Footyology podcast 2024

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Great episode guys. You've hit your straps. I was surprised the other day to find out that someone I know who dresses like Jim Kerr C 1982 and studies Latin in his spare time (a true original) is as big a fan as I am. That's broad spectrum appeal. Keep going with the digressions -- the ruminations about 'On the Buses' and the like add a lot of charm, and actually add to the footy analysis. The game has changed radically, just like society, and I love the way you explore the linkages. No one else does that.

Actually, what a year it has been. Highlights: 1) Finey's attempt at rap. Where in this day and age do you hear anything like that? In the finest traditions of Australian auto-piss-taking. More, you bald beast. 2) The Roco rants. Always authentic, well-structured and funny. The wounded note that occasionally creeps in has me in stitches. 3) Damn you for this, but the Andrew's Hamburgers promos. I've just sent my son off to Albert Park from Balaclava in the rain because of you lot. 4) The smarts. In the end, I keep coming back for the analysis and the love of the game. You can't fake that.

Thanks for all the hard work this year. It means a lot to many. Some of the best radio going around.

Hey Alcoa,

That's Les Fong in your avatar, right? Anyway, just wanted to say thanks so much for those kind words, really do appreciate it. Without crying poor, we really don't make much (you'd be surprised how little!) out of doing this, and it does involve a bit of work, so just knowing that people are genuinely enjoying it is a payoff in itself. That goes for everyone who takes the time to write stuff on this thread btw, I consider all you guys our barometer of sorts, so thank you all!

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Connolly was at the post-match presser? I'm sure he said recently he hadn't been to one in years.

Hey Wagstaff,

Not sure I said years, but if I did, was taking a bit of licence! ;) I always went when I was with The Age and sometimes while doing boundary for SEN or 3AW, but till tonight I hadn't been to one for probably 12mths or so. Didn't really have to be there tonight, but had finished off my match report and knew I'd be waiting forever for car park to clear anyway, so thought might as well. Also, hadn't stolen a bottle of Gatorade off the table for a while, either, so someone had to!

AlcoaCat

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Perth Cardinals
Hey Alcoa,

That's Les Fong in your avatar, right? Anyway, just wanted to say thanks so much for those kind words, really do appreciate it. Without crying poor, we really don't make much (you'd be surprised how little!) out of doing this, and it does involve a bit of work, so just knowing that people are genuinely enjoying it is a payoff in itself. That goes for everyone who takes the time to write stuff on this thread btw, I consider all you guys our barometer of sorts, so thank you all!
Hi Roco, yes, that's Captain Courageous. One of those really classy Western Australian players who decided (or didn't get the opportunity) to travel East. The Cats could have benefited from someone like him last night.

I realise you probably aren't making much cash at the moment at Footyology, but better days surely will come. You've got a winning format and you must already have seen audience growth this year. Good times just around the bend, I reckon.

I'm leaving Australia permanently in about a month, and I can honestly say that walking to work from St Kilda to the city while listening to Footyology and other good podcasts will be a lasting happy memory. Really looking forward to your analysis on Sunday, and am hoping to hear your thoughts on the Chris Scott issue. I think it's fair to say that the majority of the fan base have had enough with the painfully slow defensive game plan. Also look forward to your take on what on earth was he thinking in relation to Rhys Stanley. Stuff up? Arrogance? Or a good idea that went wrong? That pre-match interview where he joked about the weather certainly got up the noses of many.

It would make my day to run across you and Finey at Andrew's Hamburgers before I leave. Here's hoping you can organise another get-together for your listeners at that esteemed institution before October 14!

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

The week one finals review episode is UP! We wrap up all the qualifying and elimination finals in detail in Wrap-A-Round, there's the highs and lows in Hot Or Not, and a couple of slightly unhinged rants. We also issue a public apology to those connected with '70s English sitcom "On The Buses". It’s the Footyology podcast – "I'll get you Butler!"

Hi guys,

The week one finals review episode is UP! We wrap up all the qualifying and elimination finals in detail in Wrap-A-Round, there's the highs and lows in Hot Or Not, and a couple of slightly unhinged rants. We also issue a public apology to those connected with '70s English sitcom "On The Buses". It’s the Footyology podcast – "I'll get you Butler!"

Hopefully not Dan Butler! Fun fact, Dan Butlers form slump has coincided with his move from 40 to 7.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thought the discussion on On The Couch was very interesting as the alienating way they use stats was probably why I disliked it when I watched it a few weeks ago.

Fine's comments on SBS soccer coverage in the Les Murray era was pretty interesting.

