Preview Footy returns - training and game prep Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I still like spp for his football ability
58 games going at 18 disposals per game. He’s well on his way.

Definitely a tick. Certainly leaving Gallucci is the shade.

SPP
Marshall
Rozee
Butters
Duursma

Or

Gallucci
EH
Jones
McHenry
Hamill

To be fair they’ve pulled our pants down over those 2 drafts. We can add Fog from 2017 to their no one.

Overall not even close at the moment. Still a bit to play out

Last edited:

SPP
Marshall
Rozee
Butters
Duursma

Or

Gallucci
EH
Jones
McHenry
Hamill

To be fair they’ve pulled our pants down over those 2 drafts. We can add Fog from 2017 to their no one.

Wowee they've absolutely smashed us in trading. I mean I already knew it but having it laid out like that is pretty damning. Sure they gave up something of value to get it but that's how it works. All 5 of their players will likely be in their best 22 for the long term. Meanwhile one of our 5 has shown anything at this stage and that's being generous.

He may not ever come on but I think he was absolutely worth a crack. 2m talls are always speculative but at that pick it was worth a crack. I'm far more critical of the other picks we made in the draft.
I don't expect much from playes who are picked up in the 3rd round or later

Wowee they've absolutely smashed us in trading. I mean I already knew it but having it laid out like that is pretty damning. Sure they gave up something of value to get it but that's how it works. All 5 of their players will likely be in their best 22 for the long term. Meanwhile one of our 5 has shown anything at this stage and that's being generous.
If we traded Sloane and Brad Crouch, we'd have similar picks. The lost Polec, Wingard, Austin and Pittard to get those picks, so it looks great if you look at the ins column, not so sure it's that great if you consider the outs.

I think Polec and Wingard were better options that all of those except Rozee

If we traded Sloane and Brad Crouch, we'd have similar picks. The lost Polec, Wingard, Austin and Pittard to get those picks, so it looks great if you look at the ins column, not so sure it's that great if you consider the outs.

That’s the point though isn’t it? They made some hard calls ahead of a draft which had high end, SA talent. Took the punt and looks to have paid off.

We also lost good players - Cameron to get Fogarty. Lever.

The reality is they creamed us in 2016 and 2018. We’ll see that R2.

I dont. They have long term players - now some may say they lucked out - but the 2 players named were not season winners. Game changers and occasional game winners but not players you can rely on to produce a season effort

Now it may be argued Wingard was played out of position and thats why he drifted in and out - but overall Port have 3 10 year players

I dont. They have long term players - now some may say they lucked out - but the 2 players named were not season winners. Game changers and occasional game winners but not players you can rely on to produce a season effort

Now it may be argued Wingard was played out of position and thats why he drifted in and out - but overall Port have 3 10 year players
Dealing for Gibbs in 2017 when we knew all of Rozee, Luko and Rankine were in the wings was negligence of the highest order.

Dealing for Gibbs in 2017 when we knew all of Rozee, Luko and Rankine were in the wings was negligence of the highest order.

We still had four picks in the top 21 in 2018. That was more than enough currency to be able to trade up. Even if we didn't, it was still enough that at least two of those picks should net us a high quality player. Hopefully Jones improves in his second year in the system and Ned can get on the park. Think the pick swap will be viewed more poorly the longer time goes on - especially as we then split the 2019 pick it yielded.

Here are round 1 and 2 picks back to 2015. Considering picks, it's looking quite reasonable.

Only 2 top 10 picks, and a lot of late 1sts and seconds. Not what I'd call 'good hands' beyond 2018 and 2019

2019 - 6 (McAsey), 24 (Schoenberg), 28 (Worrell)
2018 - 9 (Jones), 16 (McHenry), 30 (Hamill)
2017 - 12 (Fogarty)
2016 - 15 (Gallucci)
2015 - 11 (Milera), 17 (Doedee)

If you remove Gallucci out of this, it's looking quite good.

Compare with Port, who are apparently the best drafters in the league if you read the hype:

2019 - 14 (Bergman), 18 (Georgiades), 23 (Williams), 25 (Mead)
2018 - 5 (Rozee), 12 (Butters), 18 (Duursma)
2017 - None
2016 - 16 (Marshall), 18 (Pickled-Pepper), 32 (Atley), 33 (Drew)
2015 - 37 (Bonner)

Not that much in it IMO. Rozee will be a superstar, but so far the rest haven't done too much
WOW think you're selling Xavier Duursma way, way too short there....he's a ripper.
Pretty sure I recall Hamish saying somewhere post the draft Port taking him off the table fed into us giving our pick to Carlton for what eventuated as their Liam Stocker pick? Otherwise I'm pretty sure from what Hamish said Duursma was next cab off the rank for us.

