Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Rohan! Great podcast. I've become a compulsive listener.

the latest musings of AFL football operations manager Steven Hocking on the state of the game and more potential rule changes.

BigFooty is lousy with conspiracy theories about how the AFL is rigged. Generally speaking, I just don't buy conspiracy theories - too little faith in humans working together in secrecy. However, Hocking's unjustified and unevidenced claims make me wonder. Add the continual fiddling with the rules and "managed outcomes" coming out of AFL House, the FIXture and umpire interpretations changing during the season, I have genuine concerns that the sporting integrity in AFL is strong.

Love to hear you and Finey discuss WTF is going on.

I very much enjoyed the accidental (?) irony of discussing how this is the least anticipated Hawthorn/Geelong game in years... to talking about who they've smoked a dart with and where they'd done it.

Eminently relatable for me as well. The stunners who'll bum are dart off you at the pub are nowhere near as memorable as, in my case, having a cheeky one with Ricky Ponting or Josh Dugan.

The latest episode has landed. Now I can get in the car and drive to the shops at 20km/h while I listen. :D.... then get a 7-Eleven coffee and drive around the block for a while until the cops pull me over and wonder what the far'k I'm doing... which has happened. Ha.
"Why are you driving so slowly?" "I'm a safe driver." "No, really, why are you driving so slowly around the side streets?" "Eh, er, I'm listening to something while I drink this coffee in the haven which is my car." :p

Last edited:
Hi folks, latest ep of the podcast has just dropped. This week we're talking AFL "spin" on rule changes, and in "Media Watch", Finey and I select our commentary "Dream Teams" for both radio and TV. Along with all the usual previews, prizes, and other assorted piffle, of course! Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

Gee, Finey was thorough about why he chose his commentary dream teams, giving well-thought-out reasons for selecting each person. He clearly plays close attention to many callers, and listens to probably all the stations. It makes me realise how footy radio commentary just goes in one of my ears and straight the other. :) In fact, it's made me feel like an unperceptive dolt who just walks around bumping into things. :p

Oh yeah, Rohan's were good, too :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Derwayne cops it because of the things Finey criticised Speed about. That back of the card analysis. '' do you know that Player was taken at pick 88of the supplementary draft ''

Also his '' this is a close one '' or ' this has tightened up' after a team kicks a goal to be within 48 points of the oppo

Any commentary team without Adam Papalia in it is no good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derwayne cops it because of the things Finey criticised Speed about. That back of the card analysis. '' do you know that Player was taken at pick 88of the supplementary draft ''

Also his '' this is a close one '' or ' this has tightened up' after a team kicks a goal to be within 48 points of the oppo

Any commentary team without Adam Papalia in it is no good
Of all the rubbish commentators cop, the only one I think truly deserves it is Dwayne! It's funny how different people like different things.

I cant stand his sayings like "we'll get a ball in". No Dwayne, we will get a boundary throw in. "That was crazy good". Ugh.

Agreed with all others, especially Tim Lane and Granlin for radio and Huddo for TV.

I dunno that if i listened to it now i would feel the same, but i used to love the army reserve cup commentary with Peter McKenna and Don Scott. I watched crappy games just to hear them. Mckenna and Rabbit Warren for the play by play, Henri Le Conte and Don Scott for the special comments, and Michael Long boundary rider and when it gets boring Longy can bring out the guitar and play a tune like he did on the Footy Show occasionally

RoCo, 2 things

- please stop Finey growling right into his microphone, it blast your ******* ears out when using headphones

- get him a cough button when he clears his throat. That’s just gross and unprofessional

Otherwise, great show!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Amazing podcast Roco. Great to hear Finey again ! Old late night SEN memories come flooding back .. oops!

Commentary dream team , inspired stuff

Hilarious episode.
Bloody good stuff.
Gags flying left right and centre in the last 15 minutes.

Moses. Commodore 64. Heman. Roco somehow knowing the drummer from cheap trick - Bunny Carlos or something obscure.... Then claiming everyone would know that :)

Last edited:
G'day Big Footy folk,

The Round 19 Review ep of the podcast is up. We wrap up all nine games, discuss the highs and lows of the weekend and go for broke in The Rant-Off. Don't forget our competition, either! The Footyology podcast ... we know where the bodies are buried!

RohanConnolly I wonder if it might be worth using the media watch segment to discus some of the stories circulating about individuals in the footy media, using some questionable methods to try and get a story. Ethically, some of the things doing the rounds are pretty ordinary and either they need to be called out as rubbish, or the individuals named and shamed.

No one else in the media has the courage or correct platform to do this, but surely being called out by your peers is a far more effective way of dealing with issues, than some nuffy who will just get blocked on Twitter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back