Opinion Footy was better with Channel 10's 5 minute warning

Was footy better with the 5 minute warning?

• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jorel6669

John Worsfold Medallist
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Just on the commentary, one of my favourite calls was Dennis Cometti's 2012 "Is that the Grand Final? Sydney are premiers!" and I doubt it comes out like that if there's no countdown clock. Just the stamp of it all to go with Malceski's celebration made it pure adrenaline.

Sure, no countdown clock gives you one context of excitement in having the unknown. But generally, you have an idea that the siren is likely to go pretty soon. The countdown clock gives you a different context of excitement. An example being West Coast beating Port in 2018... under a minute and the Eagles still needed 2 goals to win. Countdown clock meant a lot of us thought the game was done, but they get a goal with 3/4s of a minute left and then get a mark right before the siren for an after the siren shot at goal. The countdown clock actually added a different contextual excitement of pulling a win out of an almost probable loss. No countdown clock means that sniff of hope continues, even though you know not much time is left, there could be another minute and a half to score a goal.

Countdown clock doesn't detract or add in a specific volume of excitement. It's all contextual and comes down to personal preference. Ideally, we'd have coverage that offered both options and an option to watch with no commentary (or even different commentary to the different clocks) and everyone gets their preferred way of viewing the game. But highly unlikely that happens until all games are exclusively streaming, and even then, will the rights holder be innovative enough to provide these options? I doubt it.

So you guys have the gaffer tape and sound down workaround in the meantime. :)

Hollow Knight

Imperfect vessel
May 3, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I remember my Apple Watch asking if I needed emergency services when Shuey was lining up in the 2017 EF because my heart rate was so high
Meanwhile, Jared Polec's Apple Watch was asking him if it should inject a sympathetic dose of cyanide to make it all go away.

TY24

Little Nic’s Big Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Glory, Wildcats
Meanwhile, Jared Polec's Apple Watch was asking him if it should inject a sympathetic dose of cyanide to make it all go away.
FWIW I don’t think it was a free kick but it was against Kochie so it’s ok

brett15

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Ten had a panel of great commentators and you managed to choose the two worst ones 😉
I totally forgot they had Commetti lol

Was quite some time ago, but my memory is burnt by my old man going on and on about how much he couldn't listen to Robert Walls and muting them for the radio

Top Bottom