Moved Thread Footy on telly is better to watch now than in the past

Do you prefer watching footy on tv now or in the past?

• Now

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • The past (like pre 2000s)

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching old games and highlights got me thinking, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I reckon watching the footy on tv is better now than say, the 90s and before. Mainly for the following reasons:

Live games: many games in the past were delayed telecasts. Now it's all live.

Score and clock: were only shown occasionally. Much better they're shown all the time like now.

Camera angles: probably the biggest. I prefer the wide angles of today to the close ups of yesterday. Yes you saw the action close up didn't get a sense of the overall play. I guess it's closer to watching live. Plus all the fast moving pans etc as a result.

Commentators: this is more 70s and before, black and white era. I found a lot of them lacked enthusiasm. You may some today are OTT, maybe so, but I'd prefer that to someone with a monotone voice.

Maybe this is kind of a silly thread, like that's the reason all the above was changed (as with changing technology). Not all changes have been good, but I hear many complain about broadcasts today and I don't know, I actually feel things are better now.

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne
Technology means the vision now is better than what it was in the past and this will keep on improving.
Not to mention wide screen TV's.
As for commentary, watch the last quarter of the 1966 Grand Final (Channel 7 version) as to how games should be commentated.
No mention of hard ball gets, uncontested possessions, inside 50's and scores from them etc etc. These days we are flooded with stats and they seem to invent new ones each season that mean jack.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Technology means the vision now is better than what it was in the past and this will keep on improving.
As for commentary, watch the last quarter of the 1966 Grand Final (Channel 7 version) as to how games should be commentated.
No mention of hard ball gets, uncontested possessions, inside 50's and scores from them etc etc. These days we are flooded with stats and they seem to invent new ones each season that mean jack.

Yeah that was a good call, there were definitely exceptions, but imo a lot just don't seem overly expressive. Plus this was the end of a close gf.

Yeah some get maybe too technical for the average fan, but I do find stats interesting.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
"Oh yeah that's right Darce, his pressure foof is now at an unprecedented 17.8 foofs, that's amazing, no team has ever had that many foofs!"

"SEVENTEEN POINT EIGHT!??! That's incredible, really incredible isn't it? And here's tommy lining up for goal... from this angle of the ground, at this time of day, with 45% humidity and a temperature of less than 30 degrees celcius, he's about a 14.756% chance of kicking the go... oh wait, he's passed the ball. CLEVER!!!"

<jobe watson mumbles horse s**t while eating a sandwich>

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton

Mike Butch and Ted … we’ll never see the like again.
Simply the best …

FDA11E99-7A8D-49D2-85C5-D01B156182A2.gif

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Still can be improved. The best thing about watching AFL live is you can see what is happening down the group, players leading, defense setups - this is harder to see on TV, mainly because viewers had small TVS and players would have looked like ants. Now with everyone at home having massive screens, the broadcasters have not adapted. They still have the camera close in on the play.

If TV broadcasters pulled the camera back the game would be much better to watch. They also need to stop the play-by-play commentary - it's TV, I can see what is happening. Either add something or shut up.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I think some games back in the day some matches weren't even televised, some radio's covered games.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
One of the amazing things watching footy in the 80s and 90s was the way the forwards, even the deepest ones, would start to move as the ball was being brought out of half back at the other end. It was a thing of beauty to watch unfold while live at the game sitting slightly elevated, and was never captured on TV. These days the whole game is more end to end, like basketball, so there is not that much of a difference in perspective live vs on tv.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
i did like coming home from a game and watching the 2nd half after a win (and you were lucky enough to be the game on delay) - other half of the family would have to say 'we dont know the score' as soon as we entered so not to give away who won.

i did like listening to the analysis after the game on the radio when driving or catching the train home. Now they go straight to the next game.....alot of the time its a fully interstate game no-one really gives a s**t about

