wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
It’s a podcast in the middle of the offseason. Not live radio with breaks to clear... so why was everything so rushed and why were there constant reminders that “we don’t have time for this” or needing to move on? It’s crept into most podcasts now...Roco has become Finey’s personal timekeeper. which suggests the format is not compatible with the hosts! If a topic requires rambling, ramble! Then leave the editing to the editor!

Most successful sports podcast in the world Bill Simmons regularly goes 2 hours plus, sometimes 2 hours 30.
It was a bit exasperating that they decided to leave discussions of how they thought Dons and Saints went till next week. Would rather have heard that than the TV/movie music nostalgic segment (largely lost interest in those).

Even in the off-season this had been a period of a lot of footy events since their last podcast and while some of their non-footy stuff is interesting, it's footy where their views are really valued.

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It was a bit exasperating that they decided to leave discussions of how they thought Dons and Saints went till next week. Would rather have heard that than the TV/movie music nostalgic segment (largely lost interest in those).

Even in the off-season this had been a period of a lot of footy events since their last podcast and while some of their non-footy stuff is interesting, it's footy where their views are really valued.

Hi guys,

Appreciate the feedback. Re the length, understand entirely what you're saying, but probably the most consistent criticism I've had with our podcast is that it's too long! Our people at Acast also noticed numbers were dropping off the longer it went, so I've tried to find a happy medium I guess. But look, if enough people start saying we're cutting things too short I'll have a look at things again. And fair point about cutting footy content for other stuff. Will take that on board.

Cheers,
Rohan

revo333

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello Rohan,

Do you think You and Finey will continue to do the Thursday and Friday night after the game discussions on twitter next year?

I thought the shows really started to hit their groove once all the technical issues got ironed out.

The tipping segment had its moments as well!

I really think you guys could make it even better if you did it again.

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello Rohan,

Do you think You and Finey will continue to do the Thursday and Friday night after the game discussions on twitter next year?

I thought the shows really started to hit their groove once all the technical issues got ironed out.

The tipping segment had its moments as well!

I really think you guys could make it even better if you did it again.
Hi Revo,

Yep, that's certainly the plan at this stage. Had a lot of fun doing it and the numbers were good, just needs some reasonable sponsorship to fund it properly so hopefully something will emerge over summer.

Cheers,
Rohan

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

There's a new episode just gone up. This week we talk about David Noble as North Melbourne coach, speculate on the futures of a dozen or so delisted players and will or won't they get picked up again. There's some more feedback on rule changes, we rant, we observe, and Vinyl & Video this week goes (not quite) all the way back to 2007. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

The Made Guy

Club Legend
May 22, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi Revo,

Yep, that's certainly the plan at this stage. Had a lot of fun doing it and the numbers were good, just needs some reasonable sponsorship to fund it properly so hopefully something will emerge over summer.

Cheers,
Rohan
Just my 2c, feel free to disregard.

I actually thought it worked (looked) better when you had to do it "virtually" this year with split-screens etc, rather than when you were sitting next to each other on what seemed to be a very uncomfortable-looking set!

If you choose the return to the latter format next year, maybe a relaxed setting eg. a comfy sofa might produce a better visual!

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just my 2c, feel free to disregard.

I actually thought it worked (looked) better when you had to do it "virtually" this year with split-screens etc, rather than when you were sitting next to each other on what seemed to be a very uncomfortable-looking set!

If you choose the return to the latter format next year, maybe a relaxed setting eg. a comfy sofa might produce a better visual!
Hi Made Guy, thanks a lot for that, much appreciated. Yeah, set wasn't ideal, would hope that could be improved, but like you I did think the split screen thing worked pretty well in the finish, so maybe we'll just stay with that. Lot to organise in the meantime if it's going to continue, but all the feedback really helps, so cheers!

Rohan

Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
With Fine being proven correct within his claim that Frawley to the Saints was a done deal, fair to say he's a better newsbreaker than most footy journos going around!
Heard that and was a little sceptical myself after Finey once claimed on a podcast episode that Ben King had played his last game for G. Coast and next season would play alongside his brother at St. Kilda....and " all that had to be sorted out was which guernsey number and locker he would get".

Am happy he is bang on the money this time though. Good footy story.

joey_jo_jo

Rookie
Jun 25, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol loved Fineys rant about the Wallabies vs Argies game. Tell him he needs to watch a game not involving the wallabies to see a quality spectacle. The wallabies have followed a similar trajectory to the bombers since their heights of late 90s/early 00's. An average playing list and idiots running the game (I unfortunatley say that as both a bombers and wallabies supporter :( ).
Actually another similarity between the two teams was pinning all their hopes on a freakishly talented but flawed player who is no longer there (Folau/Daniher). Ignoring all of folaus nutjob stuff off the field, neither player ever seemed that keen on working on their weaknesses to compliment their natural ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

joey_jo_jo

Rookie
Jun 25, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Only watched the first ep of Schitt's creek and didnt rate although alot of people keep telling me you need to watch past the first ep. However completely agree about that certain type of american sitcom that alot of people rate but I just find dull (parks & rec, brooklyn 99, the american version of the office).
Give me the ascerbic /weird style HBO comedies like Curb your enthusiasm/Eastbound & down/Barry any day of the week over that network tv crap.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Another great album from 1998.

Cake - Prolonging the Magic

Can't fault Roco and Finey's movie choices, The Big Lebowski and There's Something About Mary, they are both rolled gold comedy classics.

Their tv choices leave a lot to be desired, The Royle Family and Sea Change, I just googled tv shows that started in 1998 and they're all terrible.so they get a pass.

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

A new episode is up now, featuring a full review of not only the national draft, but pre-season and rookie variety. Life Hacks has as broad scope this week, Vinyl & Video goes back to 2008 for the best of music, movies, TV and footy, and the draft episode rants are just as unhinged as usual. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Big Footy,

In our last show for 2020, we discuss Eddie McGuire's exit, are break-ups in AFL really news, and the cinematic merits of "Chopper". PLUS Life Hacks, Vinyl & Video from 2005, and a big Rant-Off! This'll keep you going for weeks!

PS. Thanks once again for all the support on here. Have a great Christmas & New Year.

Cheers,
Rohan

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
In light of his observation about The Killers English affectations and as a man of Trivia, Finey would be interested to know that the Killers got their name from the videoclip for the New Order Song, ‘Crystal’. The Killers were the fictional band in that video clip.

Smithdogmaddog

Club Legend
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised Finey didn't go with Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc as his song of 2005, although my fave song off that album is Dare.

One of the best albums of all time came out in 2005, Bloc Party - Silent Alarm.

Batman Begins stand out movie of 2005.

TV hard to go past the thick of it (would be right up your alley RoCo).

RohanConnolly

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi BigFooty,

We're back! The FOOTYOLOGY PODCAST kicks off for 2021 with a mega-show! This we're talking the Jonathon Patton investigation, we start our previews of YOUR club's season, there's Life Hacks, The Rant-Off, and Vinyl & Video goes back to 1999! Good to talk to you again!

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-podcast-patton-presidents-and-previews/

Remove this Banner Ad