Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The discussion on the state of the game was really intetesting.

Their takes this season on the new kicking out after a point are why I much prefer this podcast to other footy media shows.

Back around Round 2, Fine blasted the rule as a disaster saying how it did the opposite of its intention to open up play in that it just made it easier for sides to kick it near the boundary 65 metres out so even if they don't mark it, you could get a throw in at a relatively safe spot... and more defensive footy.

Initially I though it was a harsh and kneejerk reaction but ever since I've noticed he's totally right; so often players just kick it to that safe spot and a ball up or boundary throw in results.

And more recently Rohan has brought up statistical data to back up this about how goals from kick ins have declined this season.

Just the sort of good footy analysis that is far too absent elsewhere.

The discussion on the state of the game was really intetesting.

Their takes this season on the new kicking out after a point are why I much prefer this podcast to other footy media shows.

Back around Round 2, Fine blasted the rule as a disaster saying how it did the opposite of its intention to open up play in that it just made it easier for sides to kick it near the boundary 65 metres out so even if they don't mark it, you could get a throw in at a relatively safe spot... and more defensive footy.

Initially I though it was a harsh and kneejerk reaction but ever since I've noticed he's totally right; so often players just kick it to that safe spot and a ball up or boundary throw in results.

And more recently Rohan has brought up statistical data to back up this about how goals from kick ins have declined this season.

Just the sort of good footy analysis that is far too absent elsewhere.
Agreed - dropped in here to make the same comment.

:thumbsu:

I have a feeling that footyology's tipping point is near. It's a flat out great show. Quality wins in the end.

It seems to have at least doubled in exposure this year. Hopefully it continues as it’s comfortably my favourite form of footy media.

Hi guys,

Been a while. Just wanted to pop in to say thanks for your continued support of our little podcast, the feedback has been very much appreciated. It's not necessarily easy competing against the AFL juggernaut and the various monolithic media organisations from a commercial perspective but we're still hanging in there and hoping to grow both this podcast and the FOOTYOLOGY website a fair bit yet.

Happy to keep posting episodes here if people want, or not if that's the case. We're keeping an eye on this thread, just let us know. And any comments, criticisms etc. all welcome.

Here's the Round 12 preview edition, anyway, recorded this morning, and once again, thanks everyone who has taken an interest.

Cheers,
RoCo

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-podcast-sackings-salutes-and-scraps/

I'm glad Finey brought up the topic of Eleni Glouftsis on the latest podcast and agree that she isn't up to AFL standard and should be dropped.

She had a shocker in the St Kilda v West Coast game but I doubt she'll be dropped as being politically correct is more important than being competent.

Only started listening to this podcast this year, it's a better wrap up of the games than you get on any of the tv footy shows and the asides just add to it.:thumbsu:

Judging by the online reaction to her umpiring today, guessing Glouftsis may come up for discussion on this week's episode.

Also, can't believe Rohan has never watched The Simpson's Poochie episode!

Last edited:
it's a better wrap up of the games than you get on any of the tv footy shows and the asides just add to it.:thumbsu:

Agreed. Proper summary of all the games, actual insight, and pretty funny. Can't go wrong with it.

The fact it's up so soon after the last game & available to listen to Monday morning is even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm stunned that Rohan has n

Judging by the online reaction to her umpiring today, guessing Glouftsis may come up for discussion on this week's episode.

Also, can't believe Rohan has never watched The Simpson's Poochie episode!

Yeah she was terrible again in the Carlton v Brisbane game, plucking out nothing free kicks that even the commentators were dumbfounded by.

She just isn't up to AFL standard but the AFL will keep on appointing her as they are desperate to be seen to be politically correct with female umpires.

Not that she's the only sub standard umpire getting around in the AFL, umpiring standards are at an all time low but rather than fix the problem the AFL are now resorting to evicting spectators from the stadium for daring to offer some much needed feedback from over the fence, it's bloody farcical.

Yeah she was terrible again in the Carlton v Brisbane game, plucking out nothing free kicks that even the commentators were dumbfounded by.

She just isn't up to AFL standard but the AFL will keep on appointing her as they are desperate to be seen to be politically correct with female umpires.

Not that she's the only sub standard umpire getting around in the AFL, umpiring standards are at an all time low but rather than fix the problem the AFL are now resorting to evicting spectators from the stadium for daring to offer some much needed feedback from over the fence, it's bloody farcical.

She may well get dropped again at the end of this round, so at least the AFL don't regard her as a protected species. I don't think she's the worst umpire by any means.

Having said that, I think umpiring needs to go full-time. it is a much scrutinized profession after all. There's $2.5 billion floating about in the AFL these days, surely they can set some of that aside to establish a properly run umpiring division.

Those 2 wallies in the crowd yelling out abuse to the umps on consecutive weeks probably shouldn't have been evicted. The AFL may be a little bit precious in that regard. A player lining up for goal on the boundary would cop far worse abuse than that.

I'd love for them to completely ignore the umpire conversation.

Hear it on reagular footy media constantly.
Hear it on here from the sooky supporters.
Hear it at the game from one eyed fans.

So far, this podcast is a bit of a refuge from the CONSTANT umpire complaining. Really hoping it stays that way.

Hi folks,

Round 13 Preview edition of the podcast, titled "Bald-headed flogs & barrackers", has just been posted. Finey and I talk about the crackdown on crowds, the big coach hunt, our "Media Watch" segment talks about coverage of problem gambling and the case of the disappearing stats, we preview the games, and there's a competition with prizes, too.

This site doesn't seem to allow you to embed Whooshkaa unfortunately, but HERE'S a link from Footyology website to the ep. if you're interested.

Cheers,
Rohan

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-podcast-bald-headed-flogs-barrackers/

Hey Rohan.
You can access the stats you are talking about on the AFL app.
AFL app is incredible when compared to others. People talk about the professionalism of US sports compared to the AFL, but as an NBA fan, I can say the AFL app is 100 times better then the NBA one. Not sure if the tracker data is available to all, or if it's just to telstra live customers (free if you're with Telatra - pays for itself) but the stat and replays are terrific.

Hi folks,

The Round 13 Review edition of the Footyology podcast is up, the usual review of all games, Hot Or Not and The Rant-Off, plus some complimentary AC/DC to finish! Also, for those still missing Finey on the old SEN, in case you weren't aware, he's now doing a weekly "Finey's Final Siren" column for the Footyology website. I've also attached the link to his piece this week about how the Cats are recreating the old days of the reserves and under 19s.

Cheers,
Rohan

https://dashboard.whooshkaa.com/karl-bianco-1/episodes/384817/edit

https://footyology.com.au/fineys-final-siren-old-model-keeps-cats-contending/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back