Re: the actor on On The Buses whose life ended tragically, I think they were referring to the wrong one as it was the actor who played Stan's friend Jack (Bob Grant) whose life was a dismal and sad one after the show ended.

I sort of know where Finey was coming from re On The Couch, because AFL stats analysis is far too jargonistic – but he picked the wrong target in Les Murray. Murray was very much all about social context and culture - the analysis was led by the former pros, especially Johnny Warren (a terrific explainer) and then Craig Foster (granted, a much more technical analyst).

I don't agree that SBS's analysis did anything to alienate viewers - it arguably did the opposite and attracted vast audiences on a network that was otherwise ignored or inaccessible. People who hate soccer and call it boring will always do that - the game just isn't for them (fair enough).

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

Sad week for all us footy fans. The week two finals preview episode is up online now. We talk about Danny Frawley's death, not just the news and his legacy, but (on RUOK Day) media reporting of mental health issues in general. It's a serious and at times uncomfortable discussion, but hopefully of some value. There's some trade news as well, extensive previews of two big semi-finals, and some terrific entries for our latest competition.

Cheers,
Rohan

What an insightful, mature and open discussion re Spud and mental health. Amongst the over-produced, sanitised crap that most of the AFL media has become it's refreshing to hear two people who are capable of having real conversations.

Agree, great episode and excellent discussion on mental health. RohanConnolly

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Thank you to you both for an open and frank discussion on mental health and the stigmas still associated with it

Its hard to drive with tears in your eyes but Danny Boy did it

Rohan, as you say there are places and people you can talk to or send a message , even here on the much maligned BF there are many many people willing to listen , or read a private message if anyone is struggling , or just wants to rant. Some of the relationship threads have highlighted some good opportunities for those who have struggled with break ups.

Rohan also thank you for sharing your story and I hope each day that you are OK that you share it with someone who might not be, and for those days when you are not ok you have people you touch base with.

All the best

Lyttelton Ranger

Squadron Leader
Mar 10, 2008
The Lord's Pyjamas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
Thank you to you both for an open and frank discussion on mental health and the stigmas still associated with it

Its hard to drive with tears in your eyes but Danny Boy did it

Rohan, as you say there are places and people you can talk to or send a message , even here on the much maligned BF there are many many people willing to listen , or read a private message if anyone is struggling , or just wants to rant. Some of the relationship threads have highlighted some good opportunities for those who have struggled with break ups.

Rohan also thank you for sharing your story and I hope each day that you are OK that you share it with someone who might not be, and for those days when you are not ok you have people you touch base with.

All the best

That was indeed a stirring version of Danny Boy and it was hard not to shed a tear in honour of someone I did not know at all other than through the medium of TV and radio

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Excellent discussion as always and you covered most of the things others wouldn't, with care and compassion.

I think you missed one Important aspect of the reporting of the story and it's something that as far as I can tell has been overlooked thus far.

You touched on how the initial media reports were of an AFL identity having been killed in a car accident. This is a carefully crafted headline designed to ensure clicks and the spread of the story. Why do they do this? They know the family haven't been informed so they can't name the individual, yet they still feel the need to put their own self interests ahead of the wellbeing of others by enhancing, encouraging and actually initiating the speculation and scuttlebutt from the public.

Yes, people should hold off from naming people on social media in instances such as this. But SURELY the media organisations can hold off from writing a story that will only fuel the public's thirst for a name. In a media world of being so obsessed with breaking stories, this is surely one example of where holding fire is beneficial to all.

Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
Finey and RoCo,
As articulated so well by previous posters on here, thanks for succinctly and respectfully highlighting the importance of looking out for, and looking after each others mental health.
Your podcasts don't shirk from tackling sensitive issues that occur on the footy field as well as those more frequently felt in society. Thanks for having the courage to start these conversations. Hope the podcast content format never changes and cheers for all your efforts to do them.
All the best.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the positive feedback from people here about our last episode, it's much appreciated. Obviously a difficult discussion, but one we thought was worth having, as much to try to find answers ourselves.

We'd never want to do anything which increased any risk of "copy cat" behaviour, but when the references to suicide are so transparent you do wonder what is the difference with coming out and saying as much.

It does occur to me that perhaps the sense of taboo about the topic actually helps glamourise it rather than emphasise the pain caused to so many people by the act.

Anyway, after a pretty sad week, at least we've just seen a couple of pretty good finals. We'll talk about them at length in our Sunday edition, which is being recorded tonight, hopefully up online by around 8pm.

Cheers,
Rohan

Back