Preview Footy returns - training and game prep Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if sticking Gooch in the back pocket might make him try a bit harder.
it’s a horrible feeling giving away goals. Might unlock a bit of drive he’s missing.

I disagree on "trying harder". It's a cop-out and would make absolutely no difference to the lack of success Gooch has had. Gooch's issue is he has drawn the short straw and got stuck playing in the role Pyke gave up on getting any production of it. After all, Milera, Jones, Douglas, Poholke and Knight have all struggled to impact offensively in this role as well, and Lyons succeeded because we gave him considerable midfield time. He's really praying Nicks is going to change that role up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having someone like Gooch in defence just because you need to really load up with offensive ability in your defensive 50, however, I doubt he has the defensive game to reliably impact (whether it's aggression or game sense) when it is not congested. Defensively I reckon he's limited to half back and I am certainly not against giving some time at half back when he is struggling to get into a game.

Lets hope that is true!

Would be excellent to see him get a lot of midfield minutes.

Last edited:

Lets hope that is true!
The club pumped Jones up big time through the pre season, then he was terrible in the JLT and round 1. Seemed to have lost his nerve, just passively waiting for things to happen around him.

Second time lucky, maybe.

The guy that will have me watching Crows games regardless of how s**t we are *

Love to watch him play, hopefully he can take another step in the right direction for whatever this season is.

*Not sure I can promise to tune in for entire games any more but if there's some effort I'll hang around

Tuning in to see if you blokes will play him key defender like in the SANFL at the start of last year?

What the hell was that?

The club pumped Jones up big time through the pre season, then he was terrible in the JLT and round 1. Seemed to have lost his nerve, just passively waiting for things to happen around him.

Second time lucky, maybe.
He showed enormous potential in the R23 game v Dogs last year.

On that basis I’ll keep the faith, but agree he’s been quite underwhelming in games this year

On that basis I’ll keep the faith, but agree he’s been quite underwhelming in games this year
One promising game with a caveat.

They were up 6 goals to no score after 20 minutes. The rest of the game was going through the motions with zero intensity.

Just think the build up from the club has been well ahead of his performances.

Tuning in to see if you blokes will play him key defender like in the SANFL at the start of last year?

What the hell was that?
We like to do things differently.

Most clubs go for a positional change when a player is struggling in their current role. We do it when they're not struggling. Go figure.

I don't think we pegged Hately as a need and don't bring guys over just because they're from Adelaide, but maybe Nicks might have a different opinion on him that gets us interested.
here's one to rattle some cages, Gollant will be a better 190cm player than Hately within 3 yrs (based on what I've seen and are hearing)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predict in 3 yrs time we will be lauding the Gollant and Doedee picks as Hamish's best considering how they were rated by other clubs at the time
We have him training with the forwards currently which surprised me given he'd played mostly wing/outside mid/half back....I do note though from my limited viewing of Gollant his overhead marking and vertical leap look to be a real strength of his game.

What the hell was that?

Hang on a second..... What did you guys do with Hurley at the start of his career??? Even Jake Carlisle?? Both thrown around a lot, both highly touted forwards before they settled in defense

We have him training with the forwards currently which surprised me given he'd played mostly wing/outside mid/half back....I do note though from my limited viewing of Gollant his overhead marking and vertical leap look to be a real strength of his game.

He played up forward in the U23 game. Having a player taller than 177cm flying for marks is a real novelty.

Hang on a second..... What did you guys do with Hurley at the start of his career??? Even Jake Carlisle?? Both thrown around a lot, both highly touted forwards before they settled in defense

You aren't turning Fogarty into a defender though surely.

I predict in 3 yrs time we will be lauding the Gollant and Doedee picks as Hamish's best considering how they were rated by other clubs at the time
A shame he'll have to give up the licking hands before launching for hangers at the moment.

Think it was more trying to find a way to fit him the team last year when we thought our forward line was set and Doedee went down with a knee.
I think it was more teaching him some defensive fundamentals.

Looking more like Lachie Neale now than Chayce Jones circa 2018...Lachie Neale with wheels...Dem muscles!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back