Footy Showdown: Devlog [ New Screenshot ]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question, is the game going to be easy to mod graphics? I'm always interested in adding things that licensing doesn't allow so I'm sorta curious.
Just player names and team names will be editable at this stage. In terms of replacing images like team logos and the main game logo, that may be possible if testing doesn't cause any stability issues. That being said, player sprites will not be modable at all.

Nice, you put in the mini map, but I can't tell which sides who on it. Maybe display them as naughts and crosses?
Player 1 is Blue, player 2 or CPU is Red. The resolution is too small for other shapes. It's readable in game and should provide a good reference of where players are positioned.

Looks really, really good, nice work :) Am wishlisting.

Some small suggestions:

- Akin to FIFA, when defending/not in ball possession you can hold a button (R1?) to have another defender come toward the guy who has the ball. Could something like that work here? Helps with gang tackles/pressure.

- When the ball is kicked, the camera moves strikingly fast to the new position, that could perhaps be a touch slower/smoother.

HEAPS of potential here :)

Looks really, really good, nice work :) Am wishlisting.

Some small suggestions:

- Akin to FIFA, when defending/not in ball possession you can hold a button (R1?) to have another defender come toward the guy who has the ball. Could something like that work here? Helps with gang tackles/pressure.

- When the ball is kicked, the camera moves strikingly fast to the new position, that could perhaps be a touch slower/smoother.

HEAPS of potential here :)
Hey thanks for the support!!

With regards to the defender pushing up, it's a cool idea though there are mechanics unannounced that relate to this so keep an eye out 😁

The marking and spoiling mechanics rely on positioning and timing so having the most amount of time to get in to position to mark or spoil is important and why the camera moves fast. It's works great in game.

Thanks for your input.

Hey thanks for the support!!

With regards to the defender pushing up, it's a cool idea though there are mechanics unannounced that relate to this so keep an eye out 😁

The marking and spoiling mechanics rely on positioning and timing so having the most amount of time to get in to position to mark or spoil is important and why the camera moves fast. It's works great in game.

Thanks for your input.
Nice one, keep at it, keen to buy!

123405206_203213954750832_6786646448085415211_o.png
GET YOUR NAME IN THE GAME!!

With the dust settling on the main footy season our attention now turns to the Draft!

Every week we will be holding a draft over on our Facebook page for the teams in Footy Showdown! But we don't want just anyone, we want the best players available!

So in order to elect for the draft, you will need to like and share the draft post of the team you want to join (not this one). Also comment the name you want in the game (if not your own, must be G rated) and the guernsey number you want.

Each week 5 lucky players will be picked to join the team that is up for the draft that week.

Best of luck to everybody!!

www.facebook.com/FootyShowdown

**You must like and share to be considered**

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn. I missed the Essendon draft. Was following but saw nothing for a while after Brisbane. Oh well.
Really awesome early signs that this game should be a lot of fun. Just little things like the flash of the ball after a tackle make a good difference.
from the video, it seems like spoiling far outweighs marking but maybe that just the clips you used to show the flow of the game.
Have you got any guesses at when a playable version of this might be available? Been on my Wishlist for a couple of months but I'm guessing it's probably mid next year that we might see an early version on steam

Damn. I missed the Essendon draft. Was following but saw nothing for a while after Brisbane. Oh well.
Really awesome early signs that this game should be a lot of fun. Just little things like the flash of the ball after a tackle make a good difference.
from the video, it seems like spoiling far outweighs marking but maybe that just the clips you used to show the flow of the game.
Have you got any guesses at when a playable version of this might be available? Been on my Wishlist for a couple of months but I'm guessing it's probably mid next year that we might see an early version on steam
Hey thanks for your interest and noticing the little details! Essendon draft is still on it ends later today so get over to our Facebook page and comment and share and you never know your luck!

Was hoping to organise a closed beta test by December but the new rules needing implementation have pushed it back to early next year. Hoping to release sometime around Q2 2021. Hopefully.

Yes was just showing the flow in the video plus it was CPUvsCPU. Marking is different in this game but simple enough to master with practice. We will show off all of those types of things in upcoming posts.

Thanks for your interest!

THE DRAFT IS ON!!

Head over to our Facebook page to join the draft and get your name in the game!!

This weeks its's the FREMANTLE DESTROYERS!

127266328_218536196551941_1858239504397987256_o.png

This will work like AFL Live 1. Stop sprinting to bounce.
I think bouncing should be a button, wasn't a fan of stop sprinting in Live 1 to bounce, players run at full speed a lot while bouncing. Other issues with Live 1 were the players from behind would catch up to the player with the ball too quickly, even if they were an inferior player, which was unrealistic, that won't be in your game? There won't be any invisible forcefields in this, like in Live 1?

