Footy Quiz...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which famous number 23 kicked 6 goals on debut?
Has to be a "trick" question, doesn't it?! If we're talking of a VFL/AFL debut then our best ever effort is 5 goals (Heath Shephard, Terry Waters). Ian McOrist kicked 6 in his second game - he wore the #23 for most of his games, but was meant to be in #46 that day. I can't think of any player who came from another club, wore that number, and might have been a candidate (it wasn't A. Rocca).

Has to be a "trick" question, doesn't it?! If we're talking of a VFL/AFL debut then our best ever effort is 5 goals (Heath Shephard, Terry Waters). Ian McOrist kicked 6 in his second game - he wore the #23 for most of his games, but was meant to be in #46 that day. I can't think of any player who came from another club, wore that number, and might have been a candidate (it wasn't A. Rocca).
Dermot Brereton is a famous 23 who kicked 4 on his Collingwood debut - that's as close as I could get.

Dermot Brereton is a famous 23 who kicked 4 on his Collingwood debut - that's as close as I could get.
Is it a Collingwood player? Question doesn’t say.
I just don't see anyone that qualifies! Surely it has to be someone that played for Collingwood?!

I do suspect the poster has McOrist in mind. He only came off the bench in the last quarter of his first game (he managed one kick), then played the full game the following week and kicked 6, in what would have been considered a "full debut". Officially he did debut the week before.
1586135330405.png
1586135385364.png

Waters may have been named on the bench for the Rd. 6 game, but The Age report has Atkinson (along with McOrist) starting there:
1586136010202.png

Last edited:
Which former Collingwood player holds the VFL/AFL record for the highest winning games percentage over their career? (Minimum of 50 games played)

Which former Collingwood player holds the VFL/AFL record for the highest winning games percentage over their career? (Minimum of 50 games played)
If anyone wants a hint, this is him in a team photo that was posted very recently on another thread (though on the photo they got the spelling of his surname wrong!):
1586153529311.png

Yep sorry to confuse the issue. It was McOrist I was thinking of. I forgot his coming off the bench the week before but remembered his 6 at Junction oval (I think he even kicked a drop kick goal!)

Here's an easy one (though not a Collingwood question...the venue was the same)

Which player kicked a goal in a Grand Final BEFORE the first bounce?

Ok....this one is gonna take some working out. Which 5 AFL players (only 2 are current players) ride my surfboards?

What do Leigh Carlson (my best mate pictured there in my avatar) :) Des Herbert, Graeme Anderson, Ray Shaw and Clinton King all have in common?
The Leigh Carlson that has as his lady love, his childhood sweetheart?
And Leigh who doesn’t mind a dabble on the horses?

Here's another one. Which Collingwood superstar was also a professional wrestler who "wrestled" in front of ten thousand fans at Festival Hall?
The Weed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone wants a hint, this is him in a team photo that was posted very recently on another thread (though on the photo they got the spelling of his surname wrong!):
View attachment 853288

Norm Macleod who I also think has the AFL/ VFL record.

Who is the odd man out, and why?

• Scott Pendlebury
  • Mark Richardson
  • Andrew Pugsley
  • Mason Cox
  • Alex Fasolo
  • Alan Didak
  • Chris Dawes
  • Brent McAffer
  • Leigh Matthews

Yes, he has the best winning record of any player (in the competition) who played 50 or more games, with 88.79% (that was the question!).
I repeated the actual question out of habit as I’m intrigued by these sorts of records.

The last fella - he didn't play for Collingwood!
That is technically correct but not the answer I am looking for.

I did place Leigh in as it would create an added layer. But there is one person on that list that has something different to all the others.

Who is the odd man out, and why?

• Scott Pendlebury
  • Mark Richardson
  • Andrew Pugsley
  • Mason Cox
  • Alex Fasolo
  • Alan Didak
  • Chris Dawes
  • Brent McAffer
  • Leigh Matthews
Mark Richardson - he's the only one who didn't score a goal with his first kick at senior level.

Mark Richardson - he's the only one who didn't score a goal with his first kick at senior level.
He actually did, a very wobbly kick it was too at Victoria Park.

You are very close, but it’s on that path.

He actually did, a very wobbly kick it was too at Victoria Park.

You are very close, but it’s on that path.
Oh! All the others get a mention in the AFL Season Guide as having scored a goal with their first kick (Pugsley managed it with his first two kicks). Richardson isn't named on that list, so as long as your memory is correct, they should add his name.

Oh! All the others get a mention in the AFL Season Guide as having scored a goal with their first kick (Pugsley managed it with his first two kicks). Richardson isn't named on that list, so as long as your memory is correct, they should add his name.
You’re pretty much bang on.

All of them kicked a goal with their first ever kick, but only Andrew Pugsley did it with his first TWO kicks.

So like the Addams Family, it’s Pugsley that is the answer.

ps with Young Mark Richardson, I was there so certain it’s correct. Very wobbly kick.

pps did they ever not call him “Young” Mark Richardson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back