Footy related cartoons and caricatures

Remove this Banner Ad

millsie

Debutant
Sep 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if this is the right place to post these or even if anyone really is interested, but I have been looking through some old (1950s) newspapers and collected a few images of cartoons/caricatures of the footballers of the day.

Firstly from 1953 from The Sun's Jim Edema is the great EJ Whitten.
tedwhitten.jpg

Again from the Sun in 1953 by Bernie Grant is this cartoon of two more Bulldogs' greats in Charlie Sutton and Herb Henderson
footscrayfavourites.jpg

Another one from 53 and Edema is this one of Essendon's Norm McDonald who was the first indigenous player to make his mark on the game.

normmcdonald.jpg

Here are three different ways in which Collingwood's captain of the early 50s, Lou Richards was portrayed. Also notice Fred Flannigan, Phonse Kyne and an early style WEG cat.

Firstly from the Herald after the 1952 Grand Final. Even then Lou was noted for having a big mouth.
Heraldsept29page11.jpg

Jim Edema did a stylish caricature of Lou in the Sun on the Wednesday before the 1953 semi final.
loubyedemasunfrisept111953.jpg

Finally the Age's Sam Wells' portrayal of Louey after the victory over the Cats in the Grand Final. This is a very rare caricature by Wells where he did not portray Lou as a chimpanzee.
Premiers1953a.jpg

Here's some WEG posts. William Ellis Green took over as sports cartoonist from Sam Wells for the Herald in 1950s when Wells was forced into retirement. He produced footy related cartoons until 1952 when I think he started to do more editorial work. Hence he did not produce a cartoon for the 1953 Grand Final. In 1954 he made his first official Grand Final poster.

This is to celebrate North Melbourne reaching their first Grand Final in 1950.
weg1950prelim_edited-1.jpg

WEG's beloved Bombers won the 1950 premiership over the Shinboners.
weg1950gf.jpg

The Cats won in 1951. This cartoon is in pretty awful condition.
weg1951.jpg

Finally for tonight here is some of Sam Wells work. Wells began drawing his cartoons at the Herald in the 1920s until 1950 when he was forced to retire due to his age. He then went to the Age where he produced sporting related cartoons up until his death in 1967.

For Saints fans this is how Wells saw the 1966 semi-final preview of their match with the Magpies.
Sept91966.jpg

And the 1 point victory in the Grand Final.
1966gf.jpg

This is a cartoon of the Magpies 1930 GF victory.
1930gf.jpg

The famous cartoon of the 1964 Grand Final and Gabbo's run.
1964GF.jpg

And my favourite cartoon, the preview of the 1952 Grand Final. That cat is just beautiful.
52gfpreview.jpg

Of course Wells is the person who gave Geelong their cats nickname back in 1924. He also gave Richmond's Don 'Mopsy' Fraser his nickname as well.

awesome posts, Millsie. I've never seen these before... would love if the style/tradition was resurrected by one of the papers.

Edema must have worn out a million rulers during his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back