Ultimately you have to give up something of value to get something of value, and they nailed it. Wingard although talented was a disgruntled player and a bad attitude can go through a club like cancer. They absolutely nailed the pick they got for him. Polec also talented but an injury risk and they wouldn't have had the cash to match North regardless.

WOW think you're selling Xavier Duursma way, way too short there....he's a ripper.
Pretty sure I recall Hamish saying somewhere post the draft Port taking him off the table fed into us giving our pick to Carlton for what eventuated as their Liam Stocker pick? Otherwise I'm pretty sure from what Hamish said Duursma was next cab off the rank for us.
Agree -he’s a talent.

Port got inside us at all 3 top picks via a lot of swaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still had four picks in the top 21 in 2018. That was more than enough currency to be able to trade up. Even if we didn't, it was still enough that at least two of those picks should net us a high quality player. Hopefully Jones improves in his second year in the system and Ned can get on the park. Think the pick swap will be viewed more poorly the longer time goes on - especially as we then split the 2019 pick it yielded.
We have been the Cincinnati Bengals of the Afl competition recently. Everything we have touched has turned to s**t. We need to do the opposite of our clubs first instincts.
Watch "Seinfeld: The Opposite (Clip) | TBS" on YouTube

Agree -he’s a talent.

Port got inside us at all 3 top picks via a lot of swaps.
Maybe we waited too long trying to get one of GC's picks (to get Luko or Rankine). If we'd started making moves early on with the draft stock we had, we'd probably have given up any hope of getting a pick from GC.

The Poo on the other hand, might have thought they'd have no chance at a pick to get Luko or Rankine so went for Rozee from a long way back.

Neddy before Duursma might come back to bite us, if it hasn't already, but I'll give Ned time to respond.

Even Chayce before Duursma...
No way I'd have taken Duursma before Jones personally, and let's not forget we bid on Tarryn Thomas before we took Jones. Jye Caldwell is the player I'd have taken before Chayce Jones and I'd still be going hard to get him into a Crows jumper now because he might struggle for opportunities early days at the Giants.

They also got Ryan Burton in the Wingard deal.

You're never going to keep 100% of your players. Even the good clubs lose some

The stuff we can control though we need to get that out of the equation

Rightly or wrongly Lever thought he was harshly left out of the 2015 finals series plus made to come back via the reserves from a minor hamstring injury after proving himself as best 22 a season or two later. Then was low-balled in his 2017 contract negotiation. You add those 'slights' to whatever influence his partner had and the reasons to stay start getting thin.

Definitely that was a killer blow
Not sure that he was low-balled. He was offered a reasonable contract in January that he chose not to sign. His form in the first half of 2017 did justify an substantial increase though.

The horse had already bolted though. Taylor and his old man then pretty much went rogue.

I still find it hard to believe Taylor was allowed to,get away with his hijinx throughout the season, essentially pumping up Lever during game day commentary (and anywhere he could) and also acting as a conduit for Lever to approach interested clubs.

Surely that was some first class conflict of interest. He’s since confirmed that he was paid a 1 off fee of $30K for his services.

Even more nauseating was contrived interview with Lever when the dust had settled.

And taking it further, not a peep out of club administration.

SPP
Marshall
Rozee
Butters
Duursma

Or

Gallucci
EH
Jones
McHenry
Hamill

We drafted poorly no doubt, especially the disaster of 2016 that was way worse than any of the Tippett years, but Rozee aside I'm not sold on Port's other draftees yet.

He’s since confirmed that he was paid a 1 off fee of $30K for his services.

Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif

Do we see any of McPherson, Hamill or Sholl getting games this year?

We need to stop using the half back flanks to hide underperforming senior players and use it to blood youngsters. Look at '97 when we had the likes of Edwards, Goodwin and McLeod all rolling through there.

Do we see any of McPherson, Hamill or Sholl getting games this year?

We need to stop using the half back flanks to hide underperforming senior players and use it to blood youngsters. Look at '97 when we had the likes of Edwards, Goodwin and McLeod all rolling through there.

McPherson at the top of the pile to be delisted, his body can't stand up to the rigors of the game. Hopefully he gets zero games and Hamill or Sholl get a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back