Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

It’s a bumper edition of the Footyology podcast in our Round 16 preview! As well as mulling over the latest news about Dayne Beams, Majak Daw and Orazio Fantasia, in a special “Media Watch”, WA football journalist and Footyology columnist Shayne Hope joins us to talk about the nuances of the WA derby and covering AFL footy in the west. We preview all nine games, take some interesting detours into (believe it or not) monkeys riding greyhounds and footballers doing crappy ads, and give YOU a chance to win some prizes in our weekly competition. If you haven't tried it, give us a spin!

Cheers,
Rohan

In last week's preview pod, Rohan Connolly expressed his bemusement at how an opinion piece by Ben Dixon on why Clarkson should go to Carlton was hyped up the footy media as something of substance to such a level that Clarkson and players had to publicly deny it.

I was thinking of that when I heard Kennett interviewed on 3AW over the weekend and Caroline Wilson was hyping up this issue in her patented Footy Classified style of how there had to be more to it and Carlton were after him and the relationship Dixon and Clarkson had (even though he hasn't played under Clarkson since 2007). Kennett predictably fobbed it off and it went nowhere.

As pointless as it was, the exchange highlighted Connolly's issue with the hype surrounding it. A story about nothing more than an ex-player's opinion was treated as something of substance and lots of pointless debate and questions resulted.

These days it's almost as if the more you listen/watch of the footy media, the less you learn about the game.

Just needed to say that the end of Sunday night's podcast was ******* hellish. Like, cringeworthy, embarrassingly bad.

I reckon I've probably listened to every minute of this podcast since it start - until Sunday night, where I turned it off before the end. Seriously RohanConnolly - don't ever put that s**t on the show again, it was ******* awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Our Round 16 Review edition is done and online now. All feedback welcome. And thanks again for your support (except for Finey's rap ;)).

Cheers,
Rohan

Thought very apt summation by the two hosts (especially Fine) of how one of the biggest problems with the game atm is that too often even when good sides are playing well they don't score much because they're overcoached and too defensive minded.

Don't really get why Rohan seems so bothered by Alan Richardson being under pressure.

This is his 6th season as coach - when was the last time a coach in VFL/AFL history has survived so long without a finals appearance? All but one of their wins have been against the bottom four and three of those by a kick.

Again Rohan was bemoaning pressure going on Richardson, despite another mediocre performance against North Melbourne yesterday.

Sure, the Saints have had injuries this season but Richardson's has had six seasons to build a viable list with depth and by any measure he's failed to get close to standard. Would there be any Saints fans at this stage happy to see him continue on for another season?

Thought very apt summation by the two hosts (especially Fine) of how one of the biggest problems with the game atm is that too often even when good sides are playing well they don't score much because they're overcoached and too defensive minded.

Again Rohan was bemoaning pressure going on Richardson, despite another mediocre performance against North Melbourne yesterday.

Sure, the Saints have had injuries this season but Richardson's has had six seasons to build a viable list with depth and by any measure he's failed to get close to standard. Would there be any Saints fans at this stage happy to see him continue on for another season?

There wouldn't be many, I think most would like to see him moved on and replaced as coach for next year.

He's now St Kilda's 2nd longest serving coach yet we haven't played finals once under him, even taking into account our injuries that just isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Here's the Round 17 Preview edition of the podcast, hot out of the studio! Finey and I discuss the Gold Coast problem, the fall-out from Kevin Bartlett's SEN departure & Chris Judd's faux pas, as well as the usual game previews & competition. Hope you like it.

Was looking forward to the KB sacking discussion and it didn't disappoint. The revelation that not only was KB forced to loose all his regulars but had to tell them personally was I suspect tipping point for KB to just phone in it in on afternoons.

Things guaranteed to be mentioned in EVERY episode....

Rohan really likes Willie Rioli
Rohan really likes Mitch Brown
Rohan constantly searching for Adelaide to return to 2017 form. 😂😂

Ant others?
Rohan mentioning how high scoring the 2000 season was, must've mentioned it 4-5 times this year.

Although this year's leader is Adelaide won't get back to their 2017 form; they even did an extended discussion on it today!

Last edited:
One future topic of like to hear discussed for a Media Watch segment is the time Fine called for the sacking of Scott Watters and then he was sacked weeks later.

Would be interesting to hear what made him do such a public call and whether he had any regrets about it until Waters was sacked in bizarre circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back