Footy returns to Stadium Australia (Accor Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yatmax

Channel your inner Mark Zanotti
Sep 13, 2016
Adelaide, SA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coburg
Well, it looks like footy has returned to the big retractable seat colosseum in a dying sparts park. And the naming rights is owned by a hotel company. Dunno if it’s accomodating for footy anymore, i thought it was supposed to be knocked down and redeveloped. Thoughts?
4C51B07B-7DA9-4C51-A048-0FAA6B21C69C.jpeg

That decision was changed with new management of the nrl and covid costs (wanting more boutique venues). Rumours that more work will be done but not massive work, wouldn't be looking forward to it (the game being there) although it will mean more people will be able to see the game

Last edited:
That decision was changed with new management of the nrl and covid costs (wanting more boutique venues). Rumours that more work will be done but not massive work, wouldn't be looking forward to it (the game being there) although it will mean more people will be able to see the game

Been there, would go again.

I reckon a day will come where it becomes the Giants' regular home ground and is redeveloped to be better for AFL viewing, because they will be the only ones able to even half-fill it regularly.
They have a while to go before they get to that point. Will essentially need to sell out every home game at spotless.

Stadium is getting a roof and a makeover. The AFL will no doubt play just enough games there (maybe Syd derby and any big GWS final) to justify keeping it oval. Good move.

I was at the 2016 qualifying final and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a decent atmosphere with 60k there.

I think it could make a decent second ground for GWS for bigger games (with a reduced capacity). If they put up giant black and orange tarps (I know, a dirty word for a Port fan) across from the front row of the upper bowl to the edge of the roof, it would reduce seating to about 50k and make it way more intimate and GWS-coloured. You could then put a massive #neversurrender on one, and a 100-metre sponsorship on the opposite side.

I'm not expecting GWS to be drawing 60k to games any time soon, but a 50k could be good for larger games against Sydney, Richmond, Collingwood etc. And make for a good alternative during the Easter Show if they ever leave Canberra.

I was at the 2016 qualifying final and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a decent atmosphere with 60k there.

I think it could make a decent second ground for GWS for bigger games (with a reduced capacity). If they put up giant black and orange tarps (I know, a dirty word for a Port fan) across from the front row of the upper bowl to the edge of the roof, it would reduce seating to about 50k and make it way more intimate and GWS-coloured. You could then put a massive #neversurrender on one, and a 100-metre sponsorship on the opposite side.

I'm not expecting GWS to be drawing 60k to games any time soon, but a 50k could be good for larger games against Sydney, Richmond, Collingwood etc. And make for a good alternative during the Easter Show if they ever leave Canberra.
They won’t even reach 50k. They couldn’t sell out their ground when they were contending. Look at the Semi Final v West Coast, that was almost empty!

Only game I remember, not being a finals game havinga decent crowd was back in 2016 (I think) when they gave every member 2 free tickets, and they didn't let anyone into the upper stands) so majority were left standing. It was against west coast I think.

I think it will take a good 20 years to get consistently high crowds. And I'm not are that Olympic Park is the best option for the gws market.

They won’t even reach 50k. They couldn’t sell out their ground when they were contending. Look at the Semi Final v West Coast, that was almost empty!

I'm not expecting them to have 50k to games, but it's not unreasonable to think they might get 30-35k to some blockbuster games in the next 5-10 years, and that would have a decent atmosphere in a (reduced to) 50k stadium.

If the Giants leave Canberra, they'll only have to cover one or two games outside of Showgrounds Stadium. Scheduling games against big teams (Sydney, Collingwood or Richmond) could work well at Olympic Stadium. If they pump up the heck out of it, do some strategic planning with Easter Show offers (for people who will already be in the precinct), 35k is definitely achievable in the not-too-distant future.

I guess the opening game against Sydney will be the big test.

Like this?
1641614647698.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking more like one big one starting a bay lower and going up to the ceiling. The Rabbitohs signage still shows empty seats, but this would cover them all up, and also reduce the space so it would be more intimate and the noise would be more contained to theoretically create a better atmosphere.

I can't find a perfect real-world example, but it would be a similar idea to what acm21 said about the Kings (note the red curtain)

Qudos-Bank-Arena-Sydney-Kings-Player-Intros.jpg

And to the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS who have this in place to reduce their stadium from 54k to 22k.

BC-Place-Vancouver-Whitecaps-FC.jpg

I was thinking more like one big one starting a bay lower and going up to the ceiling. The Rabbitohs signage still shows empty seats, but this would cover them all up, and also reduce the space so it would be more intimate and the noise would be more contained to theoretically create a better atmosphere.

I can't find a perfect real-world example, but it would be a similar idea to what acm21 said about the Kings (note the red curtain)

View attachment 1307966

And to the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS who have this in place to reduce their stadium from 54k to 22k.

View attachment 1307968

Not bad examples but I bet the NSW Government will just install a LED curtain like what was proposed for the Sydney Football Stadium

Only game I remember, not being a finals game havinga decent crowd was back in 2016 (I think) when they gave every member 2 free tickets, and they didn't let anyone into the upper stands) so majority were left standing. It was against west coast I think.

I think it will take a good 20 years to get consistently high crowds. And I'm not are that Olympic Park is the best option for the gws market.
I've long been of the belief they should purchase the Old Kings Oval in Parramatta and redevelop that into an AFL standard stadium smack bang in the middle of the Parra CBD and only a Toby Greene drop punt away from the flash new CommBank Stadium.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few photos from Saturday's game. For some reason there is scaffolding on the top deck, a staff member told me they were doing maintenance
20220319_161631.jpg

The video wall in action as viewed from my seat, as predicted, a decent chunk of it was used for advertising during the game with replays appearing occasionally. The following night for the NRL game, the advertising spots were mostly used for stats
20220319_193504.jpg

Good thing it's a 7 year deal. It'll take about 6 for people to stop calling it ANZ Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back