Footy Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm assuming you can already run well so the bottom end of the beep test will be fine so you need to improve on the top end sp we're looking at repeated sprints...it's also 20m long isn't it for memory so you won't need to sprint for much longer then that per set

try sprints with descending weekly rest where you keep the distance the same but decrease the rest each week so you do the same amount of work in less time

try this:

10 x 20m with 30secs rest between reps - be strict on the timer

rest 5mins

repeat

each week decrease the rest by 5 secs (25, 20, 15, 10 then zero) going all the way through like you would the top end of the beep test

also time each of the sets (10 x 20) to see if your second set is a s fast overall as the first one which means you're keeping your sprint times up as the rest will be the same

probably do 1/week going for broke in this one session, ecspecially in the last few weeks

each sprint is as fast as you can go

of course if tyou actually have the beep test handy just go up to a hard-ish level and do actually do it
make sure with this program that you incorporate some sort of agility lke try turning at the end of each repition or stoping quickly.

cause agillity can be a major factor in when people pull out of a beep test.

Hey looking for a program that can base on building muscle, increasing sprint speed while keeping endurance and the main factor is putting on kgs. I am 17 and weigh 56 kgs, light build fair height (6ft). I just cant seem to put on weight. is there anyway I can do exercises around the house to help put on weight, Are there any diets. I dont have a great deal of time to work out all pre season but is there a way i can realistically gain say 5 to 10 kgs before round one next season. Any help will be appreciated?

i was at the same stage when i was 18 but i'm only 168cms..i gained about 7 - 8kgs in a matter of months when i went through my first actual "program" wts wise...diet was terrible too i remember and i was running like madman, happy i don't do that anymore

you have a bigger ceiling though as your taller and younger so you could easily put on 5kgs but not with "exercises done around the house", you'll need some wts mate

any chance???

at rthe very least you'll need something to do chin ups from

apart from that we can do lunges, step ups, push ups, prone planks, side planks, handstand push ups but a gym would be better long term

I am an American playing footy over here in the states, our season ended a little less than a month ago and im looking for a good offseason workout routine, I can't do very much running for a couple months until a shin splints injury heals up(minor stress fractures) Im 187.96cm tall and weigh 89 kg. I play primarily in the forward positions (Center half, Full) but get thrown in the ruck every now and then.

Am also looking for a lift or something to help with the distance of my kick. Being in the states I find it hard to find footy oriented lifting or training programs or what not.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

there is nothing on aussie rules at really is ordinary and that's the reason why i'm in the process of putting together a site for it

shin splints - yues rest, you don't really need to run now anyway, the body needs a break...maybe do some short sprints to keep the volume down but the intensity high...10 x 20m with 30secs rest between them etc

training - 2 options really...you could use an NFL based program which are similar in some aspects (strength, power, some hypertrophy) like westside for skinny bastards which is basoically what i'd give you but i'd add in pairings

it more depends oin what you've done in the past and what you're doing now...i could say do o lifts but if you've only ever done machine wts then that would be pointless

Thought Id post something that was in the Sun-Herald on sunday - Tadhg Kennelly's program for the next few weeks at least:

Monday:
- yo-yo test (like beep test)
- 10x300m runs
- 2x5mins of 30 second sprints mixed with walking and jogging
- 10x100m sprints

Wednesday:
- two hour session at Kurnell Sandhills

Thursday:
- 80 minutes of combination of aerobic power work of 3-4 minute runs and 10/20/30m sprints

Saturday:
- 7km Bay run/cycle (across Iron Cove bridge and around drummoyne/leichardt)

What a full on program! And that doesnt include weights sessions etc, and with skills to start this week (for the swans anyway).

Im pretty sure that if any of us did this for even a month we'd be in pretty tip top shape.

I thought it was interesting...

well he's just come off the gaelic finals so he probably tapered during them so i would think he'd be a little behind most of the others so they may be fast tracking him a little

full on though for sure

well he's just come off the gaelic finals so he probably tapered during them so i would think he'd be a little behind most of the others so they may be fast tracking him a little

full on though for sure
I know its a shorter game and that, but Im pretty sure tadhg was in full time training over there anyway to make sure he would be able to return to AFL if he wanted to.

That said, a lot of guys would be on a program like this for the first few weeks of the off/pre season - how some still manage to gain 5-10kgs in the gym is pretty darn impressive IMO.

Most people do that dont they?

