Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I can't imagine what it's like having a public profile and having anonymous strangers bagging me on the internet knowing that I'll read it, I have no experience of this. So maybe you will write off my opinion as being completely ignorant (which would be fair enough).

But I think you give way too much airtime calling out some bigfooty flog, who is probably posting from his mum's basement jerking himself off saying "i have an insider, I know s**t, pay attention to me!"

I love the Footyology podcast, I love that it's different, and I love that it's independent. But I reckon that responding to this s**t is beneath both of you. And I reckon spending almost 10 minutes on it is beneath not only you, but all of us as listeners. It's just not good to listen to. If you have any issue with what someone has written on BF, address it here or send them a PM - don't give this flog the attention he so dearly craves (but doesn't deserve) by giving it 10 minutes on the show.

I also say this in the most respectful way that I possibly can - I think after Finey explained what happened with Hutchison a couple of months ago, his time at SEN should've been left alone on Footyology. I think it's obvious that Mark still doesn't quite understand why Hutchison didn't want him, I think it's obvious that he's defensive of his ratings and his time at SEN, and I think it's obvious that he's still hurt by how it ended. I just fear that what is a good, independent media watch segment is becoming an opportunity to grind axes (be it with SEN or with some anonymous flog BF poster.)

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi guys,

Thought I'd post this piece by Finey on the Footyology website about things we'll never see in footy again. I reckon it's one of his best efforts, a cracking good read. Hope you enjoy it...

lol,magnificent read,im only 3 yrs younger than finey and everything he describes resonates 100%...cold pies,warm soft drink,jam donuts,
queues to use the toilet with no paper at western oval,ordering 3 pies for you and ya mates at arden st from the caravan behind the stand then running off without paying only to get caught by the constabulary thus spending a whole qtr being dressed down(not literally) in theyre caravan...youd get away with it at the G becos the crowds were bigger,ya never went behind the scoreboard at windy hill unless ya wanted to get in a fight,princess park was as described,pretty tame and quaint compared to vic park..and the ladies at arden st,ya dare not try take a spot on the fence when one of them got up for 10 minutes to go the loo,there would always be a north scarf spread out on the seat anyway to signal to you to back off...ahhh the glory days.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't imagine what it's like having a public profile and having anonymous strangers bagging me on the internet knowing that I'll read it, I have no experience of this. So maybe you will write off my opinion as being completely ignorant (which would be fair enough).

But I think you give way too much airtime calling out some bigfooty flog, who is probably posting from his mum's basement jerking himself off saying "i have an insider, I know s**t, pay attention to me!"

I love the Footyology podcast, I love that it's different, and I love that it's independent. But I reckon that responding to this s**t is beneath both of you. And I reckon spending almost 10 minutes on it is beneath not only you, but all of us as listeners. It's just not good to listen to. If you have any issue with what someone has written on BF, address it here or send them a PM - don't give this flog the attention he so dearly craves (but doesn't deserve) by giving it 10 minutes on the show.

I also say this in the most respectful way that I possibly can - I think after Finey explained what happened with Hutchison a couple of months ago, his time at SEN should've been left alone on Footyology. I think it's obvious that Mark still doesn't quite understand why Hutchison didn't want him, I think it's obvious that he's defensive of his ratings and his time at SEN, and I think it's obvious that he's still hurt by how it ended. I just fear that what is a good, independent media watch segment is becoming an opportunity to grind axes (be it with SEN or with some anonymous flog BF poster.)

All good. Understand that point of view. Thanks for the feedback and considered response.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Despite my teams woeful season i have found that i have enjoyed this season a lot more and i put it down to this podcast. Twice a week i look forward to 90mins of footy chat without the bullshit plus i enjoy the tangents.

Being in a footy vacuum up here its great to know i can be across the games week in week out.

So hats off gentlemen

Cmon nobby, is that really necessary?

Other than that, I really good post!

Hi guys,

Latest episode of the podcast is up. This week, Finey and I talk Blake Caracella's move home, the absence of Alex Rance from Richmond's flag tilt and the status of Joe Daniher. "Media Watch" discusses women in AFL commentary and anonymous internet trolls, with specific reference to another thread on this site. And, of course, the usual previews & prizes.

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi Roco.

Switched on SEN and heard an exchange between a caller and Kane Cornes pertaining to "trolls". The caller queried the use of the term, and how it is bandied about, when a player is criticised. Case in point, Cornes labelled a troll for his comments pertaining to Adelaide Crows captain Tex Walkers form.