I think bouncing should be a button, wasn't a fan of stop sprinting in Live 1 to bounce, players run at full speed a lot while bouncing. Other issues with Live 1 were the players from behind would catch up to the player with the ball too quickly, even if they were an inferior player, which was unrealistic, that won't be in your game? There won't be any invisible forcefields in this, like in Live 1?
I understand what you are saying regarding the bouncing and at this point we have other mechanics mapped to the x y b and a buttons and adding a 'modifier' like holding the left trigger and y button to bounce makes the controls become somewhat convoluted especially when you consider Aussie rules being an already complex game to play. Feedback noted though and if we can accommodate manual bouncing without the controls becoming a nightmare I'm all for it.

And no there are now magical forcefields in this game. Though from a purely game design standpoint I do see why they did that, say you have two players on the wing with the same speed rating one gets the ball the other chases. Because the speed ratings are the same you could potentially run the whole wing without getting caught. Realistically this is possible in real life though in a game if you were the defending player and chased an opponent down the wing without catching them I think most would feel a little ripped off by the game by that

Last edited:
say you have two players on the wing with the same speed rating one gets the ball the other chases. Because the speed ratings are the same you could potentially run the whole wing without getting caught.
This is why I think releasing sprint to bounce is a good thing. Even if it were a button, it should stop you sprinting during the bounce animation.

Have you got a goal kicking mechanic? I was playing Aussie Rules Footy on the NES this morning and I always loved (and hated) their goal kicking system of timing it when the bouncing bar is in the centre of the screen. There are some minor changes I'd make to that system but it's one of my favourite systems overall

I understand what you are saying regarding the bouncing and at this point we have other mechanics mapped to the x y b and a buttons and adding a 'modifier' like holding the left trigger and y button to bounce makes the controls become somewhat convoluted especially when you consider Aussie rules being an already complex game to play. Feedback noted though and if we can accommodate manual bouncing without the controls becoming a nightmare I'm all for it.

And no there are now magical forcefields in this game. Though from a purely game design standpoint I do see why they did that, say you have two players on the wing with the same speed rating one gets the ball the other chases. Because the speed ratings are the same you could potentially run the whole wing without getting caught. Realistically this is possible in real life though in a game if you were the defending player and chased an opponent down the wing without catching them I think most would feel a little ripped off by the game by that
I think if a player gets loose and can run the wing without getting tackled, that should be on the oppositions bad defense and tactics, you should at least have someone forward or side ways to stop them, like in reality. Live 1 always had it where even an inferior rookie could beat an top tier player in a sprint, which made no sense. I don't know if you have players get fatigue, which could limit player sprints. It shouldn't be a Mario Kart type of catch up assist. In real life, players can beat their man and they can't catch up to them (ie Lewis Jetta's sprint in the 2012 Grand Final).

For the bouncing, I don't know if you're using LS or RS (preferably RS) for anything, but could use any of those buttons for bouncing, if not maybe a combination, and maybe combination buttons to cancel out kicks or hand passes like in PES. But I don't know what buttons are mapped out for Footy Showdown.

Last edited:
This is why I think releasing sprint to bounce is a good thing. Even if it were a button, it should stop you sprinting during the bounce animation.

Have you got a goal kicking mechanic? I was playing Aussie Rules Footy on the NES this morning and I always loved (and hated) their goal kicking system of timing it when the bouncing bar is in the centre of the screen. There are some minor changes I'd make to that system but it's one of my favourite systems overall
I always wanted a system revolved around the ball drop, run up and the wind, but that maybe be too complex.

I think if a player gets loose and can run the wing without getting tackled, that should be on the oppositions bad defense and tactics, you should at least have someone forward or side ways to stop them, like in reality. Live 1 always had it where even an inferior rookie could beat an top tier player in a sprint, which made no sense. I don't know if you have players get fatigue, which could limit player sprints. It shouldn't be a Mario Kart type of catch up assist. In real life, players can beat their man and they can't catch up to them (ie Lewis Jetta's sprint in the 2012 Grand Final).

For the bouncing, I don't know if you're using LS or RS (preferably RS) for anything, but could use any of those buttons for bouncing, if not maybe a combination, and maybe combination buttons to cancel out kicks or hand passes like in PES. But I don't know what buttons are mapped out for Footy Showdown.
I like the idea of the RS press as a bounce button. Leave that with me 😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Back