Footy or Funeral??????

Remove this Banner Ad

Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2000
Hugh Heffner Mansion
ok what would you do if some one had to be so annoying and go die in Grand Final week grrh how dare they
mad.gif
I have already told my mum i would be going to the grand final and she said thats ok she would want me to.

So what would u guys do funeral or grand final?

sPiDeR eVeRiTt and RiCkY oLaReNsHaW
~kewlest players round!!!

[This message has been edited by Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk (edited 24 December 2000).]

It depends!
One if Collingwood were in the Grand Final!
Two how close the person was too you!

But i would choose the grand final!

Well I don't have a whole lot of relatives, and my team won't be in many GF's so I would say.........Grand Final
biggrin.gif
but there are a lot of factors.........it would depend.

If I were to croak and the Eagles in a GF clashed with my funeral I would despise any eagles supporter that went to my funeral if they had a chance to go to the GF.

In fact i think I will put it in my will to embalm ne for a week and have my cask draped with the flag afterwards.
Maybe I could still go to the GF dead and sit in the seat of an AFL board member. No-one would know any difference
wink.gif

Hmmm, what a dilemma. I would probably go to the funeral but if it was someone who understood my footy obsession, I would have an earpiece in my ear listening for the scores!!!

I think I would have to have it written in my will that my funeral should not clash with any major sporting events. Do it on a weekday so everyone has a good excuse for a day off work. It's the least I could do (except for the dying part of course).

Come to think of it, recent experiences tell me that there are not a lot of weekend funerals any more???

Maybe this is a for argument for the night Grand Final? There's another topic in there somewhere.

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

Originally posted by Frodo:
If I were to croak and the Eagles in a GF clashed with my funeral I would despise any eagles supporter that went to my funeral if they had a chance to go to the GF.

In fact i think I will put it in my will to embalm ne for a week and have my cask draped with the flag afterwards.
Maybe I could still go to the GF dead and sit in the seat of an AFL board member. No-one would know any difference
wink.gif

No Frodo, they would pick you in one - you would be the one without a conflict of interest.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Relax jod. This is all hypothetical and when people are faced with the reality of the situation, attitudes will change. The loss of a loved one will transcend all else happening in your life and footy will be an afterthought. Like if a parent or one of your children died and your team won the GF, it would take a long while for you to get any satisfaction out of that flag. You would gladly trade a thousand flags to have them back. Then there is the death of a distant aunt through marriage who really wasn't all that nice to you and thought you should get a haircut and a real job. You like your uncle but feel hypocritical attending the funeral simply because it is the family thing to do. I kinda believe in mutual respect in life and in death.

You can weigh up which regret would be stronger in your life. Missing a funeral or missing a flag. I wonder how many Saints fans would have been happy to miss the 1966 win to attend the funeral of their Mothers cousins sister in law?

As I said, I would probably attend the funeral but I have been spoilt by my teams success. Most people who pass away would be hoping that those left behind were happy. You can't judge people decisions. It is different for everybody.

I sometimes think society is more consumed with death than they are with life.

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

Jeez, ODN. You are getting rather profound aren't you ? I suspect you may be wasting your intellect on someone who cannot distinguish between a hypothetical and the real thing though.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was a football friend i am sure they would have a funeral in the morning and the wake in the arvo where we would watch the footy on tv. But if it was someone who scheduled a funeral in the arvo, you would always go to the funeral, that is a once off, where as gf are every year,
though if it was the prelimanary final it might be a different case cause there always great games so the decision would be tougher, just kidding

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's:

Maybe this is a for argument for the night Grand Final? There's another topic in there somewhere.

Grand finals are sacred. There should be night funerals instead.

------------------
Other bands play, Manowar KILL !!!!!!!!!

A passing of a life is sad, the passing of a loved one is a lifetime of sadness,only those who have been through this will appreciate what im trying to say.Get your thinking right!
Family and other loved must allways come first cause they wont be here for ever.
GO PIES.

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's:
Relax jod. This is all hypothetical and when people are faced with the reality of the situation, attitudes will change. The loss of a loved one will transcend all else happening in your life and footy will be an afterthought.

Exactly.
smile.gif

A toughie but a funeral is the last chance to say goodbye to a person you love. There are many different circumstances but I guess i would choose funeral.
However, if it was my team's last and final game ever to be played in the AFL, it would make this question the toughest decision in my whole life.....I'll have to ponder it while i get the chance....
There are always replays of the GF
wink.gif

------------------
Tigerland is not made up. Only real supporters have been there and know how to get there.

Don't tell me that Same Olds with 4 damm memberships 2 of them guaranteed granny tickets if that side makes it plus part AFL membership don't tell me i wont get a ticket and hmmmmm if the trusty old membership cards dont get me a ticket then theres always...... ok ok no need to go on!

sPiDeR eVeRiTt and RiCkY oLaReNsHaW
~kewlest players round!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back