GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Thank you to you both for an open and frank discussion on mental health and the stigmas still associated with it

Its hard to drive with tears in your eyes but Danny Boy did it

Rohan, as you say there are places and people you can talk to or send a message , even here on the much maligned BF there are many many people willing to listen , or read a private message if anyone is struggling , or just wants to rant. Some of the relationship threads have highlighted some good opportunities for those who have struggled with break ups.

Rohan also thank you for sharing your story and I hope each day that you are OK that you share it with someone who might not be, and for those days when you are not ok you have people you touch base with.

All the best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chillblanator

Boot Polisher
Mar 10, 2008
The Edge of Orion
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
Thank you to you both for an open and frank discussion on mental health and the stigmas still associated with it

Its hard to drive with tears in your eyes but Danny Boy did it

Rohan, as you say there are places and people you can talk to or send a message , even here on the much maligned BF there are many many people willing to listen , or read a private message if anyone is struggling , or just wants to rant. Some of the relationship threads have highlighted some good opportunities for those who have struggled with break ups.

Rohan also thank you for sharing your story and I hope each day that you are OK that you share it with someone who might not be, and for those days when you are not ok you have people you touch base with.

All the best
That was indeed a stirring version of Danny Boy and it was hard not to shed a tear in honour of someone I did not know at all other than through the medium of TV and radio

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Excellent discussion as always and you covered most of the things others wouldn't, with care and compassion.

I think you missed one Important aspect of the reporting of the story and it's something that as far as I can tell has been overlooked thus far.

You touched on how the initial media reports were of an AFL identity having been killed in a car accident. This is a carefully crafted headline designed to ensure clicks and the spread of the story. Why do they do this? They know the family haven't been informed so they can't name the individual, yet they still feel the need to put their own self interests ahead of the wellbeing of others by enhancing, encouraging and actually initiating the speculation and scuttlebutt from the public.

Yes, people should hold off from naming people on social media in instances such as this. But SURELY the media organisations can hold off from writing a story that will only fuel the public's thirst for a name. In a media world of being so obsessed with breaking stories, this is surely one example of where holding fire is beneficial to all.

1870 yeh right

Draftee
Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
Finey and RoCo,
As articulated so well by previous posters on here, thanks for succinctly and respectfully highlighting the importance of looking out for, and looking after each others mental health.
Your podcasts don't shirk from tackling sensitive issues that occur on the footy field as well as those more frequently felt in society. Thanks for having the courage to start these conversations. Hope the podcast content format never changes and cheers for all your efforts to do them.
All the best.

RohanConnolly

Senior List
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the positive feedback from people here about our last episode, it's much appreciated. Obviously a difficult discussion, but one we thought was worth having, as much to try to find answers ourselves.

We'd never want to do anything which increased any risk of "copy cat" behaviour, but when the references to suicide are so transparent you do wonder what is the difference with coming out and saying as much.

It does occur to me that perhaps the sense of taboo about the topic actually helps glamourise it rather than emphasise the pain caused to so many people by the act.

Anyway, after a pretty sad week, at least we've just seen a couple of pretty good finals. We'll talk about them at length in our Sunday edition, which is being recorded tonight, hopefully up online by around 8pm.

Cheers,
Rohan

RohanConnolly

Senior List
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

Our Week 2 finals review episode is up. Finey and I do a full analysis of each of the two semi-finals, plus plenty of discussion of the Cameron, Hawkins and Greene incidents. There's the highs and lows in "Hot Or Not", and a couple of heartfelt rants. And, somehow, also a discussion about alternative club theme songs! Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Rohan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MSB ROYS

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Enjoyed the latest podcast as per usual and I appreciate your independent review of the games. The loss for the Lions is still raw and I can only image how the club and staff feels. Was also happy to hear that Finey mentioned the NEAFL team as an undefeated season is an achievement.

As for club songs, there is plenty of copies for the Bears first song "Dare to beat the Bear" used from 1987 but did you know that the club and AFL has no official recording "Brisbane Bear will live forever" used in 1996? The only version on youtube is after the 1996 finals win!

RohanConnolly

Senior List
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bigfooty folk,

This week on the Footyology Podcast, we talk about the Toby Greene suspension and managed outcomes, plus the Essendon coaching handover. “Media Watch” discusses the football media’s night of nights at the AFMA Awards dinner and runs through all the winners. There’s extensive previews of the two big preliminary finals, and plenty of interesting little tangents besides! Oh, and I'm putting a hit on the kid who broke my nose at school back in 1980. It’s the Footyology podcast … giving what you want AND what you need! Hope you enjoy it.

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi rohan
The chat about the the various final systems is always interesting having witnessed them all over the years.

The best system most people agree is final 5 but no way the AFL is going back to 6 finals games over 4 weeks.

It is possible however to have a final 6 with 9 games over 5 weeks that i think the AFL should look at.
Essentially after the first week where one team gets knocked out you are back to a final 5 system.
Anyway i can post more details if interested.

Another good podcast so far, half way through it

Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi Bigfooty folk,

This week on the Footyology Podcast, we talk about the Toby Greene suspension and managed outcomes, plus the Essendon coaching handover. “Media Watch” discusses the football media’s night of nights at the AFMA Awards dinner and runs through all the winners. There’s extensive previews of the two big preliminary finals, and plenty of interesting little tangents besides! Oh, and I'm putting a hit on the kid who broke my nose at school back in 1980. It’s the Footyology podcast … giving what you want AND what you need! Hope you enjoy it.

Absolutely love Footyology, my favourite footy podcast!

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For someone who cannot (easily) get to Andrew’s hamburgers, can someone post a picture of a burger when they go? Ive seen the online ones but want a photo from a punter.
I am very jealous i have been hearing about them all season and cannot have one as i am 1725km away (or 18 hour drive). 🍔

Top Bottom