Not sure if you have covered this angle on the troll topic, but interested to hear you thoughts.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Forums like Bigfooty are peppered with those so called "in the know" types that like to spread rumours just to big note themselves. You just take what they say with a grain of salt as most of their rumours turn out to be rubbish but even when they are proven false some of that mud can still stick so I can understand why Finey would be annoyed by it and would want to set the record straight.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond

good post tho i disagree on the point that finey gave too much air time on being defamed...for ppl such as myself whove never heard the reason behind his departure before & has read some not so nice things said about him on here i fully understand the time taken in sraightening up the record,i thought it was handled professionally and succintly as could be considering the accusations thrown...& for the record ive been managed out of an organisation before,
let me tell you. organisations will not pay u a redundancy if they have a case against you based on misconduct or behaviour issues,that would be insane..they just dont do it

whatis

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wanted to say that I enjoy this podcast and its consistent format. Really all I need to hear is a bit of focus on each game in a round (before and after) but for some reason that's hard to find anywhere else. Maybe should look at adding Patreon or other form of donation sourcing to the website like other podcasts have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wanted to say that I enjoy this podcast and its consistent format. Really all I need to hear is a bit of focus on each game in a round (before and after) but for some reason that's hard to find anywhere else. Maybe should look at adding Patreon or other form of donation sourcing to the website like other podcasts have.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. We actually do have a facility for donations on the Footyology website, through one of our partners, Inkl, an independent news site. There's a button to make a donation at the end of every article on the site, including the podcasts. Cheers.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi folks, Round 21 Review edition of the pod is up! Finey and I run through all nine games, the highs, lows and extremes (both of weather and scoreboard variety) of the weekend, while Canberra and the Bombers come in for a serve in The Rant-Off. Hope you enjoy it ...

Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
Great pod, Roco and Finey. Straight after the round finishes too. Kudos!

Rammstein, love it!

May I suggest a future sunday night song to help ease the pain of a poor game.

Forums like Bigfooty are peppered with those so called "in the know" types that like to spread rumours just to big note themselves. You just take what they say with a grain of salt as most of their rumours turn out to be rubbish but even when they are proven false some of that mud can still stick so I can understand why Finey would be annoyed by it and would want to set the record straight.

I get where you are coming from. But if someone wants to big note themselves and gain fame and fortune, would they therefore not use their real names? Imagine, poster X starting a rumour which gains international notoriety. A random person says "THATS ME!!!!!" and seeks the camera. News organisations with any acumen would then seek evidence that poster X is in fact that person.

I know many who have texted sen and other radio stations anonymously. Then told everyone that was their text read out. OK anonymous.

This thread has turned to s**t.

Let's face it. nobby is a crap poster who cracks the s**ts at anyone, anything and anywhere. If it wasn't one particular point of the episode, it would've been another. Not just that, there's a very personally tone to s/he/it post.

Even if s/he/it makes a good point. You may take it on board, but don't acknowledge it

If I were Finey, In the next episode of Footyology, I'd bring up the first line in nobby's post, then spend 10 hours minutes telling s/he/it that they don't know what it's like and to stfu. The after that, I'd spend 15 minutes putting to bed once and for all MacMum's pot shots.

U mad?

sounds like some journalists!

Hi folks, Round 21 Review edition of the pod is up! Finey and I run through all nine games, the highs, lows and extremes (both of weather and scoreboard variety) of the weekend, while Canberra and the Bombers come in for a serve in The Rant-Off. Hope you enjoy it ...

Another terrific podcast! I feel it's not polished or seamless. But that's what I love about it, its rustic, raw and down to earth. No agendas, you and finey are not beholden to an organisation, and it shows.

Comparing Adelaide to Canberra

Right in the feels

I chuckled when finey said that, and thought of your post!

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

The Round 22 Preview episode of the podcast is done! And I have to say, we think this is one of the best this season. We discuss the David Teague appointment at Carlton gig, the sad passing of Graham “Polly” Farmer, Gill McLachlan turning player manager and the mysterious case of a basketball “Phil Inn”. In “Media Watch”, we talk overreactions to the Essendon thrashing and media merry-go-rounds. We preview all nine games in full, give YOU the chance to win PRIZES, and have a bloody good laugh as well. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,
Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back