Prediction Footy Journalism 2016 - Who Is The Cluelessest Muppet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Prognostication!

Having heard a lot about Adelaide dropping out of the 8 this year, it reminded me of an oft-noticed theme about footy journalism*, and the journalists: make a prediction before the season, bury it amongst the troves of undigestible rubbish they write; only revisit prediction afterwards if it is successful. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in FJ bring up their pre-season prediction in the post-season environment.

So I thought I'd do it for them.

getabrain_6917.jpg

here's me, picketing The Advertiser's football writers

I'd like to keep a time capsule if you will, of the poorly-researched, poorly-thought out, poorly written thoughts of our esteemed FJs, right here in this OP. Then at the end of the season, we'll measure them against that arbiter of truth, reality.

If you can find a ladder prediction from an FJ somewhere on the web, post a link so that I can update the OP. I'll add it to the list, and we'll see who if anyone actually knows what the * they are talking about. Not all ladders will be done the same - I'd prefer all 18 teams, but some people only do the 8, etc. No matter - all can be measured against that which is incorruptible (reality). Just to make it interesting, I'll happily add anyone who wants to put up (at least) a premier, top 8, wooden spooner and Brownlow medallist - yes, this means you. It's like the TV show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" except it's not TV, I'd probably say Grade Fiver, and instead of a grade fiver you're up against FJs, so the answer is an obvious yes for most of you.

*footy journalism will hereafter be written as FJ, which may or may not also stand for Fritzing Joke

Here is the current listing (updated 22/3/16):

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
All I can say looking at those predictions is this Dangerfield character must be one hell of a gun to drag an aging bottom half side with no depth to be a contender for top 4 and a flag. I wish we had someone like him we would've been top 4 for the last 4 years with a player like that....

Not a final 8 prediction, but this was my "favourite" bit of Trade Radio last year.

Damian Barrett said:
"Others saying the opposite to you regarding the Crows - you see them dropping out of the 8 ... that's why you are the best going around".
- to Terry Wallace, Trade Radio Tuesday 20th October

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I think there's a bit of setting Geelong up for a fall going on with all the outlandish predictions about their Dangerfield driven resurgence.

If they get it right, all well and good... look at us, we're so clever.

If Geelong don't live up to the hype questions will come from left, right and center and Geelong will get slaughtered for selling out their future to chase an illusion. The boot will well and truly get stuck in. It's the story with everything. Either way the journalists win.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I like that the media is building up Geelong. It will make it funnier if they fail. Kind of like Port last year.

Seriously how does Robbo even still have a job after the Essendon saga? Guy doesn't have a shred of credibility left.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Seriously I wonder how many of these dudes are smoking crack or just taking the piss, nice thread will be back with some contributions, sad we won't be making the finals this year though.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Please change title to "most clueless", or I will vote for deaneus :)

It's a perfectly cromulent word, cluelessest, meaning "most clueless". I would have also accepted "cluelessiest"

Not enough? He's the chipmunk who inspired me to do the thread!
I embarrassed him on Twitter last year. Was the highlight when he tried a retort but my favourites would suggest people agreed with me

David King for mine. Over here in Melbourne, most of the Melb journo's don't really know what to expect from us. David King has been the only one to say we will be 4-5 wins worse off because Dangerfield has left us

I mean, I loved Danger as much as the next guy, and know losing him will hurt a bit - but not to the extent that he thinks

Has us finishing around 13th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
All the flagellation by Rucci, Rowe, Bickley, et al re Port being top 4 and dead certs to make the 8...and even with their soft fixture, only three of those FJs have them in the 8. While I think they are mostly self-appointed experts who are Vic-centric knobs, surely their chosen 8s are completely stuffed, proven by omitting Port. That means there's hope for us yet, or it could mean we shouldn't go to the footy this year now that we've been shown we're clearly not going to be making finals.:rolleyes:

Infra Ted

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jan 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here's mine deaneus

Premiers: Hawthorn

Ladder:
Fremantle
West Coast
Hawthorn
Sydney
Crows
North
Geelong
Port

Wooden Spoon: Essendon

Brownlow: Fyfe

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm too lazy to look it up... does anybody have these predictions from those guys from 12 months ago?

I'd be interested to know how many of them had us in the 8 going into 2015.

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
All I can say looking at those predictions is this Dangerfield character must be one hell of a gun to drag an aging bottom half side with no depth to be a contender for top 4 and a flag. I wish we had someone like him we would've been top 4 for the last 4 years with a player like that....

They have a piss easy draw, so they should do quite well this year.

*shrugs*

Happy to keep flying under the radar and cashing in on a lack of respect from the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back