Opinion Footy was better with Channel 10's 5 minute warning

Was footy better with the 5 minute warning?

• Total voters

Blackhawk42

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I remember my Apple Watch asking if I needed emergency services when Shuey was lining up in the 2017 EF because my heart rate was so high
What happened when Dom Sheed was lining up a year later?

Elmer_Judd

#Teague2020
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I actually think Quarters' ionic 'Leo Barry You Star' is made more meaningful by not knowing how much time was left in the telecast.

Also having a five minute warning makes it slightly harder for teams to milk the clock/chip the ball backwards in close games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MadMundy

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Doesn't really bother me to be honest, footy is footy and I'm gonna watch it no matter what channel it's on.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Noone should know how much time is left except the official timekeepers. Not players. Not the crowd. Not the players. not the coach or the bench.
And not tv viewers.

Like at ground, tv should have count up clock too from the start of every quarter.
Prone to corruption, though, if only one party has access to the time and there's no accountability for it.

GoGeta

Senior List
Mar 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
What if we had a voice come on at the 2 minute remaining mark that just repeated *insert team name* IS DOOMED over and over if a team is down by more than 18 points?

That would be exciting to see how the losers react.

I also believe that there should be two opposite exit points from each AFL stadium, one lined the nice lights and beds of beautiful flowers and the other a dark and dingy alley with rubbish and graffiti. Winning teams fans would get to stop and smell the flowers while the losers speed walk past broken bottles and cat shit.

See, i have got ideas too man!

harrythetiger

Jack Graham That Is 🏆
Sep 13, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Noone should know how much time is left except the official timekeepers. Not players. Not the crowd. Not the players. not the coach or the bench.
And not tv viewers.

Like at ground, tv should have count up clock too from the start of every quarter.
I like the crowd/tv not knowing the time.
I don’t think keeping the time away from the teams is a worthwhile venture, it’s such a valuable piece of information they would absolutely have someone taking it, if not already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Pretty sure Quarters and 05 was more iconic.

Huddos iconic call was the Nick Davis last quarter against the cats.
'Iconic' isn't a term that can only be attached to one thing at a time.

'Who would've thought the sequel could be just as good as the original?' lives long in our hearts down West Coast way.

Top Bottom