I know some guys who get up to 90kgs in the off/pre season through the weights, but once they start the running and such they get back to their playing weight of 85. Seems pretty common, even amongst the lower levels of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would think in the local leagues it's that they just don't eat enough to maintain their new muscle on top of their new calories requirements with the extra running

i doubt whether it's 5kgs of actual muscle too, that is a very big pre season in anyone's books

i don't think it should happen at a world class level such as the afl myself, i'm sure there's ways to get around a big muscle loss

Hey I'm 21, pretty unfit, smoke, drink etc.. Quitting smoking is a must I know, dirty habit it is lol.. I weight about 90 kilo and I'm about 6 foot.. Looking to probably play back pocket in my first football season, doing it mostly for fun.. Was just wondering if theres any tips I can do outside of training like in my spare time to get endurance and stamina up while keeping my strength.. or any help at all anyone can give me on preparing for a position in the backline, any help would be appreciated..

if you haven't played before then just gtet out and run although work up in your distances

maybe like this:

1km runs x 2 weeks
1.5km x 1 weeks
2km runs x 2 weeks

do them for longer periods of time if you feel you need to

just keep in mind that it's probably better to do be able to do 5min kms in sets of 1 then to be able to run 2kms in 15mins, meaning if you increase the distance and the time just lags on and on, then decrease the distance and get good at that before going further

if you haven't played before then just gtet out and run although work up in your distances

maybe like this:

1km runs x 2 weeks
1.5km x 1 weeks
2km runs x 2 weeks

do them for longer periods of time if you feel you need to

just keep in mind that it's probably better to do be able to do 5min kms in sets of 1 then to be able to run 2kms in 15mins, meaning if you increase the distance and the time just lags on and on, then decrease the distance and get good at that before going further

I'd almost do the complete opposite of this but it depends on the intensity of the run. We're all supposed to do the old 30 mins of moderate intensity activity 5 or more days of the week just for health reasons. So for footy I'd reccomend at least 45 mins at just a steady state, not too difficult, just get the cardio adaptations into you at this stage of pre-season. The longer runs can't be reasonably completed once the season begins so now's the time to get them in.

what if he can't run for 45mins?

if he's not doing anything now, how can he go from nothing to thousands of steps (and 3 - 5 times his bodyweight with each contact at 90kgs going through his joints) in a click of the fingers?

My training with regards to leg speed, is a little different.

I'm 16, but still have the old 'gotta get the miles in the legs' type attitude. If I have had a week where I have been on the tready for say only twice a week, I 100% run 4km. I almost jog the whole thing on nine/ten.

But when I'm in full flight, I shorten the distance and noticely up the speed to make it short, sharp & quick.

Muse i would probably settle for somewhere in the middle of the previous suggestions, initially for you i would jog walk for 45min-1 hour every second day, try this for two weeks and let us know how you go before you progress any further.

Don't push yourself too hard initially as this is not required.

Regarding the smoking, you will quit this when you feel ready an interesting technique for changing some negative behaviours (or reinforcing positive ones) is to repeat to yourself some type of 'mantra' while you are in the heightened state that exercise provides, i.e. something to do with the outcome of quitting smoking or continuing ie "i will smell, my teeth will fall out and i will be physically less desirable if i continue to smoke" repeat this to yourself while on your jog walk, or a positive saying "if i quit i will save money, feel better and look better"

I use 'nothing tastes as good as lean and mean feels' as my 'mantra' when i am trying to cut those nutrient poor foods from my diet.

Just an idea from someone who has been there ;-)

hey guys wanting to get for fit for footy, i sometimes go for a run but most my week i prefer to do skipping. I skip for 30minutes straight but i was just wondering what 30minutes skipping is in running, Example 10minutes skipping equals=1km running

if that makes any sence:p

skippig will improve your skipping

running will improve your running

there is no comparison

by the way there's a lot of impact during 30mins of skipping, i'd mix it up if i was you

by the way you don't skip during footy

hey guys wanting to get for fit for footy, i sometimes go for a run but most my week i prefer to do skipping. I skip for 30minutes straight but i was just wondering what 30minutes skipping is in running, Example 10minutes skipping equals=1km running

if that makes any sence:p

If your HR and the time you do it are the same than the fitness benefits will be the same in a general sense, just keep some running in there for specific localised adaptions and to keep your form up.

Skipping is ok as something different, you will still get some good central cardiovascular work out of it, but sometimes you have to do things you dont like to achive your goal if you want to get 'fit' for football the run forest run, and save the ropes for warming up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back