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Footy telecasts in the 70s,80s and 90s were far better, nothing like the VFA on a Sunday, they were great games to watch. It was an era of magnificent televised footy. Finals broadcasts were intense and full of atmosphere, today's finals lack a lot of passion. Commentators don't stand a chance, if they go over the top they will get criticised, if they are too low key, they will get criticised and if they burst a blood vessel like Rex or BT, the internet will explode in damnation of their calls.
To be honest, if your team wins, footy fans don't give a fat "rat's tossbag" what the commentary is like! IMO we don't have enough "colour" commentators, Denis Cometti was the best as he managed to combine the two. Today has gone technology mad as we review fingernail touches off the boot and dubious over-the-line calls.
I guess i'm older, i grew up with "hit the boundary", "I tipped this", "jack hill the blind minor could've seen that", and they've fallen in a heap after halftime like they've done in the last couple of three weeks" “Mark Lee’s long arms are reaching up like giant testicles.”, “I won’t say anything in case I say something.”. or the immortal line "Fitzroy have completely copulated here today" . I don't mind over-the-top commentators both on radio and TV.
As a kid, i would listen to 3GL to hear Geelong getting smashed and the very biased ex-player commentary team was still giving us a chance at 3QTR time, even though we were 10 goals down! Let the commentators have their heads IMO.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Footy telecasts in the 70s,80s and 90s were far better, nothing like the VFA on a Sunday, they were great games to watch. It was an era of magnificent televised footy. Finals broadcasts were intense and full of atmosphere, today's finals lack a lot of passion. Commentators don't stand a chance, if they go over the top they will get criticised, if they are too low key, they will get criticised and if they burst a blood vessel like Rex or BT, the internet will explode in damnation of their calls.
To be honest, if your team wins, footy fans don't give a fat "rat's tossbag" what the commentary is like! IMO we don't have enough "colour" commentators, Denis Cometti was the best as he managed to combine the two. Today has gone technology mad as we review fingernail touches off the boot and dubious over-the-line calls.
I guess i'm older, i grew up with "hit the boundary", "I tipped this", "jack hill the blind minor could've seen that", and they've fallen in a heap after halftime like they've done in the last couple of three weeks" “Mark Lee’s long arms are reaching up like giant testicles.”, “I won’t say anything in case I say something.”. or the immortal line "Fitzroy have completely copulated here today" . I don't mind over-the-top commentators both on radio and TV.
As a kid, i would listen to 3GL to hear Geelong getting smashed and the very biased ex-player commentary team was still giving us a chance at 3QTR time, even though we were 10 goals down! Let the commentators have their heads IMO.

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Could you imagine sitting at the footy and some goose next to you is screaming stupid catchphrases the entire game
Could you imagine sitting at the footy and some goose next to you is screaming stupid catchphrases the entire game and telling you every single thing that is going on even though you can actually see it? Why do you feel you need someone telling you the ball has dribbled over the line for a throw in, or someone kicked long - do you have issues with your vision?

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Football on TV is complete information overload these days. XYZ team is 15th in the league for pressure acts inside 50 despite being the 7th best for score involvements from half back. Commentators that struggle to name players correctly despite being on seven figure sums. Former players on special comments merely because they played rather than the quality of their insight. Graphics all over the screen as players line up for goal. Faux banter in the box that becomes the focus of the broadcast rather than the action.

The technology is better but the actual experience is miles inferior to the past. Back in the time of callers describing the play accurately and correctly and basic stats like kicks-marks-handballs-inside 50. It is total overload these days and the television experience is by no means better for it.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The coverage on 7 in the early to mid 90s just worked.

It was simple, but had everything you needed. No overhyped bull****, no inflated egos or callers who fillled the commentary with inane factoids about the players personal lives that add nothing and definitely none of Russell's Americanised crap.

Last edited:

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
As far as the five minute warning goes, I think just completely choose one way or the other. I really like the count up clock when you're at the ground and not knowing how much time is left in all four quarters. I'd have no issue with the television broadcast just doing that.

I found with the five minute warning that there wasn't quite that 'I really don't know how much time is left' feel. For example, if the five minute warning came up at 22:30, you can work out that the quarter will end around 30:00.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Another issue with the five minute warning was that the commentators knew when the siren was about to sound and would commentate accordingly, pretty much defeating the purpose of having it. Once they slowed down and launched into that grand statement about Team A or Team B or the great match or Player X in his milestone game, you thought, "OK. I guess that's it then".

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Watching old games and highlights got me thinking, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I reckon watching the footy on tv is better now than say, the 90s and before. Mainly for the following reasons:

Live games: many games in the past were delayed telecasts. Now it's all live.

Score and clock: were only shown occasionally. Much better they're shown all the time like now.

Camera angles: probably the biggest. I prefer the wide angles of today to the close ups of yesterday. Yes you saw the action close up didn't get a sense of the overall play. I guess it's closer to watching live. Plus all the fast moving pans etc as a result.

Commentators: this is more 70s and before, black and white era. I found a lot of them lacked enthusiasm. You may some today are OTT, maybe so, but I'd prefer that to someone with a monotone voice.

Maybe this is kind of a silly thread, like that's the reason all the above was changed (as with changing technology). Not all changes have been good, but I hear many complain about broadcasts today and I don't know, I actually feel things are better now.
The biggest improvements are that every game is live and available, and the picture quality is light years better. Two things I really enjoy.

Back