, recruiters, coaches, etc time to prepare.

Can understand some being hesitant for games to return considering we aren’t out of the Covid woods yet, but what’s the concern with shortened games and season? Why would clubs need that long to prepare for these things? And what would they be preparing?

Looks like the old interstate matches slogan is back with SA & WA premier "Kick a Vic". Sure not making easy for footy to return

The integrity of this season is almost irrelevant when factored against the enormous financial damage that the game, the League and the clubs (including ours) will suffer if it does not go ahead. The loss of broadcast dollars and sponsorship for the AFL and sponsorship for the clubs is just far too great. I don't want our club going back to pauper status and having to continually worry about our existence which was the case for decades prior to 1 October 2016.

Footy, like all sport, requires you to suspend your disbelief and treat the game like it actually matters and means something ; otherwise it's just a pretty enjoyable display of athletic ability. With empty stadia and the weirdness of 2020, I don't think I cant sufficiently fool myself into believing. I'll happily watch a game on TV, but going to games is integral to my enjoyment. I'm also concerned that this rush to get back is influenced by the bookmakers as much as the TV execs.

I'll watch when it happens, but my enthusiasm levels aren't high. I'll bet there are a spate of injuries due to unconditioned players but the show must go on :-/

Danny from Droop St signing out

The AFL has revealed June 11 as its return-to-footy date for the 2020 season after weeks of uncertainty.
AFL chief Gillon McLachlan is currently holding a press conference to announce the game’s return-to-play plan.

As reported by the Sunday Herald Sun, the season is set to resume on Thursday June 11.

AFL teams will start non-contact training in their home cities from Monday.

WATCH GILLON McLACHLAN’S PRESS CONFERENCE ABOUT FOOTY’S RESTART LIVE IN THE VIDEO PLAYER ABOVE FROM 12.45PM

But the league won’t have a fixture for the season’s return until at least next week as McLachlan conceded that Marvel Stadium could be a potential Grand Final location.

McLachlan confirmed that all players will begin training on Monday with contact training to begin on May 25.

All training will commence in home states before Western Australian and South Australian clubs shift to “expensive but manageable” high performance villages – on the Gold Coast – in order to avoid strict coronavirus measures in their home states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back