Footy Showdown: Devlog [ New Screenshot ]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I think releasing sprint to bounce is a good thing. Even if it were a button, it should stop you sprinting during the bounce animation.

Have you got a goal kicking mechanic? I was playing Aussie Rules Footy on the NES this morning and I always loved (and hated) their goal kicking system of timing it when the bouncing bar is in the centre of the screen. There are some minor changes I'd make to that system but it's one of my favourite systems overall
Yes I don't mind the Nes footy system. Ours is a similar type of system whereby timing is involved though it is not set in stone yet so we haven't showed anything relating to it.

Yes I don't mind the Nes footy system. Ours is a similar type of system whereby timing is involved though it is not set in stone yet so we haven't showed anything relating to it.
Is there any new updates on the game? Any upcoming gameplay footage? Or, a beta/demo in the works?

Hey thanks for your interest. The game is coming along great though you'd be surprised how much implementing the new rules unbalanced the game so getting that right had pushed back development time
Will there also be the old rules in the game? I think Ross from Big Ant suggested something like that for a hypothetical footy game.

Will there also be the old rules in the game? I think Ross from Big Ant suggested something like that for a hypothetical footy game.
Unfortunately no plans for both rules systems. The rules will be the same as whatever the current system is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy showdown in 3D?

Probably have to completely change the art style if you went with a 3D game down the line. But never go with that photo realism style, lol. I saw a Gaelic Football game someone was developing, he was doing a photo realistic look, it was ugly. It looks a million times much better when indie developers try a art style instead of trying to emulate a live action look.

Following this intently, absolutely love the NES games so have hopes with this. Growing up I always hoped someone could get ahold of the OG game and assets and engine, update it and make it harder.

I actually love how you have the 3d with the shifting camera. Always thought the hardest thing with some games is how with some passages of play you want the camera side on, and in others it would be beneficial to have it behind you.

Really excited for this! Will there be a career mode? If so, Will there be a Trade Period or Draft? Will there be a Brownlow like award at the end of the season? Lastly, will teams have overall ratings like in FIFA and 2K?

Really excited for this! Will there be a career mode? If so, Will there be a Trade Period or Draft? Will there be a Brownlow like award at the end of the season? Lastly, will teams have overall ratings like in FIFA and 2K?
Hey thanks for your interest. The focus for the game is getting a good gameplay foundation. There will be a single season mode that does not continue into the next akin to AFL Live 2011. If the game does well enough and warrants a 'number 2' then career mode will be in frame for the next release everything going well.

Teams will be rated similar to AFL Evo.

Hey thanks for your interest. The focus for the game is getting a good gameplay foundation. There will be a single season mode that does not continue into the next akin to AFL Live 2011. If the game does well enough and warrants a 'number 2' then career mode will be in frame for the next release everything going well.

Teams will be rated similar to AFL Evo.
Yeah, gameplay, maneuvers and animations I think should take priority, too. The other stuff doesn't mean anything without decent gameplay, since Evolution 2 very poor gameplay makes the extra features irrelevant.

Fresh Footy Showdown gameplay vid!!

THIS IS AN AIvAI TEST AND IS A WORK IN PROGRESS.

I strongly disagree with one of the commenters, the 2D animation works really well for Aussie Footy. Especially for you being an indie dev, surely that's easier on you so you can focus on the gameplay. But if you ever did transition in the future, go with a 2.5D look and an art style, instead of 3D photo realism because it's not worth the effort. The AI I really like, because the players seem to be moving in very specific positions like in real football. You're kicking Wicked Witch's butt there. But I think the animations could be improved on a lot more. The players move very weightless and the ball doesn't really feel have much weight to it. I remember seeing the grubber kick animation from your other video and I think thought that looked great, though. That looked like it had the right physics to it. Also, I think the bounce of the ball in the middle should go anyway, like AFL 98-99.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back