Footy rituals from the past

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being at the MCG years ago with the "around the grounds" scores up on a sperate little scoreboard. StKilda, who were perennial losers at the time (arguably still are), were a kick ahead against some team they weren't expected to beat. The game at the 'G' had finished but nearly the entire crowd stayed in the stands for another 5+ minutes watching the score line. When the final score came through and the Saints had won, the 'G' lit up and the whole crowd cheered like they'd just watched their team win live. Was kinda surreal.

Maybe 1995 round 7 with Carlton having just beaten Essendon at MCG by 8 points, St.Kilda yet to win a game for season and on percentage 53.8% come from behind in last quarter against Dogs at Waverley Park ti win their first game of the season?

Getting your mum to sew the number of your favourite player on the back of your Sekem jumper. Always felt bad for the kids whose mum would place it way too low, or worst of all, the wrong colour. White on a yellow-backed Hawthorn jumper was a personal favourite (I think brown numbers must have been hard to find).

Pretty sure the clubs now iron on the AFL-endorsed numbers for you, and it's almost impossible to stuff up with sponsors on the back.

My first Hawthorn jumper had a lovely brown number one in support of Norm Goss. My second Hawthorn jumper had a horrible, black, blocky number 16 for Terry Wallace. Evidently brown numbers were easy to find in 1980 not so in 1983.

Half a dozen steamed dimmies at half time

hqdefault.jpg

farts in the goal square at the 10 minute mark of the 4th quarter

Off topic but Australia is a big country

Return deposit containers may seem good for the environment by how environment friendly is it to transport empty containers for tend if not hundreds of kilometres ?

The trainers would run out and hand you a bottle of water. You'd squirt the water into the mouth, swirl it around and spit it out. The theory then was not to swallow water as it would give you the stitch. Imagine how dehydrated we were by the end of the match :)

Also, if a player had to be stretched from the ground, they'd place a blanket over him, I assume it was to prevent him getting cold.

The trainers would run out and hand you a bottle of water. You'd squirt the water into the mouth, swirl it around and spit it out. The theory then was not to swallow water as it would give you the stitch. Imagine how dehydrated we were by the end of the match :)

Also, if a player had to be stretched from the ground, they'd place a blanket over him, I assume it was to prevent him getting cold.
Better than when they hung the blankets around him...

Getting your mum to sew the number of your favourite player on the back of your Sekem jumper. Always felt bad for the kids whose mum would place it way too low, or worst of all, the wrong colour. White on a yellow-backed Hawthorn jumper was a personal favourite (I think brown numbers must have been hard to find).

Pretty sure the clubs now iron on the AFL-endorsed numbers for you, and it's almost impossible to stuff up with sponsors on the back.

That brings back memories. When playing school footy, we had to buy our own jumpers and were allocated numbers. I was lucky because my mum was a tailor by profession, but other players would turn up with numbers all over the place. I could never get over players with double numbers that were out of line, or too far apart. We had one player with number 9 that was sewn on almost at 45 degrees, God only knows what his mum was drinking at the time :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good enough to play in very strong back to back premiership sides.

He's actually a Braybrook boy who somehow made his way from Footscray to Richmond.
One very tough hombre on and off the field. Saw him after a game at the MCG (maybe 1977 or 78) picked by 3 pissed blokes - he threw 3 of the best punches I've seen thrown outside of a boxing ring and cleaned them up. Just walked away as if nothing happened.

Getting lost in the car park at Waverley

World of Sport on a Sunday
(especially The Wales footy panel)

Watching State of Origin games and finding out which great players you'd never heard of are coming to the VFL next year
:eek: To play for Carlton?

Are you sure?

According to the MCG Twitter account it's no longer something they do.

Not 100% - wonder if it was changed after the concert incident in the UK, or just after the heightened security changes at the ground.

Getting lost in the car park at Waverley

I do not miss this ritual. I remember about first year had my licence drove to Carlton and Collingwood game out there. By the time we found my car, then 40 minutes later get onto Wellington Road we then found the traffic backed up so far on that road , had to turn car engine off and just sit there for what seemed eternity listening to the interviews and talkback on the radio. Next time left the car at home and caught the bus and trains.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back